Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Default Kidnap victim Jaycee Dugard found 18 years later.

Wow, what a horrifying story. The more that I hear about, the more sickening it gets.

Police: Kidnap suspect fathered victim's kids
    Demian Bulwa, Jaxon Van Derbeken, Henry K. Lee,Kevin Fagan, Chronicle Staff Writers
    Friday, August 28, 2009
    More...
    (08-27) 19:56 PDT ANTIOCH -- Phillip Craig Garrido was already known as an oddball who said he could channel the voice of God through a makeshift box, but on Thursday, the eccentricity took on an aura of horror.

Eighteen years ago, authorities said, he kidnapped 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard on her way to catch a school bus in South Lake Tahoe. Ever since then, they said, he kept her prisoner in a squalid backyard compound near Antioch, raping her and fathering two daughters by her - the elder of whom is now 15.

Those girls also were housed in sheds and other outbuildings in the backyard, which had been walled off so it couldn't easily be seen by neighbors or other outsiders, authorities said.

When police found Dugard this week, she told them her name was Allissa, authorities said.

Garrido's wife knew all about what was happening, officials said. On Wednesday, Phillip Garrido, 58, and his 55-year-old wife, Nancy, were arrested.

That Dugard, now 29, was found in such living conditions was appalling, said El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar, whose agency is leading the investigation. But more important, he said, was the fact that she was found at all.

"We're very happy to be in front of you under these circumstances - Jaycee Dugard was found alive," Kollar said.

stepfather had given up

Her stepfather, Carl Probyn, who watched helplessly in 1991 as a stranger's car drove off with the girl, was thrilled to have her back.

"I gave up hope for 18 years, just went into recovery mode," Probyn said. "I thought it would be nice just to recover her and capture the people and find out why they did this.

"Now, I just won the lotto. It's just unbelievable."

Probyn, 60, who now lives in Orange, said his wife, Terry, from whom he is separated, had spoken with Dugard and reported that "she sounds normal. She told my wife she remembers everything."

Phillip Garrido is being held without bail in the El Dorado County Jail on suspicion of kidnapping, rape by force, lewd and lascivious acts with a minor, sexual penetration and conspiracy. Nancy Garrido was booked on suspicion of conspiracy and kidnapping and held on $4.2 million bail.

Dugard and her daughters, who are 11 and 15, are together in a motel in Antioch, sources said.

One of the sheds where Dugard and the girls were living could only be opened from the outside, Kollar said, and rudimentary toilets and electrical hookups were set up nearby.

"None of the children have ever been to school; they've never been to a doctor," the undersheriff said at a press conference in Placerville. "They were kept in complete isolation in this compound."

eighbors' suspicions

Neighbors in the unincorporated, semi-rural area outside Antioch where the Garridos live say they always thought he was bizarre, and even suspected something fishy was going on with the girls he called his daughters - but they thought authorities were keeping tabs on it all.

Phillip Garrido is a registered sex offender, and authorities inspected his house several times over the years but never discovered the backyard compound.

The neighbors and other acquaintances said Garrido conducted religious revivals in a tent, claimed to hear the voices of angels and God, and said he had developed a device through which he could control sound with his mind. He propounded this all in a business he called "God's Desire."

In a telephone interview from jail with Sacramento TV station KCRA, Garrido said, "In the end, this is going to be a powerful, heartwarming story."

ait till you hear'

In recent years, he said, "my life has been straightened out. Wait till you hear the story of what took place at this house. You're going to be absolutely impressed. It's a disgusting thing that took place with me at the beginning, but I turned my life completely around."

The Garridos were arrested Wednesday after Phillip Garrido came to a state parole office in Concord, accompanied by his wife, a woman - who turned out to be Dugard - and Dugard's two daughters, officials said.

Garrido was asked to come in because UC Berkeley police Officer Allison Jacobs had become suspicious after questioning him about handing out his religious materials on campus without getting clearance first, authorities said.

"Diligent questioning" and further investigation by state authorities and Concord police revealed that the woman was Dugard, state officials said.

Dugard had last been seen June 10, 1991, as she was walking to a bus stop in South Lake Tahoe. The blond, blue-eyed 11-year-old, wearing a pink top and pink pants, was going to catch the bus to her school near South Lake Tahoe.

As Carl Probyn watched from the family's driveway on a hill about two blocks away, a sedan pulled up and someone yanked the girl into the car and sped off. No trace of the car or girl was ever found.

uspect did time

Officials said Garrido served time in Nevada on kidnapping and rape convictions in the 1970s, '80s and '90s and was paroled after one stint in 1988 and another in June 1999. It was not immediately clear where Dugard may have been while Garrido was in custody.

Neighbors of the Garridos on Walnut Avenue - and even some of his own family - considered Phillip Garrido strange as he proselytized to them about his messages from God and kept the females at his house from contact with outsiders.

