Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Opinions on the Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122 Combo Amp?

Anybody got opinions on the above? I know a place that has 2 used ones. They are high. I am wanting to get back to a tube amp with warmth.

Looking for any feedback. I've heard people either love these (sound quality, flexibility, etc.) and I heard people hate these (reliability, in the shop for months on end).

Also, any alternatives to this style of amp I'd like to hear from you on, as well.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Coke

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1 View Post
    Anybody got opinions on the above? I know a place that has 2 used ones. They are high. I am wanting to get back to a tube amp with warmth.

Looking for any feedback. I've heard people either love these (sound quality, flexibility, etc.) and I heard people hate these (reliability, in the shop for months on end).

Also, any alternatives to this style of amp I'd like to hear from you on, as well.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Coke
    I owned one for 2 years..and could never get something good comming out of it, it does'nt realy have a "soul" has an amp to me. so got rid of it after a while basicaly. it's not the most reliable Marshall around, but mine never broke or anything. i found it to expensive for it's true value. you'll get a better tone i find with a JCM 900 depending of the tone you're looking for.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have one and it is a good amp. I bought mine used and the speakers were replaced, so it has a Vintage 30 and a G12T-75. The sound through the combo is okay, but it has a harsh brittle distortion with the gain channels, almost as if the speakers are ripped. This may be a characteristic of the speakers, a defect in the speakers, or possibly a characteristic of the open-back combo style.

I didn't really notice it too much at first without a frame of reference for comparison. However, I recently hooked it up to a Peavey 4x12 cab that has 4 Greenbacks in it, disabling the internal speakers of the amp. The sound smoothed right out. We A/B'd it back and forth and the difference was immediately noticeable. The Greenbacks are less efficient, so they are quieter, but we made sure to match the levels when doing the listening tests. The harshness is gone and I'm able to drive the amp a bit harder, which makes the distortion smooth and creamy. It's a very nice classic Marshall distortion tone. The sound is essentially identical to that of a DSL50 head through the same Peavey Greenback cab. I'm very happy with it now.

I primarily use the crunch channel with the gain between 6 and 10. That setting, along with the volume control on my Les Paul, gives me a lot of tonal range, from a dirty clean to a VH high gain lead sound.

I hope that was helpful.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the same setup, except I replaced the preamp tubes with NOS stuff. That mod along with 4x12 greenbacks is great as far as the amp goes. it lacks headroom but it's fine for my house and actually gives you a lot more to work with. i get to drive the amp a bit harder which gives a lot of punch that the combo couldn't. That lack of crunch was what prompted me to get the cabinet.
    Reliability is fine for me as well and it's very versatile.

The only thing I would bag on is the footswitch. pretty noisy when you change channels. that's about it.
    Custom guitars and high end point to point handwired 68 Marshall SuperLeads

www.holbrooktone.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/holbrooktone

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, from listening to you guys, it sounds like if this thing is half-gutted, it's a solid amp. Am I getting that right?

I can't tell if that's really where I'm wanting to go (making 60 mods). But then again, for a good tone, what choice do I have?

Thanks for all of your input.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

depends on the sound you want. it's versatile enough to tweak as needed. you can mess around with tubes which is relatively cheap to do. it's got a nice clean channel. I don't use the crunch channel much but some people do. nice effects loop. foot switch if you want. good reverb, presence, and gain for all kinds of music.
    I have not had a reliability issue. 60 watts is fine for home use and is still enough to drive a cabinet if you get one down the road.
    Custom guitars and high end point to point handwired 68 Marshall SuperLeads

www.holbrooktone.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/holbrooktone