Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Guitar vs Bass

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.21.09 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Guitar vs Bass

I started guitar lessons this week. Donít know if Iím going to stick with guitar, though, I may play bass instead. I donít know if my fingers are too big or what, but I canít get them to bend in a way (bend at the top part of the finger after the last knuckle) that is that allows me to just hit 1 string. I usually end up accidentally pressing on the string beneath the one Iím trying to hit. That may come with practice, or I might just play bass cause thereís less string and more room in between strings. Thoughts?

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definitely a practice thing - no question. When I started playing, I thought there was no way each finger would be limited to one string, not to mention the correct string. But keep practicing and all of a sudden you'll just get it. Your brain and fingers need a chance to learn to communicate in a new way. Pursue the bass if it's something you want, not as a cop-out or a fall-back option.

Kudos on picking up the guitar, though - or bass, whichever you choose.
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beachboydw View Post
    I started guitar lessons this week. Don’t know if I’m going to stick with guitar, though, I may play bass instead. I don’t know if my fingers are too big or what, but I can’t get them to bend in a way (bend at the top part of the finger after the last knuckle) that is that allows me to just hit 1 string. I usually end up accidentally pressing on the string beneath the one I’m trying to hit. That may come with practice, or I might just play bass cause there’s less string and more room in between strings. Thoughts?
    It will come with time. As far as your hands being big, take a look at Stevie Ray's hands. They were huge! It just takes time for the muscles to develop. There are some tools you can try. There's one called the Fretter, or Fretmaster or something. It's a gimmicky looking device you put in the palm of your hand, and it has four spring loaded keys that you depress in reps. It actually works very well.

Here's a pic of a similar one so you get the idea, but there are better ones out there.

Bass is a great instrument though. I play alot of bass. I actually think it's helped my songwriting, cause' it makes you think in a different way. Just go with your heart.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.21.09 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the advice. I'm 33 yrs old and seriously pursuing guitar for the first time in my life! Hey better late than never, right?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,188 Times in 8,988 Posts

This is just my experience, so please take it as additional information and not advice.

I sing in a band, and we always had a hard time keeping a bass player.

I finally got sick of it and started playing bass myself. The great thing about bass in my opinion is that there are a lot of songs that if are already half way inclined musically, you can be playing all the way through very quickly.

I have read it many times and I will post it here, bass is easy to learn and difficult to master, and I agree with it. Many songs on bass are nothing more than running eighth notes, and chords are just one finger! Also, I am just a big guy, 6'3", so the bass just seems to feel right to me.

I actually write my songs on my bass now a lot of the time, in which I used to write on the keyboard exclusively.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!