Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Last Online

08.06.18 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 776 Times in 374 Posts

I've seen my Dad play Chet style on a guitar strung upside down. He's a lefty, but can play my guitar upside down just as well. Still can't figure that out.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

08.10.18 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    yeah but he doesn't just play plastic guitars with warped necks. I think that comment was more of an exagerated joke than anything else. This guy has an arsenal of some incredibly rare and unique vintage guitars.
    I don't doubt that he has some sweet guitars. Sorry that "joke" just rubbed me the wrong way. Comes off dumb saying he prefers it. No big deal. I don't know , was it a joke or was it like a little false bravado at the time that sounded better in his head then spoken. I don't mean to nitpick ...I was loving the trailer up to then and I don't know maybe he thinks he's the chuck norris of guitar. I can play a broken plastic guitar that is out of tune and still rock. lol Maybe I se it wrong. Doesn't matter.

Well regardless this movie looks cool. Sounds like we both will enjoy checking it out.

peace
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I don't doubt that he has some sweet guitars. Sorry that "joke" just rubbed me the wrong way. Comes off dumb saying he prefers it. No big deal. I don't know , was it a joke or was it like a little false bravado at the time that sounded better in his head then spoken. I don't mean to nitpick ...I was loving the trailer up to then and I don't know maybe he thinks he's the chuck norris of guitar. I can play a broken plastic guitar that is out of tune and still rock. lol Maybe I se it wrong. Doesn't matter.

Well regardless this movie looks cool. Sounds like we both will enjoy checking it out.

peace
    to me it reminded me of when I read an article/interview with Cobain back at the height of Nirvana's popularity. It was in Guitar Magazine, might have been Guitar Player or World but I think it was Guitar.

Now personally, I don't think that interview was real. I think it was released to the mag and published as is to promote the band and cobain's image as an guitar anti-hero. Maybe it was legit and he actually spoke the words. Either way he sounded a complete fucking douche because he went on and on about he didn't even know how to tune a guitar, didn't know what kind of pedals he used, didn't know what kind of guitar he used etc etc. Meanwhile, in all his videos and his world tours he's taking the stage with an assortment of some of the most gorgeous strats, jaguars and mustangs I've ever seen. What's more, the tone on all the Nirvana albums was incredible.

So yeah, maybe he wasn't eric fucking johnson when it came to having an ear for effects, but he damn sure knew what guitar he had in his hand and what not.

I do think that the revolt against being steve vai or eddie van halen is still in effect, inasmuchas how some of these guys are marketted but I don't think that's where White Stripe guy was coming from. I've watched the clip a few times and I think he was making a tongue in cheek joke about how here is next to Page and The Edge, two guys who are almost as famous for their gear as they are for their playing and here he comes and some of what he plays IS made out of plastic and probably does have fucked up necks. I took it as a joke and less a statement but hey, we have different ears and perspectives. I will be glad to finally see this.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 1,676 Times in 1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Okay, someone name for me the greatest axemen of the last 3 generations.
    Steve Vai? no
    Joe Satriani? no
    Slash? no
    Zakk? no
    Clapton? no
    Santana? no
    Brian May? no
    Van Halen? Nope.

So who are the most influential guitarist of the last 3 generations?

Jimmy Page(no arguement from me)
    The Edge(????????)
    and Jack White.(huh?)

Okay, The Edge and Jack White have their own style, and could be considered innovative in their approach to the instrument, but gutiar gods?

I just watched an interview on CNN a couple days ago with Davis Guggenheim(Director) who constantly referred to those three as just that. In other interviews, he stated that those three were his FIRST CHOICE for the documentary "It Might Get Loud".

This is supposed to be a documentary about 3 different generations of "axemen", and their approaches to the guitar. He kept referring to them all as guitar gods, which made me want to puke.

There are so many other actual guitar players out there with superior talent, and recognition for being guitar players, I don't know how he could have thrown these three together with a straight face.

Here's an interesting experiment. Let's see what we can come up with. If we were to come up with a list of guitar players based on the premise of this documentary, who would we come up with?

I'm thinking:

Jimmy Page

Eddie Van Halen

Slash

All three are actual guitar heroes. All three had a major impact on rock music. There are many others, but I'll start off with this list.
    I resurrected this thread because someone made a thread on another site addressing this. They only wanted to replace The Edge and leave that Jack White Fuck-er.

Mistake.... My recommendation would be:

Page
    Gilmour (Prince 1st choice)
    EVH
    "The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 21,649 Times in 10,823 Posts

Premium Member

Everyone always assumes that Ed would agree to do it if asked, and then by extension be any good in it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1,799 Times in 838 Posts

Premium Member

Why wouldn't Ed be any good in it? He was fine talking at the Smithsonian thing a few years back.

I doubt he would do one too, but if they had Clapton and some one else of that ilk, he might. Who would of thought he would do the Smithsonian thing at all.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four records
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

08.13.18 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 620 Times in 392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Why wouldn't Ed be any good in it? He was fine talking at the Smithsonian thing a few years back.

I doubt he would do one too, but if they had Clapton and some one else of that ilk, he might. Who would of thought he would do the Smithsonian thing at all.
    Dutchie, you just nailed it!

Since they were going for that generational thing;

The sequel-"It might get even louder", featuring Clapton, Edward, and I don't know, maybe Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

I'm sure Ed did the Smithsonian interview because he knows the historical importance of it.
    Hollywood movies are a different story.
    When is the last time you drove two nails in a log, nailed a pick-up on it, and strung it up, LOL!
    (That part kills me)
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 12:31 PM
    Liked 3,607 Times in 1,401 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Going with that generational theme, Clapton, Eddie, and John Mayer would be great. Mayer is a huge fan of both Clapton and Ed, but has paved his own way as well. Mayer would also be a great mediator between the two and would probe interesting conversation from Eric and Ed.

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 1,676 Times in 1,020 Posts

Clapton 60's
    Townsend 70's
    Eddie 80's
    "The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Leave Townsend out and put Page back in. That guy's cheese fell off his cracker.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 12:31 PM
    Liked 3,607 Times in 1,401 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You gotta have somebody iconic from this generation of axe-slingers too. Pickin's are slim, but they're out there. John Mayer, Gary Clarke Jr., John Frusciante, heck you can even go left field outside of the blues/rock genres with somebody like Brad Paisley. Slash could be another option, but slightly overlaps with Eddie's generation.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    Clapton 60's
    Townsend 70's
    Eddie 80's
    I'd prefer Clapton, Gilmour & Van Halen...

Never been a big fan of Townsend.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Last Online

04.28.18 @ 11:00 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

First off Pete Townsend should have a bullet put in his head,i have kids sorry if i offend,anyway
    RANDY RHOADS
    Gary Richrath
    Jimmy Page
    Ed
    Prince
    Jimi
    Gary Rossington
    It should be influential not greastest.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Kind of hard to have Randy Rhoads, Prince and Jimi Hendrix in a current documentary, not trying to be a dick, just saying.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by src View Post
    First off Pete Townsend should have a bullet put in his head,i have kids sorry if i offend,anyway
    RANDY RHOADS
    Gary Richrath
    Jimmy Page
    Ed
    Prince
    Jimi
    Gary Rossington
    It should be influential not greastest.
    Sorry to break the news to you but a couple of those guys aren't with us anymore... Kind of tough to get them...