Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default anyone sell a cheaper exact copy of the duncan 78 pickup?

does anyone make and sell an exact copy of the seymour duncan 78 pickup for cheaper?im looking for one..stan

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try Guitar Fetish (GFS) they have something called the VEH, not an exact copy like you mention but dirt cheap, at this price you can give it a shot:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/veviexhotzep.html
    Last edited by Berseker; 09.24.09 at 11:35 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berseker View Post
    Try Guitar Fetish (GFS) they have something called the VEH, not an exact copy like you mention but dirt cheap, at this price you can give it a shot:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/veviexhotzep.html
    From what I recall...Andrew has at least one, and he seemed happy with them for the price. What you say about them now Andrew? Do they still float yer boat?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    From what I recall...Andrew has at least one, and he seemed happy with them for the price. What you say about them now Andrew? Do they still float yer boat?
    I totally dig the VEH--and the neck VEH has become one of my absolute favorite neck humbuckers. I've got them in three guitars now.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmf5150 View Post
    does anyone make and sell an exact copy of the seymour duncan 78 pickup for cheaper?im looking for one..stan
    http://smitspickups.com/
    Look for the EBS-2 model after clicking the "limited editions" tab. I own three of them and they sound fantastic in ash.
    WGAF?!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I appreciate the suggestions but I want an exact copy,or I will end up just buyying one from duncan...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I appreciate the suggestions but I want an exact copy,or I will end up just buyying one from duncan...
    Andrew....was'nt the VEH actually supposed to be a cheaper copy of the 78? There was a review somewhere I read, and the reviewer said this. It was something like "don't let the price fool you. You can execute early EVH tones with ease with the VEH, but for far less than the Seymour Duncan VH style pickups." The only other one I know of that sounds BETTER than the 78 is the one from Bareknuckle, and they ain't exactly cheap! More like 3 times the price American, but it's made much more like Eddie's. Scatterwound too.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 09.24.09 at 12:48 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just checked out specs of the VEH,its not correct specs wound way to high in ohms...thanks though......side note the bareknuckles vh 2 has too much mids witj a plexi and the correct gear,may be fine with those high gain amps...not that good with a plexi and vintage greenbacks..

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best I have found is the motor city 2nd degree blackbelt.I'm looking for the duncan 78 to make some sound clips with,had one years ago ...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Andrew....was'nt the VEH actually supposed to be a cheaper copy of the 78? There was a review somewhere I read, and the reviewer said this. It was something like "don't let the price fool you. You can execute early EVH tones with ease with the VEH, but for far less than the Seymour Duncan VH style pickups." The only other one I know of that sounds BETTER than the 78 is the one from Bareknuckle, and they ain't exactly cheap! More like 3 times the price American, but it's made much more like Eddie's. Scatterwound too.
    The VEH is a great pickup, but it does have a sort of unique tonal characteristic to it in the background that is not quite an EVH sound. A very subtle difference... It might just be because mine is mounted in a mystery wood guitar.... anyway, overall it's a great old-EVH tone pickup.

