Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Insane Killer Escapes On Field Trip To County Fair

I love a good old fashioned family harvest fair. What a perfect place to have a murderer field trip...Now you're thinkin'.

SPOKANE, Wash. -- A criminally insane killer who escaped during a mental hospital field trip to a county fair remained on the run Friday, and furious residents and officials wondered why such a dangerous person was out in public.

Authorities believe Phillip Arnold Paul, 47, is heading to the Sunnyside, Wash., area, where his parents and many siblings live. The Spokane County Sheriff's Office used a helicopter to search Friday, and officers also searched transient camps along railroad tracks in the area. The public was urged to call 911.

"He is in a bad mental state," his brother, Tom Paul, told The Associated Press. "Why would they load him on a bus and take him to a fair?"

That's a question many are asking.

Authorities at Eastern State Hospital are being criticized for allowing Paul to visit the fair despite his violent criminal past and history of trying to escape. Spokane County Commissioner Mark Richard has called it unacceptable, and the state Department of Social and Health Services ordered an immediate end to such trips and launched an investigation into the practice.

Paul was committed after he was acquitted by reason of insanity in the 1987 slaying of an elderly woman in Sunnyside. He soaked the woman's body in gasoline to throw off search dogs and buried the remains in her flower garden.

"Why was he allowed to take such a trip?" Gov. Chris Gregoire said Friday. "Why did they go to a location that was so heavily populated with families?"

Susan Dreyfus, secretary of the Department of Social and Health Services, said those questions would be answered in an investigation she has ordered that included both state mental hospitals. She was peppered with questions at a news conference, but deferred nearly all of them until the 15-day review, which will be in part conducted by the state Department of Corrections, was finished.

Dreyfus said it is not unusual for so-called "forensic" patients, who are being held against their will, to earn the opportunity to go on field trips as part of their therapy. The mental hospitals also treat people who are mentally ill but have not committed crimes.

Thirty-one patients from the mental hospital were on the trip Thursday with 11 staff members. Dreyfus said she did not know how many of those had violent criminal backgrounds. Patients must be cleared by a treatment team before they can go on trips to stores, parks, and other sites, said Dr. Rob Henry, director of forensic services at Eastern State. They wear street clothing and staff members are required to keep each patient within eyesight at all times.

Henry said trips to the fair were an annual event. The last escape from the forensic unit occurred in 1992, he said.

It is possible the review will end such outings, Dreyfus said.

Members of an employees union at Eastern State put out a statement saying they had long opposed such field trips.

"They believe he was an extreme escape risk and the administration should never have allowed him on the field trip," the statement from the Washington Federation of State Employees said. "The workers have unsuccessfully fought to stop the outings for murderers, rapists and pedophiles committed to the hospital as criminally insane."

The union said workers alerted superiors "within two to three minutes of discovering Paul's escape." But administrators waited nearly two hours before calling law enforcement. That gave Paul plenty of time to disappear.

Dreyfus said it was not clear how long it took for law enforcement to be alerted. Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich insisted on the two-hour delay.

Sheriff's officials were told Paul had $50 at the time of his escape.

"Fifty dollars will buy you a bus ticket," sheriff's spokesman Dave Reagan said.

In addition to local law enforcement, the Washington State Patrol joined the search, as did an inmate recovery team from the state Department of Corrections.

Paul is a white male, 5-foot-8, 220 pounds, with brownish-gray hair, blue eyes, and a goatee. At the time of his escape, Paul was wearing a red windbreaker jacket, with a T-shirt and jeans.

The sheriff's office said Paul's medication should keep him stable for 14 days, not 48 hours as previously reported.

His brother said Paul was a high school and junior college wrestler and a martial artist who should not be approached.

"I'm a tough guy but I wouldn't take him on," Tom Paul said. "I hope he doesn't hurt anybody."

This was the second escape for Paul. In 1991, he walked away during a day trip in Medical Lake and was later captured. He attacked a sheriff's deputy in the jail booking area, knocking him unconscious, and was convicted of first-degree escape and second-degree assault.

Phillip Paul had a normal childhood in Sunnyside, 200 miles southwest of Spokane, but he started acting strangely as a high school student. He said he was hearing voices and thought they were witches, Tom Paul said. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Phillip Paul has been on and off a variety of medications over the years, and also been in and out of institutions, Tom Paul said. He has repeatedly proven unable to live in society, he said.

Paul was living in a halfway house in Spokane last year, but ended up back at the hospital in a very agitated state, Tom Paul said. Hospital officials said Paul hadn't exhibited violent behavior in years. They argued in the past that he should be released, but his petition for release was rejected in 2003.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

From my experience at county fairs around Indiana, that's one crowd an escaped mental patient would not stand out in.

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    From my experience at county fairs around Indiana, that's one crowd an escaped mental patient would not stand out in.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Are you David Lee Roth?

WTF is a mental case killer doing at a county fair anyways? Thats something I never saw Donald Pleasence do with Michael Myers.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Are you David Lee Roth?

Oh, please! Do you think David Lee Roth has enough spare time on his hands to hang around on a message board?

Don't read this.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

As long as he's in Van Teen Wolf©®™, sure.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if this is appropriate or not in this thread but I just love funnel cakes!!!! YUMMY!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Future preparations for Gitmo prisoners????

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Are you David Lee Roth?

