Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Which pot

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Which pot

I think i need a new vol pot for my wolfgang spl Its gotten scratchy & the cleaner spray is only helping for a short while. Which is the best one to get.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Acapulco Gold will get you pretty f-ed up....My bad. Wrong message board. Well, why not see if you can find one of the Bourns pots that are on the new EVH Wolfgangs:

http://www.bourns.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.18.14 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, looks like Allparts sells Bourns. What's stock in a Peavey Wolfgang? CTS? Alpha?

I like DiMarzios; nice, smooth travel. Easy to solder to the casing, too.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I prefer CTS pots. Alpha pots are good too.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've wanted to start a thread on pots for a while. I've been experimenting with many brands and types with my custom guitars. The store I teach at buys bulk packs of the "modern" AllParts pots, but those damn things are so stiff it's ridiculous. I use my volume knob a LOT, and I want the damn things to move fast and consistently.

That being said, I like the vintage style CTS pots available from AllParts. I also have had good experiences with Alpha. When I first read about the low-friction Bourns pots in the new Wolfgang, I became curious; however, the only place I could actually find 500K Bourns pots was a store on eBay, and now they aren't even carrying them. I bought four and have installed three of them thus far--AWESOME! Highly functional, and so fast you have to be careful not to bump them while you're playing. Anyone have any idea where else to get 500K and 250K Bourns split-shaft pots?

I've never ID-ed the pots in the Peavey Wolfgang. They're vintage style, but don't appear to be CTS. Anyone know?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i've always like cts pots i recently tried a dimarzio and while i must admitt the preformance was probably better than the cts its little too 'loose' for my playing style, i like my pots to be quite stiff so i don't knock them when im playing, even though i do use them a lot (i dont like switching channels).

on a side note, the u.k. mag 'guitarist' has just reviewed the new wolf and in their spec list they state that the new wolf has bourn 250k pots is this correct or is it a typo i always thought 500k was optimal for buckers.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    on a side note, the u.k. mag 'guitarist' has just reviewed the new wolf and in their spec list they state that the new wolf has bourn 250k pots is this correct or is it a typo i always thought 500k was optimal for buckers.
    500K volume pot, 250K tone pot.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    500K volume pot, 250K tone pot.
    aaaaaah, that would make a little more sense, they listed them both as 250k, typo i guess. thanks Andrew.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've wanted to start a thread on pots for a while. I've been experimenting with many brands and types with my custom guitars. The store I teach at buys bulk packs of the "modern" AllParts pots, but those damn things are so stiff it's ridiculous. I use my volume knob a LOT, and I want the damn things to move fast and consistently.

That being said, I like the vintage style CTS pots available from AllParts. I also have had good experiences with Alpha. When I first read about the low-friction Bourns pots in the new Wolfgang, I became curious; however, the only place I could actually find 500K Bourns pots was a store on eBay, and now they aren't even carrying them. I bought four and have installed three of them thus far--AWESOME! Highly functional, and so fast you have to be careful not to bump them while you're playing. Anyone have any idea where else to get 500K and 250K Bourns split-shaft pots?

I've never ID-ed the pots in the Peavey Wolfgang. They're vintage style, but don't appear to be CTS. Anyone know?
    there's some bourn's on the bay now

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I've wanted to start a thread on pots for a while. I've been experimenting with many brands and types with my custom guitars.
    Some of the best music was created this way

but anyway, I haven't played my wolfgang for a couple months because the pot is basically toast. Not that it's bad to make the ebmm the main guitar, but I still need my second guitar. Thanks for all the info on pots! I've been researching how to change them out, doesn't look too difficult.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

"To not be heard is to not exist"

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Speaking of cleaning pots:

I'm running out of cleaner spray. I've always used "Color TV Tuner Cleaner" which I bought at Radio Shack. There aren't any more Radio Shacks around here. Any suggestions on what I should try instead?

Don't read this.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    I saw that too and was wondering if it was a screw up.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Webbed1 View Post
    but anyway, I haven't played my wolfgang for a couple months because the pot is basically toast. Not that it's bad to make the ebmm the main guitar, but I still need my second guitar. Thanks for all the info on pots! I've been researching how to change them out, doesn't look too difficult.
    Before you install the new pot, verify that the shaft is tall enough to fit through the hole and be screwed down tight. (Lots of jokes to be made with that last sentence.) And when you're actually doing the soldering, be sure to check in here if you need any tips. Soldering is a relatively easy thing to do, but it's messy and frustrating if you're a newbie at it.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.07.09 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default CTS

Have had great success with CTS pots(kinda new with EVH style builds but have been assembling and modding vintage reissue stuff for awhile)also I'm a fan of the "superpots"available from RSguitarworks,I have been using them for awhile for volume(CTS for tone control) and they work great,avail in 250k,300k,500k short,long and split shaft design
    as for cleaner any electrical contact cleaner will work but be carefull some leave residue,or a "lube"which will cause dust to collect,you want a cleaner that will fully evaporate,also compressed air works great
    Last edited by i killed frankenstraat; 09.07.09 at 01:18 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Speaking of cleaning pots:

I'm running out of cleaner spray. I've always used "Color TV Tuner Cleaner" which I bought at Radio Shack. There aren't any more Radio Shacks around here. Any suggestions on what I should try instead?
    CRC Electrical cleaner. You can pick it up at Autozone. I recently did my entire 16 channel Richmond recording console with the stuff. My electronics tech turned me on to it. You have to be careful with some of these products. They can actually melt some of the little plastic or nylon bushings/seals that are in some pots or sliders, but this stuff is great. It's not destructive. Just cleans out all the muck and helps inhibit the reformation of deposits on the contacts again. Good stuff! At most and this is rare, and only if you overdo it with any electrical cleaner, but your pots can feel a little too "dry" if you know what I mean. In this case, head down to your music shop, and pick up a tube of Faderlube. Just a drop in the pot, either in the rear knockout, or the opening near the terminals, and it will feel as good as new.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.