Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Peavey Wolfgang Tuners

    Does anyone know what company made the USA Peavey Wolfgang Special Tuners?

    I've got 2 projects nearing completion; one will have some older Schaller Mini's, the other will have Wolfgang special tuners. If I end up liking the Wolfgang tuners more than the Schallers, I'd like to know what company made them so I can get more.

  2. #2
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,977
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 12:27 PM
    Likes
    2,615
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    The tuners on my Wolfgang standard look exactly the same as the tuners on my special, except that the Standard tuners are stamped with the Schaller logo. Not sure if the special's tuners are unbranded schallers, or if they're a repro.

  3. #3
    Hot For Teacher Rokstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.07
    Posts
    246
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Likes
    55
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    I put the pearloid tuner buttons on my wolf SP I had back in the day. The did not tighten well and work too well thereafter. I put Schallers on and installed the pearl buttons and all was well. The Schallers seemed the exact same dimensions as the originals, but were much nicer to use.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

  4. #4
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Does anyone know what company made the USA Peavey Wolfgang Special Tuners?

    I've got 2 projects nearing completion; one will have some older Schaller Mini's, the other will have Wolfgang special tuners. If I end up liking the Wolfgang tuners more than the Schallers, I'd like to know what company made them so I can get more.
    I've always wondered but have no idea. My guess is Ping, because they are incredibly similar to other Ping tuners I've seen being sold. (The difference being the Wolfgang tuners have one little prong mounting device and the ones sold have two.) The only place I've ever been able to buy the Wolfgang Special ones is from the Peavey Parts Dept. I think they're great, though--never any problems of any kind on my trem or hard tail Wolfgang Specials.

  5. #5
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks everybody. I wasn't expecting to have any problems with the Wolfgang tuners, regardless of where they were made. I just was wondering who made them for future reference. I guess I'll just have to see if I like them any better than the schallers.

  6. #6
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Funny this was brought up. I just broke a tuner on my black Peavy Standard. Unlike the pearl on my trans amber flametop, this one has ivory pegs. I'm no guitar builder, so sorry if this question sounds a little clueless. Would I be able to replace it through Peavey?

  7. #7
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,977
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 12:27 PM
    Likes
    2,615
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Reckless Fable,

    Yes you can call the Peavey Parts dept (i don't have their number handy) and order replacements. However, I recommend switching to a set of the pearloid buttons, available at stewmac. The ivory ones have a tendency to break, as you've now experienced.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Does anyone know what company made the USA Peavey Wolfgang Special Tuners?

    I've got 2 projects nearing completion; one will have some older Schaller Mini's, the other will have Wolfgang special tuners. If I end up liking the Wolfgang tuners more than the Schallers, I'd like to know what company made them so I can get more.
    I have a chrome set if you want them. They're used but in good condition. If you pay me for shipping you can have 'em free. I have no use for them. PM me if you want them.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    I have a chrome set if you want them. They're used but in good condition. If you pay me for shipping you can have 'em free. I have no use for them. PM me if you want them.
    that's really nice of you otis.

    i swear, the links is like a magnet for good hearted considerate well-meaning folks. We also get our fair share of tools and douchebags, but seriously, guys like Otis far outweigh the rest!
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    Funny this was brought up. I just broke a tuner on my black Peavy Standard. Unlike the pearl on my trans amber flametop, this one has ivory pegs. I'm no guitar builder, so sorry if this question sounds a little clueless. Would I be able to replace it through Peavey?
    Peavey can sell you a replacement tuner with the ivory button, they just can't sell you the button alone (because they buy the tuners from Schaller with the colored buttons). You have a couple of other options, both of which I recommend over buying a new tuner from Peavey (because the other buttons will also crack eventually).

    1. Buy a set of pearloid buttons, as was previously suggested. Or even black ebony would be cool looking. Here's a few places you can get them... StewMac: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/T...r_Buttons.html. AllParts: http://www.allparts.com/Pearloid-But...k-0978-055.htm (pearloid), http://www.allparts.com/Ebony-Button...k-0996-0e0.htm (ebony). eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Schaller-pearloi...3286.m20.l1116.

    2. I bought this German company's ivory tuner buttons for Schallers to replace the ones for my black Wolfgang, and they are AWESOME! They look amazing and won't crack like the originals. http://www.crazyparts.de/mode/schallerm6/index.php (Note: I can't find the ivory ones on their new website page, but they might still have them.)

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Reckless Fable,

    Yes you can call the Peavey Parts dept (i don't have their number handy) and order replacements. However, I recommend switching to a set of the pearloid buttons, available at stewmac. The ivory ones have a tendency to break, as you've now experienced.
    Unlike the pearloid buttons, the ivory ones have a small metal bushing in the mounting hole, which makes the plastic around that mounting area very thin. Hence they crack easily. I found a custom ivory set from Crazy Parts, a German company, made to fit the Schallers. They look and function MUCH better than the originals. I hope they're still making them.

  12. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    that's really nice of you otis.

    i swear, the links is like a magnet for good hearted considerate well-meaning folks. We also get our fair share of tools and douchebags, but seriously, guys like Otis far outweigh the rest!
    Thanks.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  13. #13
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Reckless Fable,

    Yes you can call the Peavey Parts dept (i don't have their number handy) and order replacements. However, I recommend switching to a set of the pearloid buttons, available at stewmac. The ivory ones have a tendency to break, as you've now experienced.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Peavey can sell you a replacement tuner with the ivory button, they just can't sell you the button alone (because they buy the tuners from Schaller with the colored buttons). You have a couple of other options, both of which I recommend over buying a new tuner from Peavey (because the other buttons will also crack eventually).

    1. Buy a set of pearloid buttons, as was previously suggested. Or even black ebony would be cool looking. Here's a few places you can get them... StewMac: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/T...r_Buttons.html. AllParts: http://www.allparts.com/Pearloid-But...k-0978-055.htm (pearloid), http://www.allparts.com/Ebony-Button...k-0996-0e0.htm (ebony). eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Schaller-pearloi...3286.m20.l1116.

    2. I bought this German company's ivory tuner buttons for Schallers to replace the ones for my black Wolfgang, and they are AWESOME! They look amazing and won't crack like the originals. http://www.crazyparts.de/mode/schallerm6/index.php (Note: I can't find the ivory ones on their new website page, but they might still have them.)
    Thanks guys!

    Andrew, I think I might check into your German friends. I can't believe how crappy the ivory Peavey pegs were. It's less about style points and more about making sure that it doesn't happen again. The ones on the site look pretty sweet. I'll keep you posted to let you know if they have an ivory ones available.

    Again, thanks!!!

  14. #14
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    Thanks guys!

    Andrew, I think I might check into your German friends. I can't believe how crappy the ivory Peavey pegs were. It's less about style points and more about making sure that it doesn't happen again. The ones on the site look pretty sweet. I'll keep you posted to let you know if they have an ivory ones available.

    Again, thanks!!!
    Here they are: http://www.crazyparts.de/mode/schall...bbf1164e14.php and http://www.crazyparts.de/mode/schall...b810ed270a.php. (I failed to click over to the second page before.) It looks like they've got a few options now.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. NGD Peavey Wolfgang
    By VH!! in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01.24.15, 06:49 AM
  2. Peavey Wolfgang Tuners
    By Jim Warnstedt in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.13.09, 04:52 AM
  3. Peavey Wolfgang - what could have been...
    By smithtone in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06.29.06, 10:46 AM
  4. New Peavey Wolfgang Ad
    By jimmy in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12.25.01, 01:26 AM
  5. Peavey Wolfgang
    By AxeSlinger84 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07.17.01, 06:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •