Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default Should Marijuana be legal

I have thought about making this post for a few weeks but felt uneasy about it for many reasons. Forgive me if I ramble and jump around.

Let me start by saying I used to smoke pot, loved being stoned. I have not smoked weed in about 17 years.

Should Marijuana be legal?

I have been doing a lot of reading about this in the past few weeks. I have learned so much that it is kind of overwhelming. California is looking into it, I also head that Massachusetts may add it to the ballot. When I heard that Ca was thinking about it I started to ask questions and do some reading on many different types of websites. Some of these website are based on the marijuana culture others are very main stream - CNN, Fox News etc etc

I dont think we will see it in the next year but it would not surprise me if pot was legal and controlled by the states and taxed within 5 years.

Prohibition of Marijuana is joke, its grown in basements, closets, warehouses etc and shipped all over the country. You can buy seeds direct from Amsterdam right over the internet and start a mini farm in your basement.

I recently read an article that said 51% of Americans feel Alcohol is more dangerous than Marijuana. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...than_marijuana

I am by no means an expert on the subject of Marijuana. I dont claim to know all of the dangers or health risks.

IMHO I think its time to legalize it. Control it just like Alcohol, tax the crap out of it, put restrictions on it. Sell it in liquor stores, put a restriction on how much you can have on you. A type of open container law. You will need to be 21 to purchase it and have it on you.

If you wish to grow it in your yard or home for personal use that is fine but you are not allowed to have a farm of it without a license. Licenses would not be handed out to every idiot that wants to grow weed and sell it.

British Columbia weed trade is apparently worth 6 billion. They are saying it could bring in roughly 1.4 billion in tax revenue to CA. Imagine the money saved by not chasing down pot dealers? Let the DEA deal with meth labs and H dealers.

I have asked some close friends and family if they still get high. Some do some dont. These are all very smt susuccessful people with very normal lives. One of my step brothers smokes on a nightly basis. He is one of the brightest people I know, he is an asset manager for 2 mortgage firms and is partner in a development firm. He recently told me that he takes a bong hit every night and is pretty much stoned all weekend.

One of my best friends still smokes weed, not every night but a few times a week. He is a very successful guy, electrician by trade but runs the field operations for a company that installs control systems in huge packaging plants all over the world. I would not want his job, he told me that he gets so stressed from work that weed helps him to relax and take a mental vacation without the hangover.

I spoke with another best friend and asked him the same question. He said no, that when his daughter was born they pretty much stopped smoking. He said they just dont keep it around the house but if someone was to offer him a hit while fishing or skiing her would smoke some, his wife said the same thing. I can respect this view, I would not want it around my child either.

As we get into this more I am going to ask that we keep this civil. I would really like to hear both sides.

I will post more links to stuff as we go.
    Here is one I recommend reading, yes it is pro legalization. http://norml.org/
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Yes, it should. I can't even comprehend the argument for keeping it illegal.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Yes, it should. I can't even comprehend the argument for keeping it illegal.
    Do you smoke it?
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    Do you smoke it?
    Better question: Do you sell it?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Better question: Do you sell it?
    I dont smoke it or sell it.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

That was my question as well. I've heard it works wonders for those of us with MS.

For medicinal purposes of course.

I'd say legalize it already.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I dont smoke it or sell it.
    Not you, I meant ask lovemachine.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Yes.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

Premium Member

I don't smoke it, nor do I sell it. I have a friend who smokes it all day and night. It makes him lazy. But it is no worse for him, or dangerous for everyone else, than alcohol is for the guy who can't go to work in the morning without his flask. America didn't fall apart after the repeal of prohibition, but the era of prohibition elevated organized crime to outrageous levels. America won't fall apart if drugs were legalized, and it would help end the organized crime that has reached outrageous levels.

