Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Bank of America Draws Fire for Pulling U.S. Flags From Property

Bank of America Draws Fire for Pulling U.S. Flags From Property

Brenda Earls of Gaffney, S.C., tried to honor her next-door neighbor, Marine Lance Cpl. Christopher Fowlkes, who was recently killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan, by planting flags along the route the casket would follow. But a Bank of America branch manager pulled the flags from the bank's property, citing "corporate policy."

Bank of America, which has received $45 billion in federal loans as part of the government rescue of the financial industry, apologized for the incident, calling it a "terrible mistake."

"We want to ensure the community knows how deeply proud we are of the men and women who have sacrificed so much in service to our country," the bank said in a written statement. "The bank does fly the American flag at our locations throughout the country and flags were displayed in front of our banking center in Gaffney the evening prior to our dedicated Marine returning home. We deeply apologize for any misunderstandings."

But customers already have begun canceling their accounts in protest.

Earls and Cherokee County Council closed its account, costing the bank reportedly $500,000. If all city officials follow suit, it will cost the bank $1.5 million in deposits.

Earls said the bank's apology was misdirected.

"I think who needs the apology is not me (or) the community, but the family and this young solider who gave his life for us so we all have these freedoms," she told FOX News. "We need to say we're sorry for this young man who gave his life that someone would understand a policy that they could not fly the American flag yet they would send our young people to fight over there in a war."

Earls said she watched Fowlkes, 20, grow up in her neighborhood. Planting the flags, she said, was the least she could do to honor him.

But when she placed one on Bank of America's property, a branch manager ran out of the bank and told her she couldn't do it, she said

"You mean the American flags?" Earls recalled responding.

The manager said policy prohibits the bank from flying any flag, including the American flag.

Earls said the manager told her that the flags might offend some customers.

"The American flags?" Earl recalled saying in utter disbelief.

"This is a financial institution and this is our policy," Earls recalled the manager saying.

While Earls expressed relief that the bank is now flying the American flag, she added, "That one moment in time when they took them down is a sad moment in America."

Larry Di Rita, a spokesman for Bank of America, told FOX News that the incident was a "mistake" that was quickly rectified.

"We apologized to the people involved," he said.

But Di Rita wouldn't say whether the bank has offered apologies to the Fowlkes family.

"We're going to respect the family's privacy and I'm not going to discuss that. Our condolences are to the family and the community of Gaffney. "

Di Rita added that the incident doesn't reflect any policy of Bank of America.

"The fact is we encourage branches to fly the American flag," he said. "We have over 6,000 branches across the country and they do."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

OK any thread about bank of america HAS to mention their terrible customer service (like talking to robots), outrageous fees and unclear internal regulations. Terrible bank, I so regret being with them!
    Little Dreamer

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

BOA were the assholes giving out credit cards to people without a SSN. This doesn't surprise me one bit, they are a lousy company to say the very least.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

bank of america sucks.

people who needed some silly middle manager's retardation to convince them cancel their accouts are stupid.

yes the irony of this story is somewhat amusing.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 18,152 Times in 8,970 Posts

You mean Skank of America?

I was thrilled when my mortgage was sold for the ninety third time to them....
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Yep, BOA is consistent in one area: Boneheadedly handling situations involving even the most common of sense.

No thumbprint, no money, bank tells armless man
    Thu Sep 3, 10:51 am ET

For more details on this story, click here.

MIAMI (Reuters) – A bank in Florida refused to cash a check for an armless man because he could not provide a thumbprint.

"They looked at my prosthetic hands and the teller said, 'Well, obviously you can't give us a thumbprint'," Steve Valdez told CNN on Wednesday.

But he said the Bank of America Corp branch in downtown Tampa, Florida, still insisted on a thumbprint identification for him to cash a check drawn on his wife's account at the bank, even though he showed them two photo IDs.

In the incident last week, a bank supervisor told Valdez he could only cash the check without a thumbprint if he brought his wife in with him or he opened an account with them.

"I told them I neither wanted an account with them and couldn't bring my wife in because she was nowhere close by," Valdez told CNN.

Bank of America said in a statement cited by CNN: "While the thumbprint is a requirement for those who don't have accounts, the bank should have made accommodations."

Valdez said his treatment by the bank violated the U.S. Americans with Disability Act requiring institutions to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled persons.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090903/...ank_thumbprint
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yep, BOA is consistent in one area: Boneheadedly handling situations involving even the most common of sense.

No thumbprint, no money, bank tells armless man
    Thu Sep 3, 10:51 am ET

For more details on this story, click here.

MIAMI (Reuters) – A bank in Florida refused to cash a check for an armless man because he could not provide a thumbprint.

"They looked at my prosthetic hands and the teller said, 'Well, obviously you can't give us a thumbprint'," Steve Valdez told CNN on Wednesday.

But he said the Bank of America Corp branch in downtown Tampa, Florida, still insisted on a thumbprint identification for him to cash a check drawn on his wife's account at the bank, even though he showed them two photo IDs.

In the incident last week, a bank supervisor told Valdez he could only cash the check without a thumbprint if he brought his wife in with him or he opened an account with them.

"I told them I neither wanted an account with them and couldn't bring my wife in because she was nowhere close by," Valdez told CNN.

Bank of America said in a statement cited by CNN: "While the thumbprint is a requirement for those who don't have accounts, the bank should have made accommodations."

Valdez said his treatment by the bank violated the U.S. Americans with Disability Act requiring institutions to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled persons.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090903/...ank_thumbprint

jesus...that's insane.

You guys have all seen Idiocracy right?

It's happening.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I do the majority of my banking (checking and savings) with USAA. Great customer service and fast turn-around on things. We looked into DOA (Douchebags of America) before we ended up with USAA. Reason - my brother was with DOA and he said that was one of the biggest mistakes in his life.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The manager said policy prohibits the bank from flying any flag, including the American flag.
    So a question: if the bank flies the American flag at its corporate headquarters (which I think they do), aren't they violating their own policy? At a minimum, I would think the branch managers would have some discretion in matter like this...