Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 457 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Default The All Encompassing New Album/Tour Speculation Thread

Ok, here's the deal. This will be the thread where any and all new album talk can go. Things such as who the new producer will be? Post it here. Will there be outside writers for the albums? Post it here. Will the new album kick ass? Yup, post it here. We don't need all of these other threads going, as it clogs up main.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Good luck. The VH Rumors forum needs to re-open.
    Just go for it!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:05 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

What Album?

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW View Post
    Good luck. The VH Rumors forum needs to re-open.

I will close threads like a madman if need be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    I will close threads like a madman if need be.
    Pull the trigger!!! Lots of buttons to play with! Merge and re-merge, close and move... it's nucking futs!! duder.
    Just go for it!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

EDIT: Forget it
    Last edited by chefcraig; 08.31.09 at 09:09 PM.

Last Online

Donor

Craig, we don't need all of these threads concerning every possible minutia of what may happen in an album that at this point is still a lot of speculation. This board has never been like that. Thanks for the rolling eyes too. I know I have officially arrived as a moderator.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    EDIT: Forget it

I saw it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

The new album will be round and come in a square box.

(...ten years from now.)

Don't read this.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Huh... One person, Eddie Van Halen, has talked about recording a new album. He estimated that process would start about, oh, now-ish. So far there's been nothing said about anything being recorded--or even written, for that matter.

The "new album," huh?

I think my feelings reflect that of many VH fans out there: It would be absolutely wonderful if a new Van Halen CD turned out surprisingly good--if they captured enough of that classic VH sound and energy but still found a way to reinvent themselves a little and explore some new territory. And if there is a new album I will listen to it with heightened curiosity, indeed.

IF there is a new album.

That, inevitably, leads to the question of WHEN. And that question inspires speculation. And speculation, quite frankly, is one of my biggest pet peeves. VH and co. have quite a few hurdles to jump before the "new album" comes out. So let's not put the cart ahead of the horse, eh?

No news is no news.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:49 PM
    Liked 16,588 Times in 9,407 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Huh... One person, Eddie Van Halen, has talked about recording a new album. He estimated that process would start about, oh, now-ish. So far there's been nothing said about anything being recorded--or even written, for that matter.

The "new album," huh?

I think my feelings reflect that of many VH fans out there: It would be absolutely wonderful if a new Van Halen CD turned out surprisingly good--if they captured enough of that classic VH sound and energy but still found a way to reinvent themselves a little and explore some new territory. And if there is a new album I will listen to it with heightened curiosity, indeed.

IF there is a new album.

That, inevitably, leads to the question of WHEN. And that question inspires speculation. And speculation, quite frankly, is one of my biggest pet peeves. VH and co. have quite a few hurdles to jump before the "new album" comes out. So let's not put the cart ahead of the horse, eh?

No news is no news.
    The fountain is always clearest at its source.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:17 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    The "new album," huh?

It would be absolutely wonderful if a new Van Halen CD turned out surprisingly good--if they captured enough of that classic VH sound and energy but still found a way to reinvent themselves a little and explore some new territory.

Hey, if you buy Guitar Hero 5 you'll get all the "new" VH territory you can handle for FREE!

I PLAY the God damn instrument, and I'm even tempted...it may be the only "new content" we see for a while...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    Hey, if you buy Guitar Hero 5 you'll get all the "new" VH territory you can handle for FREE!

I PLAY the God damn instrument, and I'm even tempted...it may be the only "new content" we see for a while...
    No offense intended, hubs, but I won't touch that piece of crap video game. I do like what GH and RB have done to resurrect some awesome and classic rock music and reintroduce it to the kids. I also appreciate that they're non-violent video games. I'm not so cynical I feel they're wasting kids' time or anything like that. Yeah, it'd be cool if kids were just as inspired to play REAL instruments, but we all fucked around and wasted time when we were young. I just think it's so stupid that VH--again--shat all over their legacy with that video game. And I completely understand the business reasoning behind it. And I also understand Eddie's desire to play with his kid; I'm not one who gets down on that aspect of the "new" VH (though I am and always will be completely disgusted by the way Mike was unceremoniously dumped from the band). GHVH was yet another perfect opportunity for Van Halen to acknowledge and embrace their ENTIRE catalog and history of members--to rise above ALL the stupid crap from over the years. How about bringing in Mike and Sammy to contribute to the development of the game? How about mixing some live recordings from the '07/'08 tour to play to? How about making Wolf a character to "unlock" or be a part of said live tracks? There could have been a lot of creative ways to include everyone and honor their past and present. But, again, VH failed in this department. They are never inclusive and always excluding.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    Craig, we don't need all of these threads concerning every possible minutia of what may happen in an album that at this point is still a lot of speculation. This board has never been like that. Thanks for the rolling eyes too. I know I have officially arrived as a moderator.
    Good. Now that you are used to it, have one of these as well.

