Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Are The Stripes On Ed's Wolfgang Real, Or Are They A Laminated Decal?

I was showing a co-worker the images of EVH's appearance on an upcoming episode of Two And A Half Men (this Monday, September 21), and we got to discussing guitars. As he looked at the images, he asked me a question that I really did not have an answer for, namely, are the stripes on this guitar real, or are they the result of some process that allows a "decal" to be applied, then clear coated? If this process is indeed possible, it occurs to me that the "skins" of certain famous guitars could theoretically be reproduced, including the version depicted in the photos.

More than likely, this is the same model featured on one of those multiple Guitar World covers from the beginning of the year. I was curious if anyone has ever seen the guitar up close, or has found out what exactly took place in creating it.

Thanks to one and all for any insights you may be able to provide.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The stripes were masked and painted on.

Last Online

Thanks, Dino.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Thanks, Dino.
    No, thank YOU!!!! ...
    I didn't realize that Two And A Half Men episode was this coming Monday night.

Last Online

Ya know, the funny thing is, I thought that I was on to something. Essentially, I could print out these peel and stick decals of famous guitars in the forms of common guitar shapes for end users to apply to their axes. Then it dawned on me that the makers of Guitar Hero are already marketing a similar product for their game controllers.

George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya know, the funny thing is, I thought that I was on to something. Essentially, I could print out these peel and stick decals of famous guitars in the forms of common guitar shapes for end users to apply to their axes. Then it dawned on me that the makers of Guitar Hero are already marketing a similar product for their game controllers.

Chef - Rick Parfitt started a company a few years back that did exactly this........basically for strat and tele-type guitars......you but a decal and completely change the appearance........I can't recally what they're called - but I bought a stars and stripes one for one of the Kramers I use for my Bon Jovi tribute......then I found out the Kramer was 7/8 size - so I had to 'adjust' it with scissors! 'Facelift' I think they're called....
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Last Online

No kidding? Wow. It seems like a neat idea. Now believe me, I'm not saying it would be appropriate for a high dollar guitar, but as a novelty gag using a cheap guitar, it would be kind of funny. Admittedly, the market for such a thing would be fairly small.

I still wish I'd thought of the faceplate idea for those Guitar Hero controllers a few years ago. The way that game has taken off in the past 18 months, it would have been a goldmine.

Brand X, thanks for the info.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

No kidding? Wow. It seems like a neat idea. Now believe me, I'm not saying it would be appropriate for a high dollar guitar, but as a novelty gag using a cheap guitar, it would be kind of funny. Admittedly, the market for such a thing would be fairly small.

I still wish I'd thought of the faceplate idea for those Guitar Hero controllers a few years ago. The way that game has taken off in the past 18 months, it would have been a goldmine.

Brand X, thanks for the info.
    Would you have includeded 5 ply binding on the faceplate?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    Would you have includeded 5 ply binding on the faceplate?
    Nah, but I would have included a package of those little stars to stick on the side of the fretboard, in order to remember where your fingers should go most often.
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i'm assuming the day will come, perhaps sooner than later, when guitars will have "skins" like cel phones do. I imagine it would be pretty damn successful.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk5150 View Post
    Uh oh!!!! If you look carefully on that site they have a skin called 'replica', which is clearly a ripoff of the frankie!...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I was showing a co-worker the images of EVH's appearance on an upcoming episode of Two And A Half Men (this Monday, September 21), and we got to discussing guitars. As he looked at the images, he asked me a question that I really did not have an answer for, namely, are the stripes on this guitar real, or are they the result of some process that allows a "decal" to be applied, then clear coated? If this process is indeed possible, it occurs to me that the "skins" of certain famous guitars could theoretically be reproduced, including the version depicted in the photos.

More than likely, this is the same model featured on one of those multiple Guitar World covers from the beginning of the year. I was curious if anyone has ever seen the guitar up close, or has found out what exactly took place in creating it.

Thanks to one and all for any insights you may be able to provide.
    Also, this particular Wolfgang was built with Ed's still-to-be-released DTH (Drop To Hell) tailpiece. Also also, this particular Wolfgang was aged in a similar way the Frankenstrat replicas were.