Erika Pratt, 25, who stayed next door two years ago, said she was continuously "freaked out" by Garrido's behavior and that when she popped her head over the fence she saw his secret compound. There were tents, sheds and pit bulls, she said, and water hoses leading from her house next door.

hey never talked'

"He had little girls and women living in that backyard, and they all looked kind of the same," Pratt said. "They never talked, and they kept to themselves."

Pratt said people came and went from the property, but the core group consisted of two girls about 4 years old, one girl about 11, another girl about 15 and a young woman about 25. They were all blond, she said.

Pratt said she had called Contra Costa County sheriff's deputies to investigate, but that officers "told me they couldn't go inside because they didn't have a warrant. So they just told him they'd keep an eye on him."

Police said Thursday that the only people living in the yard when the Garridos were arrested were Dugard and her daughters.

blank stare'

Haydee Perry, 35, who lives next door, said that when Phillip Garrido helped her jump-start her car a month ago, he had a young girl clinging to him in a manner that struck her as strange.

"She stayed close to him at all times," Perry said. "It wasn't normal behavior. She had a blank stare on her face. Now it seems like a cry out for help."

A Web site containing statements from Garrido and others called "Voices Revealed" talks about a turnaround that allowed him "to open doors that will honor the creator and his eternal purpose for mankind."

The site also indicates that he gave a demonstration in Pittsburg last month with a homemade box to prove "the creator has given me the ability to speak in the tongue of angels in order to provide a wake-up call that will in time include the salvation of the entire world."

Mary Thomas, accountant at J&M auto dismantlers in Pittsburg, near where Garrido set up his revival tent, said he "was always very professional and spoke the word of God whenever he talked."

Garrido had a printing business, making business cards for J&M and others in the area. Tiffany Tran, who runs Furniture Gallery in Brentwood, said she had seen and done business with "Phil the printer" for six years, as recently as last week.

little different'

She recalled Garrido as being "a little different" and said he constantly talked about religion and showed her a device through which he claimed he could control sound with his mind.

"Some people have a story behind their smile, some don't - he did," Tran said. "He was happy-go-lucky, but you knew there was a story behind it."

Chronicle staff writers Matthew Yi and Matthew B. Stannard contributed to this report. E-mail the writers at dbulwa@sfchronicle.com, jvanderbeken@sfchronicle.com, hlee@sfchronicle.com and kfagan@sfchronicle.com.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...MN4N19EJ35.DTL

This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Its just so sad.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

what's amazing is how long she was just feet from the rest of the world, but she might as well have been miles away...missed opportunities to rescue her

chillingly, a guy is reporting that he bought the house next door it had reportedly not been lived in for years....but when he took possession of the house he found all the door locks were backwards...you could lock someone in a room or in the house, but you couldn't lock the doors to keep someone out...they now believe Jaycee may have been living in that house

he thought it was strange enough to report it to the police, but nothing was done

sadly the police have admitted that they could have done more.

those 2 kids are going to have a tough time adjusting...God help them

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been watching this. I'll wait to comment until there is a solid body of reliable information.

It is almost beyond words for a number of reasons.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    what's amazing is how long she was just feet from the rest of the world, but she might as well have been miles away...missed opportunities to rescue her

chillingly, a guy is reporting that he bought the house next door it had reportedly not been lived in for years....but when he took possession of the house he found all the door locks were backwards...you could lock someone in a room or in the house, but you couldn't lock the doors to keep someone out...they now believe Jaycee may have been living in that house

he thought it was strange enough to report it to the police, but nothing was done

sadly the police have admitted that they could have done more.

those 2 kids are going to have a tough time adjusting...God help them

Yep, another one of those bizarre things that is coming out. What a bad situation all around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

This story is horrific for many reasons but one that sticks out with me is that there was very little anyone could have done to prevent this. This girl was basically plucked off the street by a psychopath in front of her own step-father. She wasn't a rebellious girl who ran off or a neglected kid. Parents and kids follow all the rules to be safe and still something like this can happen. It's mind-blowing and tragic.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

"my life has been straightened out. Wait till you hear the story of what took place at this house. You're going to be absolutely impressed. It's a disgusting thing that took place with me at the beginning, but I turned my life completely around."
    I cant believe this!! He steals a child from her parents and puts them through a living hell, keeps her in squalor, rapes her repeatedly, gets her pregnant, gives neither her or her babies any medical care or schooling, and basically steals her life and innocence and we're gonna be impressed with how HIS life has been straightened out? Eat shit and die scumbag!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

In recent years, he said, "my life has been straightened out. Wait till you hear the story of what took place at this house. You're going to be absolutely impressed. It's a disgusting thing that took place with me at the beginning, but I turned my life completely around."
    I hope you get 'completely turned around' by your future cell block neighbors, friend. They just loooooove your kind in the clink.

Hope ya like salad, fucko.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

There may be more to this case than the charges regarding the kidnapped girl.

