Register

Thread: New amp(s) day!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

Default New amp(s) day!

I sold my 5150 head on craigslist last week and used the money to buy two smaller amps: one of the new Peavey Vypyr modeling amps (30 watt version) and a used Peavey Classic 50 2x12.

I'm still stunned at how great the Vypyr sounds, especially for the price ($199.99 from Sweetwater). The Line6 stuff has always sounded a little brittle and artifical to my ears (I've had a Pod 2.0 for years). Naturally, I didn't pay much attnetion when Peavey introduced their take on the modeling amp last year...that is until a couple of weeks back when I stumbled across the youtube videos that this German guy recorded using the 30 watt Vypyr. This one still amazes me!
    His name is Matthias Arp, btw. Be sure to check out all of the songs he has posted. He's an excellent writer. The guy definitely has a great ear for melody.

At first, I was seriously thinking about using most of the cash from the 5150 sale to buy one of the more expensive Vypyrs that have a tube power section, but then changed my mind when I realized that I could afford to buy 2 amps if I went with the cheaper Vypyr. Plus I wasn't sure if I would be 100% happy with one of the Vypyrs, so I decided to go ahead and get another good tube amp as well.

I bought a Peavey Classic 30 as a more practical amp a couple of years back and I still use it every Sunday for the contemporary worship service at my church. So naturally, I was curious to step up to the 30's big brother. You hear all the time about how people swear by the Classic 50 and it's not hard at all to see (or hear) why. I got this one off ebay for $365. The clean channel is simply beautiful and the overdrive channel is FAT & warm. There's definitely some similarities between the 30 & 50 tone-wise, but to my ears the 50 seems to like hot pickups a lot better than the 50. Then again, my 30 still has the stock Electro Harmonix/Sovtek tubes. It was a welcome surprise to open up the Classic 50 when it arrived and find it full of JJ's! To top it off, it just has the good 'ol tube amp smell when it warms up (anybody else know what I'm talking about?).

I don't regret selling the 5150 one bit. I just wish I could find someone to buy the cabinet now!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Nice! Looks like you have all your bases covered tonally. Have you tried the vypyr through your cabinet yet? I'm asking because I just bought a Vox Valvetronix vt50 and I love it. It sounds terrific through my 4 x 12. Really nice cleans, great Vox tones, and a bunch of different high gain tones too. I too might be selling my 5150 head since I just don't need it anymore. The Classic 50 is just a great amp to have around too. Well done.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Nice! Looks like you have all your bases covered tonally. Have you tried the vypyr through your cabinet yet? I'm asking because I just bought a Vox Valvetronix vt50 and I love it. It sounds terrific through my 4 x 12. Really nice cleans, great Vox tones, and a bunch of different high gain tones too. I too might be selling my 5150 head since I just don't need it anymore. The Classic 50 is just a great amp to have around too. Well done.
    Nope, haven't done that since the 30 watt model doesn't have an external speaker jack. I'd be interested to hear what one of the other models would sound like through a 4x12 though.
    I'm still liking the Vypyr, except for the non-adjustable noise gate! Hopefully, Peavey will address this in a future firmware update. Most of the users seem to have this complaint.

Last Online

08.05.12 @ 01:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Matthias, I was extremely impressed by the quality of your vids and amp. Obviously being on the VH board, I have to ask if you have gotten a good Van Halen-esque sound out of the vypyr? Or at least an 1984 brown sound from it? Your brown sound vid to me didn't showcase the amp as well as I'd hoped.