Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Default If and/or when...

...VH puts out a new album do you think it will be worth a shit? There last full length album back (VHIII) stunk, "It's About Time" was ok but the other two songs blew. I'm a hugh Classic VH fan and I don't care what any of you say but Eddie can't play like he used to and Dave can't sing like he used to...the two primary writers in the band!!! Mike's backing vocals WILL BE MISSED! If you haven't heard the entire Chickenfoot album listen to it and you'll see what I mean. Van Halen may be able to get away with it live but they won't be able to cover it up in the studio.

I feel like this band is turning into Metallica or AC/DC....they're so big but fans will be still pay to support them even though anything they put out sucks these days...then they turn around a charge $100 a ticket to see 'em.

Now don't motherfuck me. I'm just giving my opinion. Feel free to give the opposite.

Peace....
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 2,067 Times in 670 Posts

I think it will be amazing.
    It will surprise us.

I think it will be GREAT.

Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

I have a feeling that it's going to Kick Major Ass!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wow, 15 threads in one!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I was thinking about the next VH album the other day. Not the usual "who will produce it, what will it sound like" nonsense, but how it will be perceived. No, not by sales, but by critical reaction amongst the hard core fans. Considering how fractured the fan base of this band already is (face it, no two people can agree on any aspect of this band's career, at any point), I figured it would fall into four categories.

1. Enthusiastic ("It's the second coming!")
    2. Pleased, but not blown away ("It's good, I can live with it.")
    3. Disappointed (Wow, this could have been a lot better.")
    4. Very disappointed ("I knew it would suck, bring back Mike Anthony!")

Remember when that Metallica album showed up last year? The varied responses were pretty much the same as above. Personally, I still haven't been able to decide if the band is back after a lengthy hiatus, if they are going through the motions by cannibalizing their best work and regurgitating them, or it they are merely parodying themselves. And the truth is, we probably will not know the real truth for years, as there is no perspective available yet.

Look, art is a very personal, subjective thing, and it is very closely tied to the era it was created in. How many times has an artist's work initially fallen flat upon release, but was heralded a few years later? The Zeppelin boxed set is a good reference point. This is a band who's work was initially slammed for being unsubtle, repetitious and bombastic, yet when it was reintroduced over a decade later, the very same critics lauded these complaints as virtues.

Furthermore, the internet has changed how we as patrons grasp art. I guarantee you, as I write this, there is some ersatz "critic" sitting in a movie theater, twittering away his insights to a film he hasn't even finished watching. This "review" is posted and then used as a guidepost for people to make their decisions about what is a valid purchase. To prove how short-sighted this is, I'll refer to the case of a kid at this very site, regarding a Chickenfoot show. For weeks, this fellow bitched about the set list (which he would not even have a mere five years ago), the cost of the tickets, so on and so forth. Well guess what? The kid went to the show, and apparently had a splendid good time. That in and of itself should tell you all you need to know about the futility of expectation.

If a new Van Halen album shows up...it will. Yet deciding it is great, passable or less than mediocre beforehand or immediately after it's (projected) immediate release is ultimately foolhardy, as the truth will only be proven by time.

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

chefcraig,

How long did it take you to figure out that VHIII blew? LOL
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp72 View Post
    chefcraig,

How long did it take you to figure out that VHIII blew? LOL
    Shut up, dude!...I thought I made a good point!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

It will have 2 great tracks, 2 good tracks, 3 mediocre/forgettable tracks, and 3 crap tracks (just so that they can call it a full album).

For my money, VH should put all of their energy into writing three great songs that they can play live. After all, when they tour again, they will only play three tracks off the new album anyways.

Given the music biz today, a top-to-bottom album just isn't there.
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lmr5150 View Post

Given the music biz today, a top-to-bottom album just isn't there.
    I'm not sure I understand this statement. It's got nothing to do with the "music biz today." Van Halen used to put out great albums back when Dave and Mike were in the band together. EVERY FUCKING SONG....Even Diver Down....LOL I think most 80's rock acts have some sort of writers block these days so they put out crap. Why does it matter what year it is???

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Shut up, dude!...I thought I made a good point!
    Your favorite song was "How Many Say I" wasn't it? LOL

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I created a new thread where all of this speculation concerning a possible new album can go. Closing this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]