Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default Serena Williams Threatens Line Judge, Disqualified From US Open

This was one of the strangest and most disturbing displays at the U.S. Open since John Mcenroe was playing. Williams physically threatened a line judge twice, then shamefully claimed she did not (in front of a large crowd and television audience) before being thrown out of the semifinal match against Kim Clijsters. Classy, eh?

Serena Williams' meltdown leads to odd ending against Clijsters
    by Andy McCullough/The Star-Ledger
    Sunday September 13, 2009

NEW YORK --
    They gathered on the center court of Arthur Ashe Stadium, the U.S. Open head referee, the aggrieved lineswoman and a fuming Serena Williams. The lineswoman leaned toward the head referee, Brian Earley, and spoke. Williams erupted.

"I didn't say I would kill you!" Williams shouted. "Are you serious?"

Williams said something. Moments before, the lineswoman called a foot fault on Williams as she served for her tournament life in her semifinal match against Kim Clijsters at the U.S. Open last night. A foot fault, rarely called -- especially when a match is on the line -- is when the server's foot touches the baseline before making contact with the ball. The call was close and put Williams on the precipice. It gave a match-point chance to Clijsters and turned a seesaw match into an expletive-laden storm.

Williams turned toward the woman, shook her racket and screamed. She said something . Replays showed that Williams threatened to stuff the ball down the lineswoman's throat. After the match, Williams said it wasn't "necessary" to repeat what she said on the court. She brushed off the idea of apologizing to the lineswoman because "how many people yell at linespeople?"

Either way, the officials ruled that the outburst was a code violation, Williams' second of the match, and called a point penalty. The defending champion was gone. She strode across the court and shook the hand of Clijsters.

"It just happened that this point penalty," Earley said, "was on match point."

The last-minute controversy overshadowed what was a masterful performance by Kim Clijsters, the 26-year-old, once-retired Belgian. Clijsters won, 6-4, 7-5. She will face Caroline Wozniacki in the final; they will play tonight at 9. Wozniacki defeated Yanina Wickmayer in the other semifinal, 6-3, 6-3.

"It's unfortunate that a match that I was playing so well in (had) to end that way," Clijsters said. "To this point, I'm still confused about what happened out there."

As the drama played out, Clijsters stood on the other side of the court. She looked down and plucked the strings of her racket as Williams' cool melted.

"I saw Serena talking to the lineswoman over there," Clijsters said. "But I was obviously too far away to hear what was going on."

Clijsters now will have a chance to win her second U.S. Open title. She won her only Grand Slam here in 2005. This is her first appearance at Flushing Meadows since then. Nagging injuries and her desire to start a family led to her retirement in 2007, but she returned, better than ever, in August. Clijsters burst through the early rounds of this tournament, eliminating Venus Williams in the process.

The match yesterday was delayed more than an hour by the rain that's hounded this tournament for three days. When it started, Clijsters kept Williams on the run and moving backward. Until last night, Williams dominated. She breezed to semifinals and never lost a set in the finals.

But Clijsters made her mortal. She placed shots deep by the baseline and Williams couldn't press the action. Her returns flew long and out of bounds again and again.

Clijsters tugged Williams around the court and hit enough extra shots to induce 31 unforced errors.

"I think that Kim played really well," Williams said. "And I think she came out with a really big plan."

Williams double-faulted to lose the first set. She smashed her racket on the court. The string curled and warped. Across the net, Clijsters heard it crack. The chair umpire called Williams for a code violation.

The two women would trade jabs for much of the second set. Clijsters keep pecking away, but Williams responded. When her serve worked, she could attack the net and paste shots for winners. She pounded aces and saved three matches points to make hold serve at 4-all.

But Clijsters covered too much ground and Williams couldn't break her serve enough.

In the final game, Williams slapped a return into the net to make the score 15-30. Her next serve faulted.

Then everything went haywire.

