Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Save the Smelts, Screw the Farmers...

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gotta love their language...

"This land is threatened by this harmless-looking minnow."

Yes, the fish is what's destroyed the verdant nature of the valley. Absolutely no mention whatsoever of astronomical increases in soil salinity (saltiness), desertification/the loss of topsoil by mono-cropping, the reckless depletion of the underground aquifers and even the water allotted to the Valley in the Central Valley Project, dead zones in the ocean due to use of fertilizers. And on and on and on.

But what is there to really expect...it's Fox News....

I also loved how clueless they were as to how farming in the Valley could possibly affect killer whales 60 miles away. It's so difficult to grasp until you realize what it really comes down to: willfull ignorance. The information is not hard to find. They just don't even want to look for it. Rock-solid journalism, there.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should we just shut down civilization, jan? Seriously...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Seeing how it is making the planet unlivable--that is my hope, yes.
    Last edited by seenbad; 09.17.09 at 12:33 AM. Reason: We're not going to publicize eco-terrorism on this site

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay. You first, jan.

Get rid of your computer, cell phone, car... have your electricity shut off and start lighting candles... etc.

Get back to me when you finish this small jumpstart.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Sounds familiar. He's been challenged to that before and just doesn't. The most he is, is familiar with his carbon footprint. He probably doesn't litter, or purchase products that are notorious for doing harm to the environment, but hell he's not much different from most with that. He'll never be off the grid. He's just a talker who's taken a radical posture because he likes the reaction he gets from it.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wray View Post
    Okay. You first, jan.

Get rid of your computer, cell phone, car... have your electricity shut off and start lighting candles... etc.

Get back to me when you finish this small jumpstart.
    Personal change does not equal political change. I've been un-brainwashed from that conservation-will-save-the-planet nonsense.

But for the record, I've made steps in a good direction. I now live in a tiny solar powered cabin almost completely off the grid--no telephone, no internet, well water, no "grid" electricity. The only reason I'm able to come on here is cuz I'm visiting my girlfriend at her apartment.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    He'll never be off the grid. He's just a talker who's taken a radical posture because he likes the reaction he gets from it.
    Dude what the sam hill fuck you talkin about? i HATE this kind of reaction. I much prefer the kind of reaction I get at the Derrick Jensen forums--which is that most of my beliefs are taken for granted as forum policy. I only talk this jive on here to stir the pot and hopefully get 1 in maybe 300 people thinking. i HATE the ire my positions bring. You couldn't possibly be more wrong, seen.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    Personal change does not equal political change.
    Sure it does. Everything has to start somewhere, and in politics, movements start at the grass roots level.

But for the record, I've made steps in a good direction. I now live in a tiny solar powered cabin almost completely off the grid--no telephone, no internet, well water, no "grid" electricity. The only reason I'm able to come on here is cuz I'm visiting my girlfriend at her apartment.
    So, what? Getting on the internet at your girlfriend's apartment is akin to eating that piece of cake when you're on a low calorie diet? You just cheat every once and a while?

And why are you dating someone who lives in an apartment, jan? Is it a solar powered apartment?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sure it does. Everything has to start somewhere, and in politics, movements start at the grass roots level.
    That's your belief. I've studied social movements a lot, and have probably been involved in them a lot more than yourself. I have come to believe that personal conservation does absolutely nothing to challenge corporate domination and ecological devastation and the resultant damage to human health (my own included).

And why are you dating someone who lives in an apartment, jan? Is it a solar powered apartment?
    LOL. Maybe because I'm not dogmatic enough to think that everyone must be perfect? Because I look at myself more critically than anyone? Because I'm utterly crazy about her? Take your pick. I could go on.

Any rate, I'm not gonna get sucked into the kind of silly bullshit arguments you're steering this toward. They sap my time and energy, of which I have little thanks to a disease called ankylosing spondylitis. If you want to have a meaningful, productive discussion, I'm all ears and some mouth. If you want to imitate Nolan Ryan, but instead of baseballs lob red herrings, I want no part.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

By the by, if you're actually curious why I don't think personal change equals political change (and I think you're a little confused--I'm not talking about stuff like the lunch counter sit-ins leading up to the civil rights movement--that is not personal change. personal change is stuff like recycling and eating plant-based foods rather than animal flesh and secretions), here's a great article by Derrick Jensen on why that is:

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/07/08

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any rate, I'm not gonna get sucked into the kind of silly bullshit arguments you're steering this toward. They sap my time and energy, of which I have little thanks to a disease called ankylosing spondylitis. If you want to have a meaningful, productive discussion, I'm all ears and some mouth. If you want to imitate Nolan Ryan, but instead of baseballs lob red herrings, I want no part.
    I'm curious of your rationale, jan. There's no red herring, here. Only what I see as a bit of hypocrisy.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

i HATE the ire my positions bring. You couldn't possibly be more wrong, seen.
    Maybe I'm wrong. Seems odd though that if you hate it so much, you couldn't find a less flippant and irritating way of delivering your thoughts.

Actually, never mind. Any effort at this point would prove fruitless. You've pretty much blown any chance of being heard in this forum.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm curious of your rationale, jan. There's no red herring, here. Only what I see as a bit of hypocrisy.
    And I'm the first to admit it. Who with ideals in this world has absolutely no hypocrisy? A liar or a delusional, that's it. We just have to do our best.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong. Seems odd though that if you hate it so much, you couldn't find a less flippant and irritating way of delivering your thoughts.
    Believe me or don't, but here's the honest truth: I appreciate the constructive criticism. It's something I need to work on and I know it better than anyone!