Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default SC teen bags 10-foot alligator with a crossbow

SC teen bags 10-foot alligator with a crossbow

COLUMBIA, S.C. – A 16-year-old girl has bagged a 10-foot alligator in a South Carolina swamp.

In the middle of the night. With a crossbow.

The State newspaper in Columbia reported that Cammie Colin won one of 1,000 lottery slots for the state's annual public alligator harvest. Hunters are required to use a crossbow or a harpoon.

Cammie was the only person in her group authorized to shoot the 353-pound gator. The Lexington resident was with a guide, her father, an uncle and her brother in an 18-foot boat early Sunday in the headwaters of Lake Marion.

They have 40 pounds of alligator steak in the freezer now.

Cammie says most of her teachers are using her new nickname, "Killer."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_odd_gator_hunting_girl
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you don’t have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Don’t forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Alligator steaks?? Yikes! I'll pass.

She did a great job catching that at night though.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

if she'd swam into the water and wrestled the bastard into submission I'd be a tad more impressed.

I've never understood the concept of trophy hunting and of bragging about the kill. Yay for you, you have great aim and were able to snipe an unsuspecting animal from however many yards away. You know, in some states you can do it online without even leaving your house.

I saw her on tv this morning, and the alligator. All I thought was "wow, cute chick, husky voice" and "seems like an awful shame to have killed an alligator that was apparently minding its own business."
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The annual public alligator harvest. I'm just running that concept through my mind a few times.

You know, up until a couple of years ago, tattoos were outlawed in South Carolina. No, they said, you can't have a tattoo. But apparently, you're considered freaking fortunate to have the chance to harvest a gator. Hell, take the kids, it's a blast!

I'm sure there are conservation-based reasons for the annual public alligator harvest. Okay, I'm not sure, but I'd certainly hope there are. And if this is what the youth are doing with their Saturday nights, I guess it's better than cooking meth in the back seat of your Honda Accord.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    The annual public alligator harvest. I'm just running that concept through my mind a few times.

You know, up until a couple of years ago, tattoos were outlawed in South Carolina. No, they said, you can't have a tattoo. But apparently, you're considered freaking fortunate to have the chance to harvest a gator. Hell, take the kids, it's a blast!

I'm sure there are conservation-based reasons for the annual public alligator harvest. Okay, I'm not sure, but I'd certainly hope there are. And if this is what the youth are doing with their Saturday nights, I guess it's better than cooking meth in the back seat of your Honda Accord.
    Florida had, and probably still does, annual alligator killing time. They were so many of them (relatively speaking that is) that they'd end up walking onto highways and every once in a while they'd stumble into someone's backyard...who had built said backyard in the FRONT yard of said alligator. Thus was born the notion of having to kill alligators out of compassion in order to protect them from "over population." Of course we're the ones that get to say when a population has "over" populated when really all that means is "we've moved into their habitat and them being alligators is quite the inconvenience because they kill shit that we don't want killed so we'll kill them."

I'm not opposed to killing and I'm not opposed to eating meat but I am against the sort of arrogant sense of pride and notion that humans have some sort of god given right to kill at will whatever we've decided is simply not worthy of living, for whatever reason.

Deer are another species that really gets me and another that is often pointed to as us needing to kill because otherwise they'd starve because they are prone to "over" population.

I have no problem with hunting. Hell, I don't even have a problem with people who say "I get off on killing living creatures and hanging their heads on my wall." What I have a problem with is people who don't have the guts to just be honest and instead try to rationalize their need to simply take life and toast a beer to the occasion.

Taking a life is a solemn event, at least it should be. When a person takes a life of another animal it should be a moment of thanks, of reflection, of prayer and of spiritual devotion and evolution. It shouldn't be a time to call the newspaper and exploit the death of a living creature so everyone can get their shits and giggles, toss a few back and say "aw hell, next years eyez uh guhnna git me uhn evin bigger wun!"
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I was blissfully unaware that there were alligators in South Carolina. At least it sounds like they plan to eat what they killed, so I'm okay with that. I'd still like someone to explain to me that pigeon shoot that they have in Pennsylvania, though.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc View Post
    I've had it. OK, sort of like dark meat chicken. Needs a little seasoning tho.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Taking a life is a solemn event, at least it should be. When a person takes a life of another animal it should be a moment of thanks, of reflection, of prayer and of spiritual devotion and evolution. It shouldn't be a time to call the newspaper and exploit the death of a living creature so everyone can get their shits and giggles, toss a few back and say "aw hell, next years eyez uh guhnna git me uhn evin bigger wun!"
    Tell it to the cows, pigs and chickens. Are we supposed to pray for them too?

