Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default So I want a new amp...

The time has come. I have an arsenal of great guitars and great pedal effects. I want a nice amp now. My budget isn't going to allow for a crazy boutique amp, well it might, but it probably won't.

My dream amp for a lot of years now has been a Fender Tonemaster with a 4x12 cab and a 1x15 cab, to be used alternatively.

What do you guys think?

I definitely want a half stack. I definitely want tube. I definitely want warmth and a brittle glassy clean...not necessarly brit glassy.

Think Ian Moore, seventies Jeff Beck, the Faces, Richie Sambora circa 1995, REM circa Automatic for the People, stuff like that.

I don't play EVH type stuff, nor do I play 80s rock. As a player I skip right over 80s metal/hard rock. I'm more from the Tom Petty, the Smiths, Pixies, Cars type vibe than I am Dokken, Scorpions and other such groups.

So...give me suggestions.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya know, you should check out the Peavey 3120.

Although it does the 80's metal/Van Halen kind of cranked Marshall sound very well on the lead channel, it also has a lower-gain-to-medium-high-gain AMAZING crunch channel. Just that channel has a HUGE range. Plus the amp has a very nice clean channel. Probably the best clean channel on any Peavey, considering they usually sacrifice clean channels for Lead channels. This amp would definitely be my go to amp to buy if I wanted a slightly different flavored lead tone (other than my usual taste for the 5150/5150III/Soldano SLO100 kinda lead tone).

Another amp to check out would be the Egnator Tourmaster Head. It's a 100 watt head, but has power cut switches on each channel that can take you down to 50, 25, and 15 watts (or so), which really makes it versatile. Again, it has a great high gain lead channel, but there is much more to the amp. I played one of these in a store with all the current high end marshalls... and the Egnator sounded much more 'like a Marshall' than the Marshalls did...

As far as cabs, I'm not sure if I'd recommend either of the matching cabs for those 2 heads. Try them, but don't think the amp is bad if you don't like the sound... it's probably more the cab. Maybe try out some Marshall cabs with the heads (if possible) before you buy. Cabs seem to be kinda hit or miss finding good ones locally at any given store.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 09.16.09 at 07:47 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.29.09 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It all boils down to what sort of tones you prefer.

If the Tonemaster is your dream amp, why not track one down?

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Ya know, you should check out the Peavey 3120.

Although it does the 80's metal/Van Halen kind of cranked Marshall sound very well on the lead channel, it also has a lower-gain-to-medium-high-gain AMAZING crunch channel. Just that channel has a HUGE range. Plus the amp has a very nice clean channel. Probably the best clean channel on any Peavey, considering they usually sacrifice clean channels for Lead channels. This amp would definitely be my go to amp to buy if I wanted a slightly different flavored lead tone (other than my usual taste for the 5150/5150III/Soldano SLO100 kinda lead tone).

Another amp to check out would be the Egnator Tourmaster Head. It's a 100 watt head, but has power cut switches on each channel that can take you down to 50, 25, and 15 watts (or so), which really makes it versatile. Again, it has a great high gain lead channel, but there is much more to the amp. I played one of these in a store with all the current high end marshalls... and the Egnator sounded much more 'like a Marshall' than the Marshalls did...

As far as cabs, I'm not sure if I'd recommend either of the matching cabs for those 2 heads. Try them, but don't think the amp is bad if you don't like the sound... it's probably more the cab. Maybe try out some Marshall cabs with the heads (if possible) before you buy. Cabs seem to be kinda hit or miss finding good ones locally at any given store.
    I can vouch for this!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Another amp to check out would be the Egnator Tourmaster Head. It's a 100 watt head, but has power cut switches on each channel that can take you down to 50, 25, and 15 watts (or so), which really makes it versatile. Again, it has a great high gain lead channel, but there is much more to the amp. I played one of these in a store with all the current high end marshalls... and the Egnator sounded much more 'like a Marshall' than the Marshalls did....
    I had a very poor experience with the Tourmaster 4212. I worked with the amp for hours and was unable to get a decent tone out of it. The power switches on the back do absolutely nothing. This amp was probably the worst sounding amp I have ever played. I have owned and played many amps - everything from vintage Bassman, Showman, Gibson Discoverers, JC120, right up to the Egnater Rebel 20.