It seems counter-intuitive, but America would actually be safer through drug legalization.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Marijuana is the third most popular recreational drug in America (behind only alcohol and tobacco), and has been used by nearly 100 million Americans. According to government surveys, some 25 million Americans have smoked marijuana in the past year, and more than 14 million do so regularly despite harsh laws against its use.

Marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. Around 50,000 people die each year from alcohol poisoning. Similarly, more than 400,000 deaths each year are attributed to tobacco smoking. By comparison, marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose. According to the prestigious European medical journal, The Lancet, "The smoking of cannabis, even long-term, is not harmful to health. ... It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat ... than alcohol or tobacco."
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Last Online

Premium Member

Marijuana is the third most popular recreational drug in America (behind only alcohol and tobacco), and has been used by nearly 100 million Americans. According to government surveys, some 25 million Americans have smoked marijuana in the past year, and more than 14 million do so regularly despite harsh laws against its use.

Marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. Around 50,000 people die each year from alcohol poisoning. Similarly, more than 400,000 deaths each year are attributed to tobacco smoking. By comparison, marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose. According to the prestigious European medical journal, The Lancet, "The smoking of cannabis, even long-term, is not harmful to health. ... It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat ... than alcohol or tobacco."
    My only issue is--and I am no doctor, so someone would have to explain this to me--how is inhaling smoke not dangerous?

I mean, there are health warnings in my area due to the air quality because of the fires in LA, but if I sat inside and smoked a joint or a pipe all night it'd be less damaging to my lungs?
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 09.01.09 at 04:32 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

My only issue is--and I am no doctor, so someone would have to explain this to me--how is inhaling smoke not dangerous?

I mean, there are health warnings in my area due to the air quality because of the fires in LA, but if I sat inside and smoked a joint or a pipe all night it'd be less damaging to my lungs?
    I am not a Doctor either, so I dont have any numbers for you. Does anyone know if it is worse than Cigarette? I have my doubts, mainly because pot smokers dont smoke 5 - 25 joints a day.

When I smoked I used a bong. At the most I would take 3 or 4 bong hits in a day if I was smoking that day.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Here are some interesting reports.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3382#govt_reports
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Not to mention the fact that you also 'hold it in' unlike cigs.

Your friend sounds like the stereotypical stoner. Not all folks that partake are like that. In fact when i quit before I hit the age of 30, I had long since stopped getting blazed to the point of being in a waking coma state, It's counterproductive and a waste of good herb. I believe you can only get 'so high'.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Not to mention the fact that you also 'hold it in' unlike cigs.

Your friend sounds like the stereotypical stoner. Not all folks that partake are like that. In fact when i quit before I hit the age of 30, I had long since stopped getting blazed to the point of being in a waking coma state, It's counterproductive and a waste of good herb. I believe you can only get 'so high'.
    When I asked my step brother and friend that still smoke I asked them about there smoking habits, how much do you smoke and how often. They both told me the same thing which sent me on another fact finding mission. They said that with the new pot that is grown indoors you dont need to sit and smoke and smoke, they both said one quick toke off a bong or pipe and you are set. They also both informed me about the types of weed that you can now get.

This was all very new to me. Sativa vs Indica. Both give very different feelings. Both said they prefer sativa.

The sativa high is often characterized as uplifting and energetic. The effects of a sativa marijuana are mostly cerebral. They give a feeling of optimism and well - being, as well as providing a good measure of pain relief for certain symptoms. A few pure sativas are also very high in THC content. They are known to have a quite spacey, or hallucinogenic, effect. Sativas are a good choice for daytime smoking.

The indica highs are most often described as a pleasant body buzz. Indicas are great for relaxation, stress relief, and for an overall sense of calm and serenity. Marijuana indicas are also very effective for overall body pain relief, and often used in the treatment of insomnia. They are the late - evening choice of many smokers as an all - night sleep aid. A few pure indica strains are very potent in THC, and will cause the "couchlock" effect, enabling the smoker to simply sit still and enjoy the experience of the smoke.
    ((Just My Two Cents))