Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

ELF - 2 radio towers in Washington state toppled

EVERETT, Wash. — Two radio station towers were toppled early Friday, and the station's manager said an ecoterrorist group's initials were left at the scene. An e-mail to a newspaper said the Earth Liberation Front was responsible.

A sign bearing the letters ELF was found near the towers, said Andy Skotdal, general manager of KRKO Radio in Everett, about 25 miles north of Seattle. The group is a loose collection of radical environmentalists that has claimed responsibility for dozens of attacks since the 1990s.

The towers were torn down because of health and environmental concerns, according to an e-mail to The Herald of Everett from the North American ELF Press Office, which has represented the shadowy group in the past.

"We have to weigh our priorities, and the local ecosystem in Everett, along with the local residents, do not need additional sports news radio station towers that come at the expense of reduced property values and harmful radio waves," ELF press office spokesman Jason Crawford said in an e-mail.

The group's Web site featured a picture of one of the towers lying on its site with the caption "Earth Liberation Front Topples Two Radio Station Towers in Snohomish County, WA," followed by the words "Details coming soon."

A call to ELF press office for comment Friday morning was not immediately returned.

Snohomish County sheriff's office spokeswoman Rebecca Hover wouldn't confirm that a sign was found.

A neighbor told a 911 operator that someone seemed to attacking the towers with a bulldozer at about 3:30 a.m., Hover told The Herald. A 349-foot tower and a smaller tower were found on the ground with heavy construction equipment nearby, but deputies and a tracking dog didn't find any suspects, Hover said.

Deputies found other, unspecified evidence at the scene, she said.

The FBI has taken over the lead of the investigation, Hover said in a statement.

The family-owned station remained on the air Friday morning after shifting to other transmission equipment.

KRKO's plans to increase its transmission capacity have been embroiled for more than a decade in appeals and litigation over issues ranging from trumpeter swan habitat to potential health hazards to humans.

The addition to the station's existing towers in the town of Snohomish, east of Everett, were completed in February, allowing KRKO to boost its AM signal to where it could compete with larger broadcasters in the Seattle-Tacoma area. Neighbors have since complained of interference from radio signals on home telephone and intercom lines.

An ELF sign was left on March 3, 2008, at the scene of fires set at a number of houses in a Street of Dreams development at Echo Lake, north of Seattle. Street of Dreams is an annual showcase of new luxury homes in the Seattle area.

ELF also has claimed responsibility for other arsons in the region, including a fire that destroyed the Center for Urban Horticulture at the University of Washington in Seattle in 2001.

The Skotdal family also plans to build two 199-foot towers at the same site for a new 5,000-watt AM station that would cover Snohomish County on another frequency.

A hearing examiner denied a permit for the towers, based on claims that radio signals could be dangerous to humans. But the council voted to reverse the finding, saying it was based on shaky scientific evidence.

A King County judge upheld the council's decision on Aug. 14.

"When all legal channels of opposition have been exhausted, concerned citizens have to take action into their own hands to protect life and the planet," Crawford said in the e-mail.

Skotdal has said he hopes to get the new signal on the air by the end of the year.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wow!

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

What's "radio?"

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Excellent. Could've been anybody though, there have been incidents in the past of a disgruntled neighbor/local resident lashing out and then attributing it to a known radical group.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    Excellent. Could've been anybody though, there have been incidents in the past of a disgruntled neighbor/local resident lashing out and then attributing it to a known radical group.

Did you just type Excellent? Are you fucking shitting me?

So you really are one of those radical types that this sort of thing doesn't bother you in the least. I hope there wasn't any sort of birds and what not, fucked up by this. Hell dude, I thought you like the outdoors. Taking pictures and shit? Didn't know you had this hidden "fuck shit up" attitude in you. When you fuckers aren't jackin' up towers and shit, do ya'll at least get a tan? And NOT date beasts. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You really think I'd be defending it if I were the one who did it? That would be pretty fucking stupid.

And yes, I did type excellent. Radio towers kill millions of birds and the waves pulsing out of those things make people in the area sick. Kids have a higher incidence of brain cancer and leukemia living close to them.

A study from the American Journal of Epidemiology, showing how children living within 2 kilometers of radio towers are 2.15 times as likely to get leukemia as those living more than 20 km from them:

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/kwm083v1

So are you really one of those radical types that childhood cancer doesn't bother you in the least?

I don't countenance the death of innocents, no matter what the cause--even a cause as noble as economics.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Jan...once again, you're out there.

The last radio station I worked for had their AM & FM towers right out back of the radio station. Literally less than 300 feet from the studio I sat in.

It's also located in a neighborhood. There have been absolutely NO reports of the signals harming anyone there. If there had been, I'm sure they would've been ordered to move the towers.

If residents continue to buuild in area that are zoned for commercial purposes, they're going to run the risk of harming themselves. Radio tower construction is heavily regulated. You can't just plop abn anttena where you feel like. It has to be zoned and cleared by local, county, state and federal compliance issues.

If they ever catch the perps that did it, they're facing some serious federal time for it.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post
    Did you just type Excellent? Are you fucking shitting me?

