Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Guitar Prices In Your Area

Hey all. I've been doing a little hunting around the city, and have been pleasantly surprised that prices on alot of big brand guitars and basses has gone down extensively. A year ago I was awe struck at the prices, number one, the fact that MSRP was so high in the first place, and second that stores we're actually stickering their instruments not far off from the MSRP....some actually trying their luck at selling above what manufacturers were suggesting. At any rate....it's good to see things coming back down to earth, if only for a brief time perhaps..... but this got me wondering if this is just a local phenomenon, or if it's more widespread. Have any of you noticed a substantial decrease in prices for made in USA product? Living in Canada....we're used to getting raped for U.S. made goods, but given that the world economy took such a dump, I was wondering if it's just because our dollars are closer, or if you guys in the States have noticed this as well. I have not noticed a large drop in big name amps yet...in fact amps actually seem higher priced oddly enough. You'd think with all the competion with modelling amps, there'd be a little more movement to stay cometetive, but there are some reissue Marshalls in my store's catalog selling for $10.000.00 bucks!!! I'd be particularily interested to hear from Al, our resident French Canadian guitar wizard to see what's going on in eastern Canada too.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Not a bit surprised at all. Manufacturers and a overblown, inflated, and a made up economy is why we saw ridiculous prices. It is not just in music gear prices are dropping it is everywhere. The grocery prices in my area have dropped big time ! Some of the more " high end " Grocery stores could not compete unless they came down to earth too. Now they are all fighting for the same fewer dollars people are spending. This is what happens when there is a segment of society getting too rich too fast. It just cannot be sustained in any country. I would expect tough competition and reasonable pricing for many years to come until things are stable. The high priced stuff you are seeing, is designed for the market that has the big bucks and always will. They are people that have money to burn and they are going to spend it befor they die no matter what. Just because the overall population is hunkering down during tough times, don't forget that there is more wealth out there in society than there has ever been in human history !!!!!! We have people in society that can't spend it fast enough, they make that money !! These are the people that will buy the $10,000 marshall. The same people who drive a $80,000 dollar car. Marketers just adjust for the changes that come and go.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah. Very true. The reason I bring it up was it seemed that through the real tough part of the recession, when other product maufacturers where dropping prices, Gibson and Fender in particular were going business as usual. I think this must have really bit them in the ass. I know our biggest music store said they could not move their product, and were in fact selling more Squier, Epiphone and other knockoffs then they ever have. Not a bad thing of course,there's some great offshore clones, but there is that desire from people such as myself who do take pride in buying American.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been curious to know how well the Fender Wolfgangs are selling.
    Not that they're bad guitars, but they were introduced during a really bad time in our economy and IMO, they were priced about $1k too high.
    My guess is that sales really didn't meet Fender's (or Ed's) expectations.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I've been curious to know how well the Fender Wolfgangs are selling.
    Not that they're bad guitars, but they were introduced during a really bad time in our economy and IMO, they were priced about $1k too high.
    My guess is that sales really didn't meet Fender's (or Ed's) expectations.
    I have a guitar store near me which is an pretty big EVH dealer, and it's not a chain store like guitar center.

I went in right after the first Wolfgang II's came out, and asked the guy what he thought of the guitar, and like everyone else, he thought it was WAYYY overpriced for what you get. But then I asked if I could see one and he said, 'nope, I don't have any more'. He had already sold 9 of them... I'm fairly certain he has been pretty much consistantly selling them since then, and we are not located in a hugely rich area -- I'd call it about average.

However, I have noticed that many WolfII's are just sitting on ebay, and pricing for new ones has started to slip down.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Interesting about the Wolfgang. That's what the guy in the amp department at my store said about the Marshall, only he said it was about 6 grand over what it should be......and like you discovered, it was already on B/O. Who the hell has that kind of money? Now the head alone, given current prices, I could honestly see being around 3 grand....it seems to be the going rate for the big name amps nowadays, but when you're talking cabinets at about $3.500? That's alot of coin for something that is pretty straightforward fabrication, loaded with Celestions, that are BTW... made in China.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Interesting about the Wolfgang. That's what the guy in the amp department at my store said about the Marshall, only he said it was about 6 grand over what it should be......and like you discovered, it was already on B/O. Who the hell has that kind of money? Now the head alone, given current prices, I could honestly see being around 3 grand....it seems to be the going rate for the big name amps nowadays, but when you're talking cabinets at about $3.500? That's alot of coin for something that is pretty straightforward fabrication, loaded with Celestions, that are BTW... made in China.
    Ya, I agree. I think the 5150III has a fair price. Even the cab is fair considering the cost of the speakers alone. The D-tuna and the shoes I think are also at very fair prices. But the EVH cords and the Wolfgang II, just seem a bit inflated.

I tend to think that the 5150III, even if it was $3000, does a LOT more for you, than the Wolfgang II at $3000. (And the 5150III does more for you uniquely, given you can't get that sound anywhere else.)

Same goes with any gear. Are EVH cords gonna do a lot more for you than a $15 cord? No.

Favorite VH Album

I love them all, even VH III
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls is up there.
    Last Online

05.05.10 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree totally about the EVH cables.... I was going to get them since they are supposed to have extra clarity that others lack, but the one foot was like $20+ at Musicians Friend, so I had to walk away. The longer cables that I would have needed were $30+, and I would have needed five since I run my cab in stereo.... That's just a rip off.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still say most of the EvH stuff is just a bunch of hype bought up by the fans.
    Fortunately for Ed, I think most of his fans are those who have followed him most of his career, which would mean the average EvH fan is in his/her 40's and most likely has money to spend on his crap ... uh, I mean gear.