Williams smiled and laughed with reporters later. She didn't understand why the lineswoman might feel threatened, because "I've never been a fight in my whole life." She must have foot faulted, because the lineswoman was "doing her job. I'm not going to knock her for not doing her job."

"I like to learn from the past," Williams said, "live in the present, and not make the same mistakes in the future."

http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in...own_leads.html
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Dave
    Last Online

11.16.12 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    This was one of the strangest and most disturbing displays at the U.S. Open since John Mcenroe was playing. Williams physically threatened a line judge twice, then shamefully claimed she did not (in front of a large crowd and television audience) before being thrown out of the semifinal match against Kim Clijsters. Classy, eh?
    Serena's behavior was disgusting. She should've been thrown out on her ass. It's too bad, because she's always been one of my faves.

Her answers at the press conference were ridiculous. She took no responsibility for her actions. And this business about how she couldn't understand how the linesperson would feel threatened by her, since she's "never been in a fight in her whole life"? WTF does that have to do with anything? Quote: "If I could, I would take this fucking ball and shove it down your fucking throat".....uhh, yeah, I would find that fucking threatening.

As badly behaved as MacEnroe was, I don't recall him ever using such threatening language or posturing.

Sickening. Sorry, but I'm pissed.
    Last edited by eden; 09.13.09 at 03:26 PM.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the truly great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain

"Edward?.....thank ya." ~ Could This Be Magic

"The attitude is we live and let live. This is actually an amazing change in values in a rather short time and it's an example of freedom from religion."
    ~ Thomas Wolfe

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Great player but a soar loser when things don't go her way.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:35 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

bad joke time:

what did Kim's boyfriend shout when he got to third base for the first time?

"I've got Clijsters on my fingers"!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:07 AM
    Liked 16,522 Times in 9,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    bad joke time:

what did Kim's boyfriend shout when he got to third base for the first time?

"I've got Clijsters on my fingers"!
    What did one Palestinian woman say to the other Palestinian woman?

"Does this bomb make my ass look big?"
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

saw it live and she totally embarassed herself.

It was a bad call, but she DID threaten the line judge that she would "shove the ball down her throat" all the while brandishing her tennis raquet over the woman's head

I like Serena, but she derserved what she got, and I'm glad the penalty point came at match point....it made it all the more powerful a penalty....she was going to lose that match anyway, but this had the power of throwing her out of the tournament for bad behaviour

now if they could just come up ,with a penalty for the horrendous WHOOOOYAH! WHOOOOYAH! noises that these chicks make everytime they stike the ball, I might just start watching tennis regulary again

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Dave
    Last Online

11.16.12 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    now if they could just come up ,with a penalty for the horrendous WHOOOOYAH! WHOOOOYAH! noises that these chicks make everytime they stike the ball, I might just start watching tennis regulary again
    I've gotten used to most of it. The only one I can't stand to watch is Sharapova and her shrieking.....every damn time. And Lord help us if she misses a big shot.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the truly great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain

"Edward?.....thank ya." ~ Could This Be Magic

"The attitude is we live and let live. This is actually an amazing change in values in a rather short time and it's an example of freedom from religion."
    ~ Thomas Wolfe

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Pretty disgusting behavior, she deserved to be tossed.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Textbook case of 'roid rage
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    It was a bad call, but she DID threaten the line judge that she would "shove the ball down her throat" all the while brandishing her tennis raquet over the woman's head
    I don't know if it was a bad call or not, I am curious as to why we've only seen on camera angle from the tournament that constantly shows us reverse angles and camera's trained on the baselines.

If you mean it was a bad call, by implying that a foot-fault shouldn't be called at that point in the match, then I disagree....a fault is a fault. Regardless it is the one stroke that each player has the most control over, the real answer is just take a half a step back....weekend hacks know this, so do the pros.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:43 AM
    Liked 1,328 Times in 798 Posts

Serena should be required to attend Anger Management Classes with Michael Richards.

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~