So you really are one of those radical types that this sort of thing doesn't bother you in the least. I hope there wasn't any sort of birds and what not, fucked up by this. Hell dude, I thought you like the outdoors. Taking pictures and shit? Didn't know you had this hidden "fuck shit up" attitude in you. When you fuckers aren't jackin' up towers and shit, do ya'll at least get a tan? And NOT date beasts. Out.
    Dan Track, remind to never piss you off!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

You have to remember there are two angry mobs in the USA but only one seems to advocate violence.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post

The last radio station I worked for had their AM & FM towers right out back of the radio station. Literally less than 300 feet from the studio I sat in.

It's also located in a neighborhood. There have been absolutely NO reports of the signals harming anyone there. If there had been, I'm sure they would've been ordered to move the towers.

If residents continue to buuild in area that are zoned for commercial purposes, they're going to run the risk of harming themselves. Radio tower construction is heavily regulated. You can't just plop abn anttena where you feel like. It has to be zoned and cleared by local, county, state and federal compliance issues.

If they ever catch the perps that did it, they're facing some serious federal time for it.
    yep. there is still a radio station in the neighbourhood i grew up in...giant towers right there in a field that leads into the backyards of dozens of homes and there are probably over a 1000 homes and close to a dozen schools within a 2 km radius. Never once did we hear anything about the towers causing leukemia and brain cancer.

Then again, we were in the shadows of chemical plants and oil refineries so perhaps it was simply a matter of having bigger issues at hand.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post

I want to add to this.

When the radio station was built, it was literally a stand alone farm house. Matter of factly, one of the things we'd say, when giving the time & temp was "it's 75 & sunny at the Old Radio Farm House..."

Anyway...

Over time, people started buying property and building homes there. They complained about the FAA becons and were, basically, told to pound sand by the FCC. The station was there first.

If this station had permits to build there before the urban sprawl started, that's tough shit for the residents. They should've done better research.
    Last edited by RRMB; 09.05.09 at 10:55 AM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You can't seriously be suggesting that all--or even most--of the hundreds of thousands or radio, cell phone, and electrical towers were there before anybody lived near them. They were all built in the 40s or something? Right. This knowledge isn't exactly well known. As is evidenced by the reaction here when I provided a study of nearly 2,000 individuals. Total denial. And that's just one study; there are lots of them. You can't really compare your limited sphere of local demographics to comprehensive studies. Then again, keep your head in the sand--maybe it'll lower your chance of getting brain cancer.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

You can't seriously be suggesting that all--or even most--of the hundreds of thousands or radio, cell phone, and electrical towers were there before anybody lived near them. They were all built in the 40s or something? Right. This knowledge isn't exactly well known. As is evidenced by the reaction here when I provided a study of nearly 2,000 individuals. Total denial. And that's just one study; there are lots of them. You can't really compare your limited sphere of local demographics to comprehensive studies. Then again, keep your head in the sand--maybe it'll lower your chance of getting brain cancer.
    Most radio towers were built before urban sprawl jan. Not all, most.

I'm not denying there may be a link. In 15 years of radio, I was near our towers in 3 stations I worked at. No ill/adverse issues for me. Each of the stations, and their towers, were in place before the houses went up around them.

Here, in the midwest, most of your towers were built on farmland, rented from farmers. Or on private land, in barren fields. Eventually most of them sold their lands, that he towers were on, to the stations. The rest to developers. They built housing developments, strip malls, etc.

In the west, they built them on higher elevations. This way they didn't need 50-100kwatt stations. They could use lower power, yet still reach the entire area. Eventually, the lands around the towers, again, were sold to developers.

Cell towers, for the most part, are built in remote areas. The ones that are placed in urban areas, are put on building roofs, water towers, etc. They are done so due to a leasing agreement with building owner, or the city that owns the facilities.

When the towers get toppled, WE'RE the ones who pay the price. It jacks up insurance rates, etc. Go ahead...keep your head in the sand. We're the ones that get screwed.
    Last edited by RRMB; 09.05.09 at 02:10 PM.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

You really think I'd be defending it if I were the one who did it? That would be pretty fucking stupid.

And yes, I did type excellent. Radio towers kill millions of birds and the waves pulsing out of those things make people in the area sick. Kids have a higher incidence of brain cancer and leukemia living close to them.

A study from the American Journal of Epidemiology, showing how children living within 2 kilometers of radio towers are 2.15 times as likely to get leukemia as those living more than 20 km from them:

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/kwm083v1

So are you really one of those radical types that childhood cancer doesn't bother you in the least?

I don't countenance the death of innocents, no matter what the cause--even a cause as noble as economics.

Just to be fair for all to see here. I tried to understand that link you put up. It's a tough read with all the fuckin extra numbers and shit, and all the references and what not. I saw graphs and flow charts and I backed the fuck out. I saw Korea etc. too many times. Anyway, I hope your runnin buddies stop blowing up radio towers. Even if they think it does the world good.

And no, I'm not a big fan of childhood cancer. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:02 AM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

It would be great if Spotted Owls liked to eat hippies.

So using the justification of the destruction of private property, would it be ok for a group of concerned citizens to burn down a drug dealer house? I mean they are killing people with selling drugs so they ought to be able to go into a neighborhood, and raze a few houses without no judge or jury.

Maybe we just raze entire neighborhoods that have a high murder rate. Probably will save some lives.