I'm with you in principle, Broke, but foisting thanksgiving on every kill is kind
    of adding insult to injury; ie. 'we sacrificed your life to appease the gods and
    for the circle of life', yada yada yada. If you really wanna get real, just admit
    that you don't really give a damn about the 'lesser' creatures and any amount
    of spiritual handwringing is likewise just for show and out of latent guilt. As if
    it could make a difference to a dead aligator.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:19 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Having been fortunate enough to live on Lake Marion for the past 18 years, I have a little knowledge of the gator population. They are plentiful and were protected from hunting, poaching, etc. up until 2 years ago I believe when the first lottery hunts started. We lived here 10 years & never saw one that I recall. Then we started seeing one every now & then when the water level would drop toward the end of summer. Now we see several a year throughout the warm months & even sunning on the shore on warm fall/winter days. State ecology keeps a close eye on them population wise as the only thing that can take them out is us.

Late last year I came across the remains of a poached kill someone had stupidly taken just for the head, leaving everything from the front legs to the tail, which is doubly stupid as the tail is where any meat worth eating is. This was just a couple days after the kill so the body was still very much intact. I measured it to be a tick over 10' from its front legs to the tip of it's tail. One of my DNR buddies confirmed to me that they knew of it & were pretty sure who killed it but had no evidence other than their own suspicion. He also cofirmed that the gator would have been close to 14 ' long based on the remains.

Long story short, yes we have lot's of them & there are mechanisms to manage them properly but a thousand permits issued doesn't equal a thousand dead gators. I'd like to bag one but the odds of getting a ticket to do so are slim & there are strict rules on how they must be taken & I don't have the skills or equipment.

FWIW, killing an animal just for the trophy is wrong. Killing it to eat, is not & if you want to keep the mount as a trophy, that's your bag & some taxiermist somewhere will love you for it.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I grew up in SC on a 120 acre lake. Just my family - aunts , uncles, grandparents- lived around this lake (still do) and we had several alligators in this "pond" . One became quite comfy sunning himself in our yard. My dad, not liking the idea of a 12 ft gator sunbathing while his 2 kids 4 & 2 yrs old played in the yard, took care of Mr. Gator. He was indeed eaten at a large get together and I believe his skin was used by a few people for some sort of adornments???? I remember a hat band in particular....

There are still gators in the pond but you very rarely see them. And yes we swam in that pond every day in summer as kids, ran a little small engine john boat and dragged each other around on a flat board we called the bat mobile - my brother, cousins and I painted it red and drew a big black bat in the middle - HA!

Would I swim in there today or let my kids? Hell no!!!! I don't even like my little dog to get to close to water when we are there

I guess my point is...the alligator was too close for comfort and the game warden said he couldn't do anything about him legally...so he left it up to my dad to decide how to "quietly" handle it. It was not legal to kill him but I think family took presidence over the law in the early 70's according to my dad. BTW it tastes like an oily chicken to me... too fatty for my liking....
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    I've had it. OK, sort of like dark meat chicken. Needs a little seasoning tho.
    Deep fried with cocktail sauce, tasty It is sort of like chicken, except more tender.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Don't really know about gators, don't get too many up hear in Maryland. I know one thing - they can jump several feet out of the water. Has anybody ever seen Lake Placid - hell if I'm ever going to hunt for gators.

As for deer, one big reason in Anne Arundel County they have unlimited doe hunting b/c of over-population. It has been proven here that big deer pop's are related to lyme's disease outbreaks. A friend of mine got it and spent over 2 weeks in the hospital. All because of deer ticks. So don't talk about over population doesn't lead to problems with humans.

Have we as humans encroached on the deer/alligator/whatever habitat - yes to an extent. There's a reason the man-upstairs gave us humans opposable thumbs and not the animals
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Forgot to mention with deer - another big reason for unlimited hunting on doe is car wrecks caused by deer crossing the road. I was a recipient of this and it did ~ $3500 damage to my truck. Thank god it didn't roll up into the windshield or even go thru it.

Gators - know a couple that live on a canal and the dude in the house was trying to open the door from the backporch. Wouldn't open and he went around the house to see what was wrong - a 10-12 ft alligator was sunning himself and blocking the door at the same time.

To get back to the original topic, is this chick a cheerleader in SC?? I saw this on CNN yesterday.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc View Post

She did a great job catching that at night though.
    Mmmmm, mmmmm, I do like me some gator meat!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Mmmmm, mmmmm, I do like me some gator meat!
    "Gator tots" anyone!? They have them in place of chicken poppers, ect... in some eateries...
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*