WTF is a mental case killer doing at a county fair anyways? Thats something I never saw Donald Pleasence do with Michael Myers.
    next time you are at a county fair look closely at the carnies who are running the rides...scary...and not "Joe Dirt running the scrambler scary", but Bufflalo Bill scary.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    next time you are at a county fair look closely at the carnies who are running the rides...scary...and not "Joe Dirt running the scrambler scary", but Bufflalo Bill scary.
    Got a thing against Latino people?
    (Fyi Buffalo Bill was'nt Latino.)

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

Hope they find him before something bad happens.

47-year-old Phillip Arnold Paul

Paul had been committed after he was acquitted by reason of insanity in the 1987 slaying of an elderly woman, whose body he soaked in gasoline to throw off search dogs. Paul buried the woman's remains in her flower garden.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Hope they find him before something bad happens.

47-year-old Phillip Arnold Paul

Paul had been committed after he was acquitted by reason of insanity in the 1987 slaying of an elderly woman, whose body he soaked in gasoline to throw off search dogs. Paul buried the woman's remains in her flower garden.
    Oh yeah, he could definitely be the guy taking tickets to get you into the Fun House.
    Dealing with it.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Now in police custody...

found with some fava beans and a nice chianti in his backpack...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Default Insane killer caught in Goldendale, Wash., area

By TIM KLASS (Associated Press Writer)
    From Associated Press
    September 20, 2009 9:06 PM EDT

SEATTLE - An insane killer who slipped away from the staff of a mental institution on a field trip to the Spokane County International Fair was recaptured Sunday without injury more than 180 miles away in south-central Washington state.

With a helicopter overhead and dozens of federal, state and local law enforcement officers swarming around Goldendale, Phillip Arnold Paul, 47, seemed ready to surrender when he walked out to the Goldendale-Bickleton road about 22 miles east of town shortly after 4 p.m., just as search personnel arrived at the scene, Klickitat County Sheriff Rick McComas told The Associated Press.

Spokane County sheriff's Capt. Dave Reagan said Paul was preparing to hitchhike. But McComas said Paul offered no resistance as he turned himself in.

"He came out of the brush, onto the roadway, as law enforcement officers were going by," McComas said. "His intent was to voluntarily give himself up because he knew we were going to find him."

The sheriff said he didn't know how Paul reached the area, adding the information that he might be nearby came from authorities in Spokane. Authorities have offered no clues as to what Paul was doing in the Goldendale area or where he may have been headed.

Reagan said the arrest was made by Spokane County sheriff's detective Roger W. Knight, who also nabbed Paul after he gave Eastern State Hospital personnel the slip during a field trip in Medical Lake, where the mental institution is located, in 1991.

Following that arrest, Paul knocked Knight unconscious in the jail booking area, separating his shoulder, and was convicted of first-degree escape and second-degree assault.

McComas said Paul would be taken to Yakima following a brief checkup by medics in Goldendale.

Earlier in the day, 50 to 60 federal, state and Spokane-area law enforcement personnel were shifted from the Spokane area in eastern Washington to Goldendale, the Klickitat County seat, about 145 miles southeast of Seattle and 185 miles southwest of Spokane.

Reagan wouldn't specify what led to the shift, which occurred on the third day after Paul's escape. It remained unclear whether Paul met up with anyone after his getaway Thursday morning.

Until Sunday, authorities said they believed Paul would head for his family home in Sunnyside, about 65 road miles east of Goldendale and about 180 road miles south-southwest of Spokane. But Reagan said investigators have had no indication that Paul passed through Sunnyside.

Paul left little clothing in his room, just some underwear and socks, and was carrying a backpack and $50 from a Social Security check when he vanished. The field trip to the fair, which included 30 other patients, is an annual event that Paul easily could have anticipated, Reagan said.

Paul was committed after he was diagnosed as schizophrenic and acquitted by reason of insanity in the slaying of an elderly woman in Sunnyside in 1987. He soaked her body in gasoline to throw off search dogs.

Jim Stevenson, a spokesman for the state Department of Social and Health Services, said Paul received an injection designed to maintain his mental stability for about two weeks on Wednesday. Only at the end of that period would he need another dose to avoid the potential for a serious deterioration of his mental condition, Stevenson said.

On Saturday Reagan told The Spokesman-Review newspaper that investigators learned Paul had several contacts in the Spokane area after living outside the hospital complex periodically, including stays at The Carlyle Care Center in downtown Spokane.

Paul's page on the online social networking site MySpace features recordings of nine songs, including one titled "Rock N Roll in the Mental Institution," by Philly Willy and the Hillbillies. The singing on the recordings was done by Paul, but it was unclear when or where they were made, The Spokesman-Review reported.

"24/7 you been laying in bed," Paul sings. "You be damn lucky to get those voices out of your head."

The songs also include lyrics about people outside the institution not caring, a lack of mail, and missing the feel of grass under his feet, the sight of the stars at night and the touch of a woman.

In a brief biography on his MySpace page, Paul refers to the killing as "a four-second mistake" and adds, "Psychotic symptoms were noted over the incident that landed Phil in the psychiatric ward of the Washington State Mental Institution."

Hmmm - I don't read anything in this story about them adding a few extra holes in his skull with the assistance of a crowbar...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

wait....that dude's on Myspace just reinforces my opinion about myspace and why I don't (won't) have an account there

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.