Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Road Signs: Tax money spent just to show you that tax money is being spent??? huh??

Across the country, motorists are being greeted by signs advertising President Obama's $787 billion stimulus bill, and Republicans aren't happy about it.

The large green-and-white highway signs declare, "Project Funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act." Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H describes them as the "signs to nowhere" and tried in vain Wednesday to stop the advertising.

Democrats were nearly unanimous in voting to defeat an amendment by Greg that would have prohibited the use of stimulus funds for signs that advertise taxpayer spending on stimulus projects.

Only five Democrats crossed the aisle in the 45-52 vote, joining all 40 Republicans in support of Greg's amendment.

"Considering the questionable effectiveness of the stimulus bill, it is completely unreasonable that signs are being constructed at a price tag of hundreds to thousands of dollars apiece for lawmakers to pat themselves on the back about this legislation," said Gregg, who voted against the stimulus bill.

"These signs are simply for political self-interest, and it's high time we stop using stimulus dollars to fund them, and instead use these dollars for their intended purpose of creating economic activity," he said in a written statement.

The cost of the signs vary from state to state. For example, a "Good Morning America" report calculated the cost at $500 in Maryland and New Hampshire to $3,000 in New Jersey. Gregg estimated the total cost at anywhere from $6 million to $20 million.

Even so, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., opposed the amendment, saying the signs help keep the public informed about federal projects. She argued the amendment was motivated by frustration on the part of Republicans who opposed the stimulus and now see that it's working. Only three Republican senators voted for the stimulus bill.

"They predicted gloom and doom. And let me tell you what's happening in this great nation of ours. We have a long way to go to get jobs up and running, there's no question about it. But the stimulus has already saved or created a million jobs," she said.

"So now I think the issue here is a frustration with the fact that we won that vote and we got that done and those jobs are being created as we speak," she said. "Slowly, but surely, we're being lifted out of the darkness."

After the vote, Gregg appeared flabbergasted.

"I just find it absurd that we're putting up all these signs all over the country with taxpayer money telling taxpayers we're spending their money," he told FOX News. "Most taxpayers can figure that out. We don't have to put up a sign and tell them we're spending their money.

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Jesus................

And we still got 3 1/2 years of this stupidity? Well, I say 3 1/2 years, hopefully 2010 will be the kicking off point.

And, don't think this doesn't apply to Republicans too. You wanna get stupid, we'll vote you out too.

HH<-----speechless-------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Even so, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., opposed the amendment, saying the signs help keep the public informed about federal projects.
    Thanks, Barbara.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

actually, I think they should require projects that are stimulus funded to be so identified. and I think that every time one of those pork projects gets going, there should be a sign designating it as a federally funded project and name the legislator who got that ear mark funding.

we should all know where the money is going

bridges, schools, post offices etc all still bear the WPA PROJECT sign around here....I bet no one got their panties in a twist about it back them

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    actually, I think they should require projects that are stimulus funded to be so identified. and I think that every time one of those pork projects gets going, there should be a sign designating it as a federally funded project and name the legislator who got that ear mark funding.

we should all know where the money is going
    There are plenty of cheap alternatives that can accomplish this. TV, radio, newspapers, etc. There's no need to spend $10-$20 million on something so trivial.
    Last edited by Wray; 09.16.09 at 05:53 PM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

I don't know about the WPA stuff, but I bet it didn't cost them as much to make a sign back then, even adjusted for inflation. And they didn't have the internet and 24 hour news channels to spread the word back then, either.

Not sure why one of these damn things costs $500 in Maryland but $3000 in New Jersey, either, but again, any amount is too much and it's another example of highway funds being wasted. How much per mile is this going to cost us?

While our convicts are making license plates, can they not be churning out road signs as well? They'd be doing something useful instead of shanking each other in the yard and besides, might help some of 'em learn to spell.

Fucking government of ours.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What's the daily tole for the war on the Middle East--at least $1,000,000,000 a day? And Republicans are balking about a couple million spent on signs? Fucking idiots, gimme a break

edit: for the record, I agree it's a stupid waste of taxpayer money, but they're firing bullets at the Tonka Truck rolling toward them while there's a TANK behind it.
    Last edited by janthraxx; 09.16.09 at 07:26 PM.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    What's the daily tole for the war on the Middle East--at least $1,000,000,000 a day? And Republicans are balking about a couple million spent on signs? Fucking idiots, gimme a break .
    Remember Jan, the Demo's agreed to this war and once it got rolling, the back peddled on it. Both sides wanted blood after 9/11. It was one of our country's greatest moments when both parties came together for the good of our country and its people. 1st and more than likey the last time we'll ever see that happen again in our life time.

But yes, there are idiots on both sides of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    edit: for the record, I agree it's a stupid waste of taxpayer money, but they're firing bullets at the Tonka Truck rolling toward them while there's a TANK behind it.
    Ok then............

HH<-----Wonder if there anymore room on Giligan's Island-------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know some high school cheerleaders who can make a bunch of signs for less than $20. We can laminate them and put them out on the side of the road, and then the goverment can take the money saved and put it in my pocket as a thank you.

LV

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

The states where the signs cost the least, are states that use prison labor to make the signs. In Iowa, all road signs are done by prisoners. Saving us, the taxpayers, TONS of money.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Actually, The Democrats might be wise to pay attention here and be careful when it comes to hanging signs.

I think their Republican counterparts have some experience with the subject.

[IMG][/IMG]
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

$3,000 for a sign.. I think that's all you really need to know about govt spending....
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

All our problems and they're bickering about signs?? I don't get it. Oh and it's a ridiculous way to waste still more money.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    $3,000 for a sign.. I think that's all you really need to know about govt spending....
    says more to me about New Jersey politicians than anything else

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.