Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Energy, Carbon Credits, Pesky CO2

Hey all.
    Not usual for me to post geoecinomical threads, but yet another radio program just finished on British Columbia's favorite topic....Climate Change. Now I have no dispute that the weather HAS changed a great deal over the last decade, and I don't dispute for a minute that a planet that has what......almost 6 billion people on it keeping warm, cooking, driving, lighting, and entertaining themselves as the result in large part to burning something, weather it be coal, wood, oil, etc. has an effect on the atmosphere. My main concern is that there ARE other factors that do contribute....For one the sun has been more active for the past decade or so, and we are also in a period called the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, where essentially, ocean flows above and below the equator, basically shift somewhat dramatically affecting climate for the warmer/cooler to a various regions.
    Now again......I'm not lefty or righty here, but what really does bother me about some of the UN sanctioned scientist spokespeople predominantly, is their insistance on bringing up carbon credits in the same breath with "we've got to do something" Well, to me this is where I get a bit warry. The fellow that was just on, gave a 20 min. ....let's call it an on air seminar about how we must learn to adjust to a new world economy.......What the fuck does a new world economy have to do with directly having an impact on "man made global warming?" Will having a new world economy based on carbon credits stop 70 % of the non industrialized world from burning wood coal and dung to stay warm and eat? Will it force us in the industrialized world become vegitarians so we won't have to rely on co2 emmiting animals?
    In B.C. we're very lucky. We use Hydro power, which is clean, but now environmentalists here are saying no to more dams. No to windmills because they may kill birds. No to natual gas because it's a fossil fuel. No to nuclear because....well it's nuclear. My questions to you; to start a healthy heated debate are what do you think of this non commital debacle? What's your opinion on climate change, and most importantly do you think it's something that can be reversed by carbon credits, or will we simply have to adapt? What is your idea of a feasable solution?
    Me.....I take both sides in to account. Yes man has contributed to this problem...but I also take into account that the planet is not static. It's been changing for millions of years. In terms of CO2....I have a quick example. They say co2 is directly responsible for climate chage. During the period of WWI to WWII, there have been samples showing that there was more man made co2 during that period, than anytime in mans history. Why then were those years leading up to 1974 some of the coolest?
    Have fon with this. I find it a very fascinating debate.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Well, in reality we are between Ice Ages right now! Let's see Al Gore get his head around that.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr5115 View Post
    Well, in reality we are between Ice Ages right now! Let's see Al Gore get his head around that.
    Actually, can't we just freeze Al Gore's head in ice?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The one thing I hate hearing from the so called scientists is when they say "the debate is over", or when describing other people of other opinions on the matter, they label them "deniers". True science is in constant search of knowledge. Discounting any other factor as false or "lies" is no different to me than still claiming the earth is flat. It's closed minded, which is suspicious to me. Very few of these guys on programs or seminars I've seen on the tube go very far outside of what's written on their page, don't take many questions, and if they do encounter a skeptical question, then they tend to spin to obscure claims like the sea rise computer models. Seems pretty hacky.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.20.16 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Seems like all the climate change people never mention the biggest thing that makes things hot.....THE SUN! No carbon taxing/credit is going to stop the sun.

On a side note, it's been the coolest summer that I can remember ever having.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman51 View Post
    Seems like all the climate change people never mention the biggest thing that makes things hot.....THE SUN! No carbon taxing/credit is going to stop the sun.

On a side note, it's been the coolest summer that I can remember ever having.
    We had a couple record breaking days in Vancouver this year. Was pushing 100F in the Valley, but most of the summer has been below average. Were double the normal seasonal temp right now, but that's supposedly due to El Nino, which is supposed to be with us through 2010,(not great for the Olympics) and the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. Those happen every 40 to 50 years or so and typically last 7 to 10 years.