I was thinking about the next VH album the other day. Not the usual "who will produce it, what will it sound like" nonsense, but how it will be perceived. No, not by sales, but by critical reaction amongst the hard core fans. Considering how fractured the fan base of this band already is (face it, no two people can agree on any aspect of this band's career, at any point), I figured it would fall into four categories.

1. Enthusiastic ("It's the second coming!")
    2. Pleased, but not blown away ("It's good, I can live with it.")
    3. Disappointed (Wow, this could have been a lot better.")
    4. Very disappointed ("I knew it would suck, bring back Mike Anthony!")

Remember when that Metallica album showed up last year? The varied responses were pretty much the same as above. Personally, I still haven't been able to decide if the band is back after a lengthy hiatus, if they are going through the motions by cannibalizing their best work and regurgitating them, or it they are merely parodying themselves. And the truth is, we probably will not know the real truth for years, as there is no perspective available yet.

Look, art is a very personal, subjective thing, and it is very closely tied to the era it was created in. How many times has an artist's work initially fallen flat upon release, but was heralded a few years later? The Zeppelin boxed set is a good reference point. This is a band who's work was initially slammed for being unsubtle, repetitious and bombastic, yet when it was reintroduced over a decade later, the very same critics lauded these complaints as virtues.

Furthermore, the internet has changed how we as patrons grasp art. I guarantee you, as I write this, there is some ersatz "critic" sitting in a movie theater, twittering away his insights to a film he hasn't even finished watching. This "review" is posted and then used as a guidepost for people to make their decisions about what is a valid purchase. To prove how short-sighted this is, I'll refer to the case of a kid at this very site, regarding a Chickenfoot show. For weeks, this fellow bitched about the set list (which he would not even have a mere five years ago), the cost of the tickets, so on and so forth. Well guess what? The kid went to the show, and apparently had a splendid good time. That in and of itself should tell you all you need to know about the futility of expectation.

If a new Van Halen album shows up...it will. Yet deciding it is great, passable or less than mediocre beforehand or immediately after it's (projected) immediate release is ultimately foolhardy, as the truth will only be proven by time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 283 Times in 151 Posts

Furthermore, the internet has changed how we as patrons grasp art. I guarantee you, as I write this, there is some ersatz "critic" sitting in a movie theater, twittering away his insights to a film he hasn't even finished watching. This "review" is posted and then used as a guidepost for people to make their decisions about what is a valid purchase. To prove how short-sighted this is, I'll refer to the case of a kid at this very site, regarding a Chickenfoot show. For weeks, this fellow bitched about the set list (which he would not even have a mere five years ago), the cost of the tickets, so on and so forth. Well guess what? The kid went to the show, and apparently had a splendid good time. That in and of itself should tell you all you need to know about the futility of expectation.
    Chef, I'm glad my simple opinions and speculation made such an impact on you! I'll think of you next time I have any. Fact is the internet, and to go even deeper, THIS messageboard is for exactly that. Opinions and speculation, none of them hurt anyone personally and it's fun to do it. The ticket prices I figure was a valid complaint considering tickets for every other show were at least 20 dollars cheaper than what I paid for that particular show. I'm by no means a fan of putting crazy expectations into things, but I don't think there's anything wrong with some fanboy speculation and discussion on a messageboard.

As for a new VH album, I think it's too early to even begin to theorize on what it will be like. Despite what EVH says I still have my doubts that it will even happen. I do recall an interview a few months back where he mentioned that it won't be the usual VH "hard" rock fare, in which case that's quite a gamble. Hopefully they (or should I say HE) hasn't waited 10 years to release something that the fans again don't understand (ala VH 3). Time will tell!