Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Default "It Might Get Loud" WTF?????

Okay, someone name for me the greatest axemen of the last 3 generations.
    Steve Vai? no
    Joe Satriani? no
    Slash? no
    Zakk? no
    Clapton? no
    Santana? no
    Brian May? no
    Van Halen? Nope.

So who are the most influential guitarist of the last 3 generations?

Jimmy Page(no arguement from me)
    The Edge(????????)
    and Jack White.(huh?)

Okay, The Edge and Jack White have their own style, and could be considered innovative in their approach to the instrument, but gutiar gods?

I just watched an interview on CNN a couple days ago with Davis Guggenheim(Director) who constantly referred to those three as just that. In other interviews, he stated that those three were his FIRST CHOICE for the documentary "It Might Get Loud".

This is supposed to be a documentary about 3 different generations of "axemen", and their approaches to the guitar. He kept referring to them all as guitar gods, which made me want to puke.

There are so many other actual guitar players out there with superior talent, and recognition for being guitar players, I don't know how he could have thrown these three together with a straight face.

Here's an interesting experiment. Let's see what we can come up with. If we were to come up with a list of guitar players based on the premise of this documentary, who would we come up with?

I'm thinking:

Jimmy Page

Eddie Van Halen

Slash

All three are actual guitar heroes. All three had a major impact on rock music. There are many others, but I'll start off with this list.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking forward to seeing this and I thought they were good choices.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I have no problem with Page or even the Edge but Jack White nope. Tom Morello would have been a better choice considering being one of the founders of rock rap fusion. White hasn't changed the way people play guitar. Page and The Edge did.

Personally I would have included many more people. Maybe two people from each decade.

Eddie should have been on the list since from 78 up until about 88, he was the guy.

I would love to hear an interview between Tom and Eddie since I find similarity between how they approach the guitar.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing this and I thought they were good choices.
    It's not that The Edge and Jack White suck, it's just the way that they kept referring to them in the interview. It was like these guys were guitar heroes. With all due respect to their style, playing and creativity, they are not guitar gods.

When you hear a U2 song, I don't think anyone is blown away by the guitar playing. Same with the White Stripes. John Mayer qualifies as more of a guitar god than those two.

I think the film will be entertaining, but to put The Edge and Jack White in the same category as Jimmy Page is laughable.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya know-
    While I respect these three musicians, I, too, have to ask...WHY aren't there more people being interviewed? Maybe there are? I'd love to see someone do a REAL movie about the electric guitar, and have SEVERAL interviews with people we WANT to hear from (not that I'm not interested in seeing what Page, Edge, and White have to say)...I personally feel that the type of interview I just mentioned is LONG overdue. I'd love to see a hodge-podge of guitarists talking to each other, discussing their love of the guitar, sharing thoughts, asking questions, talking about experiences. Imagine, for example, Carlos Santana talking to Satch...as suggested (and I, too would LOVE to hear this) EVH talking guitar with Tom Morello...throw in some odd ball choices though...Chuck Berry talking to maybe Kirk Hamett? Jeez, who else? I could go on and on. I'm sure someone is going to diss this, oh well. While I'm intrigued by "It Might Get Loud," I really think that it might have been far easier (to load the movie with other guitarists) and MUCH more interesting to see what I described...
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Morello would have been a good choice but Page, The Edge and White, in their respective eras and genres are three of the most significant and iconic players. As far as "chops" go, none of them can do what so some of the "heroes" and "gods" we could rattle off but chops aren't the end all be all...at least not for me.

I don't care for the White Stripes but the guy has monster tone, a very very recognizable and unique approach to the instrument and along with Omar and Morello, White is on the top of the list for impactful important guitar players of this era.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmmm... to be totally honest, and I know I'll take heat for this, I was really only looking forward to seeing Jack White on this documentary. Jimmy Page is OK to me, but not awe inspiring or anything. I couldn't care less about the Edge's playing, even though he seems like a cool guy and he knows what he's doing gear wise. Jack White is definitely NOT a guitar hero... but is an interesting song writer, guitar player, and experimenter.

Given the opinions of those making it, this documentary sounds like it should have been featuring Jimmy Hendrix, Jerry Garcia (if they were still around), and then throw in Edge or Jack White as an afterthought. This thing seems to be made by the same dudes who came up with the Rolling Stone's 100 greatest guitar players of all time" list....

You know, the ones who put Kirk Hammet and Kurt Cobain at 11th and 12th place, EVH at 70, and SRV at a mere 7th place....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Personally I would have included many more people. Maybe two people from each decade.
    If you could get them, sure. Personally I think it's a pretty diverse trio, which is the whole point of the doc, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this. As for White, I'm not a fan but I think the guy definitely has his own style and will have an influence on future generations.

"Guitar Gods" come in many different forms and it's all about who inspires you and how. B.B. King doesn't play chords at all, but it's hard to argue that he's not a guitar god. On the other hand, Keith Richards plays mostly chords - albeit, with lots of inversions and melody lines thrown in - and you'd also have to put him in the category.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Jimmy Page...I get that choice & I even get Jack White (because of the Blues), but the Edge?.....sorry.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take away all the effect in The Edge's playing and you're left with...well, not much.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Take away all the effect in The Edge's playing and you're left with...well, not much.
    You're 100% wrong IMO. But your free to think that.

He still has to come up with the phrases and the timing of everything.

That's like saying without the wah pedal Hendrix was NOTHING.

Ughhhhh........

NO!
    Last edited by MF5150; 09.09.09 at 03:33 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    You're 100% wrong. But your free to think that.

Ughhhhh........

NO!
    He's had some beautiful sounds too. I know Eno and Lanois have alot to do with it, but he has a nice style. Guitar hero. No. Good guitar player? Not for everyone, but I've got no beef with him. (well except for "Numb".)
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ughhhhh........

NO!
    uh!...No YOU are wrong!...seriously dude, you can't compare Hendrix's sound and play style to The Edge's ALL THE TIME FX's stuff. but you're from to think that.....NO!.....realy...

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got no beef with The Edges and his playing or U2's style, but to include him in the same house has Page!....huhhh...not in my life basicaly

Ughhhhh........

NO!
    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    He's had some beautiful sounds too. I know Eno and Lanois have alot to do with it, but he has a nice style. Guitar hero. No. Good guitar player? Not for everyone, but I've got no beef with him. (well except for "Numb".)

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    I got no beef with The Edges and his playing or U2's style, but to include him in the same house has Page!....huhhh...not in my life basicaly
    By putting him in a movie with Page doesn't mean they are comparing the TWO. I think even THe Edge and Jack White know that there are FAR better guitar players out there than them.

They just picked Page, White and the Edge. 3 TOTALLY different guitar players. Each with their own distinct sound.

I highly doubt the guys making this movie went: "Hmmmmm.....We got Jimmy....now who should we get?......Eddie van Halen?....Nah.....Joe Satriani?....Nah.....Jeff Beck?....Nah, not good enough.....Jack White?.....FUCK YEAH....Jack is 100% better than ALL THOSE GUYS!!!

Sorry, that's not how it went down. At least I don't think so.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel