Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

A Touching Moment Between Father & Daughter At A Ballgame (Seriously)

Just for a refreshing change of pace, check out the following story. A baseball fan catches a foul ball and hands it to his daughter, who promptly throws it back. Wait until you see the look on the father's face, and have a handkerchief handy.

Girl hurls dadís foul back, still gets a hug

By Peter Mucha

Inquirer Staff Writer

A series of funny and yet tender moments happened at last night's Phillies game, when Steve Monforto of Laurel Springs reached over an upper-deck railing to snag a foul ball, then handed it to his daughter Emily.

The 3-year-old promptly reared her arm over her pink baseball cap and tossed the ball away.

No sooner had play-by-play man Tom McCarthy said, "Nice grab," than he was saying, "Whoop - there it goes!" during the TV broadcast.

"She's only doing what she sees them do all the time, and that is to throw the ball back," said commentator Gary Matthews.

Surprise came over the father's face, but then he laughed and gave Emily a happy hug.

Wife Kathleen, holding baby Cecilia, was shocked then laughing, too.

"See, when she first threw it over, you know, I kind of laughed and was like, 'Oh my gosh, there it goes.' But then the look on her face was that she may have done something wrong, so I wanted to let her know that ... she didn't do anything wrong," Steve Monforto told Fox29 this morning by phone.

"I've gotten a couple of texts about whether Emily's available to close or not," he added.

Videos of the fifth-inning catch - and release - have been getting lots of views online, including ones at www.mlb.com and www.thefightins.com. There was even some national attention from the likes of FoxNews.

Steve's aunt Debbie Monforto called to say the family has been besieged by media today, with TV crews camped out on the lawn.

By the way, the Monfortos were quickly given a new ball by Mike Stiles, senior vice president of administration and operations.

The Phillies also plan a surprise gift to the Monforto family tomorrow.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...cmpid=15585797
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

She gets a hug because that's Daddy's little girl ......I have a 5 year old daughter, and she can do no wrong .....

It's a funny thing I didn't expect when I became a father, I always thought that I would treat my kids equally......but since I have a boy (12 years old) and a girl....I have found it is not true.....if my son started toward a light socket with a screwdriver, I might say something like. "Go ahead....see what happens, you knucklehead!.....garantee you won't do that again".......but my little girl?....I would pack in foam peanuts 24/7 if I thought it would save her from hurt......

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I guess I fail to see the tender moment so endeared by the media on this. Not to be a downer or anything, I just don't see the hoopla. He catches a foul, hands it to her, she throws it back, they hug. ...uh. Cute....I guess.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    I guess I fail to see the tender moment so endeared by the media on this. Not to be a downer or anything, I just don't see the hoopla. He catches a foul, hands it to her, she throws it back, they hug. ...uh. Cute....I guess.
    I'm with you on this one. I think it's being WAY overdone. Of course it's a very nice moment, but unless you're a total scumbag I really believe most dad's would have had the same exact reaction. How could you not?? The little girl is like 3 years old at most.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I think it's being WAY overdone. Of course it's a very nice moment, but unless you're a total scumbag I really believe most dad's would have had the same exact reaction. How could you not?? The little girl is like 3 years old at most.

Remember though, we're talking about fans in a city that booed and pelted Santa Clause with snowballs.

With as rabid as Philly fans are, that little girl better thank her lucky stars he didn't try to toss her back too.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    You guys been to a Walmart lately?....

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

ditto... It was cute, but a tear jerker? nope...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    You guys been to a Walmart lately?....
    I've only been to a wal mart twice in my life. Once when an air mattress I was camping on blew up and I needed a replacement, that was about 8 years ago and then again about 3 months ago when I needed a pair of water shoes for my son.

I try not to go to wal mart.

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow. You guys are dicks. lol

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I guess I find this to be more touching because I could never see that kinda thing happening between my father and I. Ever.

Now, I could see it happening with my grandfather, which increases the emotion of it because he hasn't been "with" us in four and a half years. We used to go to ballgames all the time when I was five or six years old, and it's moments like that you wish you can live again.

So I think it's adorable, because I can semi-relate to it. That's a very sweet father/daughter moment

And once again, Major League Baseball stays in the 19th century by not allowing the video to stay on youtube. Motherfuckers :
    Last edited by ZachenFoot; 09.17.09 at 09:08 PM.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Imagine how this story would have been different if the kid threw the ball and clocked someone in the cabeza. D'oh!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    I guess I find this to be more touching because I could never see that kinda thing happening between my father and I. Ever.
    You're a guy. And I really doubt your dad would smack you in the head if you did that at 3.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    Remember though, we're talking about fans in a city that booed and pelted Santa Clause with snowballs.

With as rabid as Philly fans are, that little girl better thank her lucky stars he didn't try to toss her back too.
    Thats fked up. It's totally ignorant the slams on Philly fans and the warped stories you all like to tell. Some of these stories are like whisper down the lane. The truth gets totally distorted.

The Santa thing..That was a drunken sloppy attendee being an idiot...not a hired Santa giving things to kids..Philly was being beaten badly and this sloppy drunken Santa was who was hit with snowballs. People make it out like Philly is so bad they trash Santa...it's silly to even argue over Santa lol but the truth is more that he was pelted becuase fans were disgusted with their team and he was making a fool of himself and "Santa". So in a way they were defending Santa's honor. lol

Philly is filled with passionate fans..some are idiots most aren't. I had Eagles season tickets for 5 years when the linc opened and it's filled with awesome people.

You could bring up any city and find stories of bad behavior. That comment about throwing the little girl is just fked up even in jest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

ballance
    Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Why do the fans fight over the balls can they get alot of money for them never really understood that ,i mean they use alot of balls during a game

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Wray View Post
    Wow. You guys are dicks. lol
    Apparently.