Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default News Anchor Curses

'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,846 Times in 3,584 Posts

Premium Member

are you doing!?

Big Fucking Deal.

The sound tech on the fade dial should be fired.

People should stop being expected to being offended so often.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

fucking love it!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    People should stop being expected to being offended so often.
    Many people LIVE to be offended these days...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

this guy wasn't thinking either

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    this guy wasn't thinking either

keep fucking that chicken?

huh?!?!

Legendary New York broadcaster Ernie Anastos had a momentary lapse of reason Wednesday night when he dropped the F-bomb live on TV.

During some playful banter with local weatherman Nick Gregory, Anastos complimented Gregory, or at least attempted to, by saying, "It takes a tough man to make a tender forecast, Nick."

Looking confused, Gregory responded, "I guess that's me."

Without missing a beat, Anastos continued, "Keep f***ing that chicken," a completely bewildering phrase that made co-anchor Dari Alexander's eyes bug out of her head. Gregory, for his part, just threw his hands up and shook his head.

For Anastos and Chicken Pluckers, It’s Only Words
    Ernie AnastosErnie Anastos vaulted onto the world stage when he said a bad word on television. He apologized, his bosses said they were disappointed, and thousands of YouTube viewers watched the moment again and again. His explanation? According to news reports, he meant to say, “Keep plucking that chicken.”

We believe him — and why shouldn’t we? — but … well … his explanation kind of raises another, perhaps even more baffling question: What does “Keep plucking that chicken” mean?

And, thanks to its furious dissemination around the globe, could it or the more raw variation Mr. Anastos seemed to utter become a new New York City catchphrase, on par with “Fuggedaboutit” or Ed Koch’s “How’m I doin’?”

We set out to answer these questions.

First, the possible meaning. The four-word phrase suggests continuing with a chore that must be completed, even if the rewards are minimal. It suggests determination, willpower, an existential task with an obscure or unknown endpoint, a sense of carrying on despite odds. At the same time, it could also be an invitation to extended revelry. The use of the word “keep” implies that the task that must be completed, whatever it is, has already been started. Some possible examples:

A businessman sits at his desk at 7 p.m. contemplating the 12-inch-high pile of paperwork that must be finished by morning. He knows he’ll never make it home by dinner. He calls his wife and tells her: “I’m staying late.” She replies encouragingly, “Keep plucking that chicken.”

A group of dot-comers are at the Magician on Rivington Street at 3 a.m. Some are ready to head home after a night of drinking. But others want to continue. “One more round,” someone says, “Keep plucking that chicken!” They keep drinking.

The conductor of a southbound No. 4 train alerts his passengers that, because of a sick passenger on the train ahead, they’ll be stuck in the tunnel north of Union Square. “We’ll just keep plucking that chicken,” he tells them. Everyone waits.

The WNYW Fox 5 news anchor Ernie Anastos uttered a four-word phrase on television which, through online sites like YouTube, has raced around the world.The phrase is certainly spreading. It has inspired music videos and T-shirts (including children’s sizes), and late-night television jokes. Already, people are using it in their replies on Twitter (we would include the search, but decided against it).

So we reached out to some notable and not-so-notable New Yorkers to see if their interpretation matches ours.

The Rev. Al Sharpton said the poultry line could serve as a kind of encouragement. “It could be a kind of phrase: ‘Well, keep doing what you are doing. Keep going after it,’” he said. “Even if you are tired or distracted, keep on doing that chicken, that kind of thing.”

Mr. Sharpton has his own expression to that effect. “I would say, ‘Keep it moving, despite it all.’”

Asked if he would consider retiring his line, “Keep it moving,” for the poultry variety, he said it wouldn’t abide with his religious beliefs. “It’s not exactly my kind of phraseology,” he said. “I would be afraid Peter would get mad at me.”

The idea of chicken plucking may hold a special resonance for New Yorkers beyond the fact that it burst out from New York local television. “In New York, we are all faced with the lovely experiment where things go awry instantaneously in any given moment,” said Kennedy Moore, the founder of AskaNewYorker.com, a community advice site. “The grind of life in New York. I keep at it. I keep plucking that chicken. I don’t stop.”

It could be a way for New Yorkers to demonstrate their fortitude to each other, he said. “How did your day go? ‘It was a tough day, but I keep plucking that chicken.’”

Could it be shortened to “pluck that chicken?”

No — he agreed with us on the importance of the word “keep.”

“You have to say ‘keep.’ The word keep is essential,” he said. “It provides a rhythmic quality and a sign of endurance.”

But others see adapting the phase for more general use — as a salutation, or farewell. Indeed, on Thursday night’s episode of “The Daily Show,” Jon Stewart noted that he had gone 10 years without a signature sign-off and proposed that he adopt a variant of “Good Night. Keep plucking that chicken.” (Actually there was a bleep over, but we assume that is what he said.)

“What I love about it is it’s versatile,” he said on the episode. “It’s my thing now. I can use it anywhere. Signing autographs, you know. ‘Keep plucking that chicken, Jon Stewart.’ Even when I’m out on the street and run into old acquaintances and I can be like, ‘Hey hey, my brother, are you still plucking that chicken?’” (There were beeps over all the “pluckings.”)

Mr. Koch, who was mayor from 1978 to 1989, also gave a positive assessment of the line.

“It has a nice sound to it,” he said. “It could become a phrase that people could use.” Though he insists, since he knows Mr. Anastos, that he meant to use “plucking” version.

Asked what it the poultry line could possibly mean, Mr. Koch replied, “It means, keep it up, keep plugging that issue.”

Mr. Koch knows signature phrases. He first said “How’m I doin’?” in 1969 in talking with constituents at a subway stop. “It is amazing how it continues — I’m very proud of it,” he said. “It struck a chord. No other politician before me would dare say ‘judge me.’” (He used it on his stationery and his campaign materials.)

Still, to this day, he will be walking down the street someone will yell out, “How’m I doin’?”

“My response to that is, ‘You’re doing terrific, how about me?’” he said.

But now he says he might a new canned response. “If I am walking down the street and someone yells at me, ‘How’m I doin’?’ I’m going to yell back, ‘Keep plucking that chicken,’ and it fits.”
    Last edited by voivod; 09.18.09 at 05:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

The slow-down of the audio at the end was even funnier than the original reason for it.

edit....And the expression on the female co-anchor's face is just gravy.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    The slow-down of the audio at the end was even funnier than the original reason for it.
    Yep. That's where I actually started laughing.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

What the fuck are you doing?

Sounds like a new thread. I'm all a twitter.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Chris Bermans outburst beats them all.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post

edit....And the expression on the female co-anchor's face is just gravy.
    her eyes POPPED out of her head...I can only imagine the slow down of the audio resembled what was going on in her mind at that time as well...oh noooooooooooo! Whaaaaaaaaaaaat did he just saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay? Oh Nooooooooooo!

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.