I've yet to try the neck version but I really want to, it looks great.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Stan, you will NOT get an exact copy, be realistic, but I'm telling you, the Smit's EBS-2 is real close. Check out the reviews on metro amps.
    http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27478
    Last edited by jimi11580; 09.24.09 at 02:03 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just checked out specs of the VEH,its not correct specs wound way to high in ohms...thanks though......side note the bareknuckles vh 2 has too much mids witj a plexi and the correct gear,may be fine with those high gain amps...not that good with a plexi and vintage greenbacks..
    Hey.
    I know the Bareknuckle is'nt on the cheap side, but have you heard the demo on you tube with Steve Stevens playing the VHII through a bone stock 67 Plexi? You'd absolutely swear it's Ed 30 years ago. I totally concur with Jimi though.....There is no way you are gonna get a cheaper "exact" copy. I've made my share of pickups over the years, and ohms don't always tell you alot. The wire's ohm range is only telling you how much resistance you've got on the bobbin.
    The theoretical baseline range is +-8K ohms on a meter, and is adjusted up or down depending on magnet type, weather it be an alnico, ceramic, or rare earth, as well as the wire's guage. Just because the VEH is showing higher ohms, does not necessarily dictate the final sound. They are more than likely just adding more windings to compensate the magnets power or lack thereof to acheive the sound their looking to emulate.
    Take a look at the Dimarzios in the Music Man. Steve Blucher was the first guy to analize Ed's Franky pickup extensively before Fender, and when he did, it turned out that one of the coils had been damaged along the way, either when Eddie was winding it or from a pick or tool. He also noticed that there were not as many windings on the coils as he suspected there were, and they were uneven. In the end though, they ended up using more widings and their ohm rating is considerably high, though their not real high output sounding pickups. They sound like a real sweet, hotter PAF. I Dimarzios case, it was more to do with the magnet. It gets a bit complicated in that there are so many variables in the components now to. There's some real exotic magnets out there. Plain enameled wire is also making a huge comeback, as is scatterwinding in the case of the Bareknuckles. Not trying to tell you something you already know, but the concensus lately is that you can't simply base a pickups overall sound by what is written on the spec sheet, unless of course you're dealing with a single manufacturer who use the same base materials and only manipulate the number of windings to achieve a brighter or darker, or heavier output sound.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 09.24.09 at 03:43 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey man. I know the Bareknuckle is'nt on the cheap side, but have you heard the demo on you tube with Steve Stevens playing the VHII through a bone stock 67 Plexi? You'd absolutely swear it's Ed 30 years ago. I'm not trying to push the VEH on you....hell, I don't even own one, but I totally concur with Jimi though.....There is no way you are gonna get a cheaper "exact" copy. I've made my share of pickups over the years, and ohms don't always tell you alot. The wire's ohm range is only telling you how much resistance you've got on the bobbin.
    The theoretical baseline range is +-8K ohms on a meter, and is adjusted up or down depending on magnet type, weather it be an alnico, ceramic, or rare earth, as well as the wire's guage. Just because the VEH is showing higher ohms, does not necessarily dictate the final sound. They are more than likely just adding more windings to compensate the magnets power or lack thereof to acheive the sound their looking to emulate.
    Take a look at the Dimarzios in the Music Man. Steve Blucher was the first guy to analize Ed's Franky pickup extensively before Fender, and when he did, it turned out that one of the coils had been damaged along the way, either when Eddie was winding it or from a pick or tool. He also noticed that there were not as many windings on the coils as he suspected there were, and they were uneven. In the end though, they ended up using more widings and their ohm rating is considerably high, though their not real high output sounding pickups. They sound like a real sweet, hotter PAF. It gets a bit complicated in that there are so many variables in the components now to. There's some real exotic magnets out there. Plain enameled wire is also making a huge comeback, as is scatterwinding in the case of the Bareknuckles. Not trying to tell you something you already know, but the concensus lately is that you can't simply base a pickups overall sound by what is written on the spec sheet, unless of course you're dealing with a single manufacturer who use the same base materials and only manipulate the number of windings to achieve a brighter or darker, or heavier output sound. I'm sure you'll find something though. Lot of good suggestions on here today!.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 09.24.09 at 03:47 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah,I have heard the steve stevens clip,didn't think the tone was that close,the mids are just wrong on that pickup....what I meant is that the VEh is not a copy of the duncan 78,the ohms are way to off.I'm not saying its bad,just not a copy of the 78....I have tried a lot of pickups,tom holmes 455,duncan 59,voodoo 59,motor city pickups several of his,high order pickups,the EVH frankie pickup,the wolfgang,the EVH ernie ball pickup,the charvel art series pickup,an ibanez super 70,and a long time ago the duncan 78....the best I have had is the motor city 2nd degree blackbelt.its the pickup dave friedman and wade came up with for VH...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 11,605 Times in 4,948 Posts

Unless I'm crazy the Bareknuckle VH II is more than the Duncan isn't it?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!