Check out videos by these guys as they demo out lots of great amps, mostly boutique, but you can really hear some great and diverse tones. Good luck!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

one word: Boobtone

www.boobtone.com
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I had a very poor experience with the Tourmaster 4212. I worked with the amp for hours and was unable to get a decent tone out of it. The power switches on the back do absolutely nothing. This amp was probably the worst sounding amp I have ever played. I have owned and played many amps - everything from vintage Bassman, Showman, Gibson Discoverers, JC120, right up to the Egnater Rebel 20. ]
    Wow, that's kinda surprising. Maybe you just tried a bad apple... you never know. Actually, I never tried the combo version though... maybe it's much worse than the head?!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey Broken. I'd give props to Boobtone too, but I've also been very impressed with Orange amps versatility. I tried the Thunderverb recently, and I an say I want one. It has built in attenuation too. I'm positive you could dial in the classic Tom Petty tone, as well as an Elliott Easton tone, and if the need arises, you've got more than enough gain on tap to lay out a scorching lead every now and then. Thier great amps, and honestly have a reasonable price for a tube amp nowadays.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Hey Broken, check out this website:

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/

There is alot of great information about the kind of amps you are looking for, including soundclips. Once you're there, click on the "Boutique Shop" link at the top of the page, then check out the "Amps" section to the left.

Based on the sound you described that you are looking for, I would strongly recommend checking out the new PRS Sweet 16 head.

This site is an awesome resource for top quality gear.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't go wrong with a Marshall JCM 800 and 1969A cabinet. You can find used JCM half-stacks in great condition for about $1500 if you look hard enough.

Overall this amp is a classic and has a great sound. Not too heavy on the distortion but can get really nasty with a gain boost pedal (like the Boosta Gande).

Could go with a Mesa Boogie Lonestar and 4X12 cabinet... hard to find these really affordable though. (from what I have seen)
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    My dream amp for a lot of years now has been a Fender Tonemaster with a 4x12 cab and a 1x15 cab, to be used alternatively.
    No shit. You've been talking about it for years. Obviously, you want one. So why not go for it, pal?
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    No shit. You've been talking about it for years. Obviously, you want one. So why not go for it, pal?
    i checked on ebay, did a general google search and checked guitar center's used stock and there just aren't any. There are NEVER any.

Check this out, about 13 years ago, I had a chance to buy a brand new tonemaster head and 2x12 cab for 1575 FLAT including tax. I got a couple shops into a bidding war and that's where it ended. Damn me to hell and back for not making that deal happen.

Then about 10 years ago I had a chance at a tonemaster with a 4x12 cab, brand new, for 2000. Damn me to hell and back but I didn't have the money or the credit to pull that off.

Ever since then it's like those things don't exist.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

How about a Vox AC30. They are great for clean, mid-crunch, and they get a nice overdrive as well.

Or, an old Marshall -- JMP or Super Lead.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i checked on ebay, did a general google search and checked guitar center's used stock and there just aren't any. There are NEVER any.

Check this out, about 13 years ago, I had a chance to buy a brand new tonemaster head and 2x12 cab for 1575 FLAT including tax. I got a couple shops into a bidding war and that's where it ended. Damn me to hell and back for not making that deal happen.

Then about 10 years ago I had a chance at a tonemaster with a 4x12 cab, brand new, for 2000. Damn me to hell and back but I didn't have the money or the credit to pull that off.

Ever since then it's like those things don't exist.
    Have you thought about the Fender Supersonic. Admittedly I'm a Prosonic fan, which is probably more gain than you're looking for, but they've retooled the line as a combination Vibrolux/Bassman/Bassman with balls. Also, you could probably find one for a grand or so. Check it out:

http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    Have you thought about the Fender Supersonic. Admittedly I'm a Prosonic fan, which is probably more gain than you're looking for, but they've retooled the line as a combination Vibrolux/Bassman/Bassman with balls. Also, you could probably find one for a grand or so. Check it out:

i am considering the prosonic and the dual as a matter of fact!

I don't think I am going to have the cash to plop down on some of the boutiquey jobs that have been mentioned here but i might. There's a very slight chance I'm going to come into a sum of money towards the end of the year or soon after the new year that will allow me to indulge...just a bit, while spending the bulk on repairing credit.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.