Search intensifies at kidnap suspect's compound

Meredith May,Stefan Tomik, Chronicle Staff Writers

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Police continued to search Phillip and Nancy Garrido's reputed backyard prison compound Saturday near Antioch, pulling items out of scrap heaps, poring over rusted cars encircled by overgrown weeds, and walking through dilapidated tents where authorities say an 11-year-old girl was held captive for 18 years.

The discovery that 1991 kidnap victim Jaycee Lee Dugard was held prisoner there along with her two daughters, ages 11 and 15, allegedly fathered by Garrido, has led to an intense police search and media stakeout.

The Garridos entered not guilty pleas Friday to 29 rape and kidnapping charges. They are being held in El Dorado County Jail. The abduction happened in South Lake Tahoe.

Contra Costa County sheriff's officials said Saturday that they have begun "an exploratory investigation to see if kidnap suspect Phillip Garrido may be linked to some open cases." Police want to know if Garrido, a registered sex offender, is connected to a string of unsolved prostitute killings in Pittsburg in 1998 and 1999.

Some of the 10 women who were killed then were found strangled, stabbed and dumped in a ditch in an industrial area at the same time Garrido worked nearby, according to Capt. Dan Terry of the Contra Costa County sheriff's office.

Garrido has been interviewed about those killings, but said nothing to indicate he was involved, Terry said.

Dozens of reporters and several rumbling satellite television trucks were gathered Saturday afternoon outside the Garrido compound on Walnut Avenue in an otherwise sleepy, unincorporated area just outside Antioch's city limits.

Police blocked off both entrances to the U-shaped avenue, letting only credentialed media and residents pass through. Four officers searched the yard, while press photographers shot pictures through holes in the fence.

The Sheriff's Department and state parole officials have had to answer public criticism for not discovering the lair that Garrido concealed behind a false backyard wall, despite periodic law enforcement visits to his home.

In 2006, a sheriff's deputy responded to a neighbor who called to report she had seen women and girls living in squalor when she looked over the fence. The deputy reportedly told her he could not search the yard without a warrant, which sheriff's officials now say was incorrect because Garrido loses that right to privacy as a registered sex offender on parole.

Other neighbors also thought something was amiss, but were confused about their legal rights.

Karan Walker, who lives three doors down from the compound, said she was aware via the Internet that her neighbor was a registered sex offender. Walker said "a red flag went up" for her when she saw Garrido a while ago walking with a young girl with blond hair.

"But I didn't know what the law was," she said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...FTD4.DTL&tsp=1

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

There have been many articles on this. It's part of the reason I am so overprotective of my own kids. Sad to say. I guess because it's stuff like this that makes me so paranoid that my kids can't enjoy the kind of kid freedoms I did. You know, no cell phones, come home when the streelights come on...that sort of thing.

This guy is completely mental. There was an article about his dad saying that he was in a horiffic accident when he was younger and completely changed after it. Got involved in drugs and all this kind of stuff. I just find it hard to believe the cops didn't look further than his front porch, even after all the calls alerting them to the backyard. Why in the hell did none of them go back there? It just doesn't make any sense. From what they say they're kicking themselves for not investigating further. Too freaking late now.

I'm glad it's finally done and her family has some sort of peace. I cannot imagine and hope I never have to go through something like this from their perspective. It's just sad that Jaycee and her daughters will be scarred for life because of this monster.

TST<-------is it wrong to shoot someone in the balls and watch him bleed to death?------I'm thinking maybe not----------

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Storm Tracey View Post

TST<-------is it wrong to shoot someone in the balls and watch him bleed to death?------I'm thinking maybe not----------
    in cases like this, that is not a bad idea at all. He can't suffer enough. I wish he could be tried in a country that did not care much for human rights. I'd love to see him publically stoned to death.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:26 PM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Flipping around, it looked like Geraldo had GoogleEarth up, and you could see the tents at the guy's house.

It is sad that the cops couldn't have been more proactive with this guy. I mean Jesus, all they had to do was get on a computer with all the complaints and look in the backyard that way and see.

On the other hand, sometimes it takes a case like this for checking things like that to become routine.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

Maybe, but the killer is, the fucking getaway vehicle was ON HIS PROPERTY
    some 20 yrs later. Nevermind that he was a regestered (and paroled) sex
    offender. Not a lot of ways in and out of Tahoe and this lead escaped them.

Police are supposed to expect the unexpected. The preponderance of
    the reasonably anticipated just makes the mind reel at all the missed opportunities.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Hopefully this will lead to some procedural changes nationwide. Seems as if they could've ended this a long time ago if they'd put a little bit of effort in. Of course, now what will happen is someone will get caught because a police office uses the aerial views of Google maps or Mapquest and then someone will be complaining "what gives them the right to photograph our backyard"?

Here's a legal question - can the police scope out a yard from a helicopter, or do they need a warrant for that?

Oh, and when they get all the information from this guy, take a 44 magnum an blow his head clean off.