Without new music and touring to help promote his gear though, I do wonder how long it will last.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

It does seems as if they have gone down in the Dallas TX area. I was shopping around over the weekend and noticed that there were some great deals going on at GC as well as the Mom and Pop shops.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Well last friday was one of the best Musicians Friends Friday specials I have ever seen if not the best.They had the Fender Ash Strat Deluxe for$899/SRV artist series for $999/ and the Eric Johnson artist series for $1,599 So that is close to a grand of all three of those axes. And since GC owns MF they would have to honor those sales.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    hehe..ok..first..Celestion in hight end marshall..not made in China...no way..LOL, Celestion still has it's construction shop in the UK. and what Marshall reisse are you refering to mate?...it's pretty vague, and don't forget Catalogues use retail price, so 10 000$ means about 7500$ street price. a standard marshall cab is about 1000$ new. i mean a new EVH Stack is 3500$ and it's made in Mexico, so i don't have any problem with a hand wirerd twin stack marshall for 7500$...not a bit... As to who can afford those!, you'de be supprise how many do. I check my living room i have at least 15 000$ of gear lying around, and i don't have much stuff. the crazy fans who go out and buy every EVH made out there...now THAT's crazy..LOL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    hehe..ok..first..Celestion in hight end marshall..not made in China...no way..LOL, Celestion still has it's construction shop in the UK. and what Marshall reisse are you refering to mate?...it's pretty vague, and don't forget Catalogues use retail price, so 10 000$ means about 7500$ street price. a standard marshall cab is about 1000$ new. i mean a new EVH Stack is 3500$ and it's made in Mexico, so i don't have any problem with a hand wirerd twin stack marshall for 7500$...not a bit... As to who can afford those!, you'de be supprise how many do. I check my living room i have at least 15 000$ of gear lying around, and i don't have much stuff. the crazy fans who go out and buy every EVH made out there...now THAT's crazy..LOL
    If you know for a fact that they are not the Chinese made Celestions in the cabs, I'll take your word for it. This is what the sales rep said. I did'nt see the speakers or anything, and given that every single Celestion speaker for sale in the store for purchase had a Made in China on the box, I tended to believe him. As for which model Alain; I'll have to get back, but it is one of the handwired plexi reissues....probably a 1959, or something. Schon from Journey did a little deal about them on Youtube saying that they were very true to the original....best amp he's ever played. yadda yadda.... but as for the price, yeah...the complete stack is going for the $9000.00+ mark, so after tax it's over ten large. Like I said...I understand that these are limited edition deals, and I know that for some people who can afford it, it will make them happy. All I'm saying is that to me, even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I could'nt bring myself to buy a corporate replica. I'd take some of plexi kits out there over these. Whatever. It's very cool looking and I'm sure very authentic, or as authentic you can get by todays standards. Just waaay to much money. If it was going for say $7500, I could maybe accept that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Hey Alain.
    Here's an ad for the amp in question. The amp was the 40th. Anniversary. It's the JTM 45/100 stack.
    Description:
    Limited edition, handwired, JTM45/100 celebrating the 40th. anniversary of the iconic Marshall stack. Includes the JTM45/100 head, and the 812T40/812B40 4x12" speaker cabinets containing Celestion 25w. vintage reproduction speakers. Head features KT66 output tubes, as well as a dual output transformer design. Limited to 350 sets, these full stacks deliver the classic tones of players like Pete Townsend of The Who, and the singing overdrive of Jimi Hendrix. Available in Canada on a limited availability, these classic timepieces retail at $11.999.00. (MSRP). Don't miss out on a chance to own a piece of Rock & Roll history.

Doesn't say where the speakers were made, but you may be right about being made in England if they're actually custom shop speakers. I'm not arguing that there are people who can afford them too Alain. I don't have loads of stuff either, but what gear I do have, especially amp gear, is worth a pretty penny or two as well. I've still got one vintage Marshall left that I'll never part with. I got it back when you could pretty much pick up any non plexi Marshall for anywhere between $200.00 and $500.00. That was in 89 or 90.
    Look at how much 70's Marshall's go for even on Craigslist. This thread wasn't intended to be a "dispute the facts" deal. More it's just to see what the financial state is of the hobby, and for a lot on here, lifestyle we love. I mentioned this Marshall simply because of it's over the top price, and the fact that the store had no problem selling them and having to reorder per request. It's not a slight against Marshall in the least. I've loved their sound since I was a kid.
    I posted this thread for the average musician. It's nice being able to walk into a store, and pick up an instrument of your choice, and look at the price tag without having a coronary! To me a good example are the Ernie Balls. For the Axis, Petrucci (non Family Reserve models), the average price in Vancouver, is about $2.300.00 off the rack.
    That's not crazy. They're a fine guitar, usually have a very pleasing top, and are set up beautifully. On the other hand.....a new Gibson Les Paul Standard goes for the absolute lowest off the rack at around $2.900.00, and that's usually because it's seen rental duty.
    The Robots, which were around $3.500.00 bucks last year have absolutely tanked. I saw an SG Robot two weeks ago at Long & Mcquade for $1.800.00. Now compare the Gibby's to the Musicman. not bolt on vs. glue in mind you but in quality.....you can't. The Musicman is a far superior instrument in fit and finish. I'm not saying there isn't the odd turkey, but I'll tell you, for approximately a grand more, and having a heritage name like Gibson...you'd think there would be a little more attention to detail before it ships out the door. That or drop you price to reflect the quality. That's what got me about this Marshall. You're paying for the lore or heritage of the name. It's still just a rehashed new amp in reality. If it floats you boat and you got the deniro ....cool! I don't think too many would gig with it. Probably just sit in a climate controlled collection and admired with a fine cigar and Napoleon brandy!