Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Blackstar HT-5

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Default Blackstar HT-5

I just tried a HT-5 mini stack, and I thought it sounded pretty good. I didn't get a chance to really open it up, but it had a good tone, and note articulation on the gain channel. It would require an overdrive to achieve a higher gain setting, but it has a good classic rock gain.

Does anyone use Blackstar, and if so, what are your opinions of their stuff? I'm considering buying the HT-5, but I just don't know enough about Blackstar.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

I have an HT-5, and I like it a lot. The distortion sounds fat and seems to clean up fairly well when you back off the volume on the guitar. Like you said, it doesn't have a huge amount of gain, but if I at least run the gain at 6, I'm happy with the tone and the sustain. I am not a fan of the stock speaker, though - it sounds nice on cleans, but it deadens the sound of the drive channel to my ears.

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a guy on youtube with some brown sound settings really cool. He also plays some Stray Cats (Runaway Boys). Check it out. I've been searching all the info I can get about this amp and every review seems positive. Blackstar is a company made by ex-Marshall employees (engineers), so one would think it's easy enough to get a usable sound. The HT5 is based on their HT pedal and it seems quite good, for home practicing. For rehearsals, you'd need to mic it up.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's my HT-5 story...
    Back in January, I left work on a Friday afternoon and decided to swing by Guitar Center on my way home. I wasn't looking for anything specific, just wanted to see if they had anything cool to check out. I had been playing Mesa Boogie amps (F50 and Stiletto Ace) for the past several years and had become very uninspired by my tone. I was aware of the new small wattage trend and thought that might be something to consider in the future. Even my 50 watt amps were simply way too much power for my uses (home playing and recording).

Anyway, I walked into their enclosed amp room and there was this amp and amp company I had never heard of. Even better, it was only 5 watts and was an all tube head. I grabbed a guitar off the wall, turned in on and plugged in. The clean channel was fine (nothing great), but I never make an amp decision based on the clean channel. It's maybe 10% of the decision making process. I then switched over to the lead channel and I immediately was grinning from ear to ear. I knew right away that I was walking out the door with a new amp. Somehow, Blackstar was able to make two 1x10 cabinets sound like a true Marshall stack in meldown mode. It was also great finally being able to enjoy the benefits of power amp distortion vs. just the pre amp distortion. With the small wattaage, I was able to crank the volume and not kill my ears.

The sales guy told me the ex-Marshall employee story and told me they had a deal going so I could get an extra $50 off. That put that amp head and two cabinets at $450. I was sold and ran home to play. I was so excited about the amp and still am today when I plug in. I put all my MesaBoogie gear up on Craigslist and actually made a nice profit since the HT-5 was so inexpensive.

The amp just rocks and it looks really cool to boot. Now I'm fighting the urge to try/buy their new Series One amps. Great company and outstanding tone!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skider View Post
    Now I'm fighting the urge to try/buy their new Series One amps. Great company and outstanding tone!
    Yeah, I can't wait for the Series Ones to hit the stores. That should be one hell of a line!
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

In your opinion, will it keep up with the volume of an acoustic drum kit?
    that's really all I would need to do to make it usable for all purposes including gigging if required.

When I was gigging, I only ran my post volume on about 5.5 on my 5150 combo. I basically put it on a stand to my left side, pointing back at me and away from the crowd. I used it like a monitor to hear my guitar, and mic'd it to run through the mains.

So the big question is, will it get as loud as a 5150 combo on 5.5?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't messed around with a 5150 combo in 10+ years, but given it's a 100 watt amp, my guess is that a 5 watt HT-5 cranked won't be as loud as a 5150 at half volume. HT-5 sounds amazing, and can make your ears buzz after playing a bit at full volume, but it can't compete with 50 and 100 watt amps in terms of volume. I've heard people around the net gigging with them and have had no problem if the mic is amped. As far as it being your only monitor, it's probably situational. Give one a try and turn it up and see what you think...

Last Online

Thanks for the info. The 5150 Combo is a 60 watt amp, so it should work okay. I'm thinking about getting the Blackstar head, and an Avatar 2x12 cabinet with the G12H30, and the Vintage 30. Maybe I should go with Greenbacks instead, hmmm.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.05.13 @ 05:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't believe this guy! I've had to deal with him before! He is a Sammy fan and we all know they should be banned!!

Just kidding. I've played through Skid's HT-5 and they are smokin' hot amps!

Quote Originally Posted by Skider View Post
    Here's my HT-5 story...
    Back in January, I left work on a Friday afternoon and decided to swing by Guitar Center on my way home. I wasn't looking for anything specific, just wanted to see if they had anything cool to check out. I had been playing Mesa Boogie amps (F50 and Stiletto Ace) for the past several years and had become very uninspired by my tone. I was aware of the new small wattage trend and thought that might be something to consider in the future. Even my 50 watt amps were simply way too much power for my uses (home playing and recording).

Anyway, I walked into their enclosed amp room and there was this amp and amp company I had never heard of. Even better, it was only 5 watts and was an all tube head. I grabbed a guitar off the wall, turned in on and plugged in. The clean channel was fine (nothing great), but I never make an amp decision based on the clean channel. It's maybe 10% of the decision making process. I then switched over to the lead channel and I immediately was grinning from ear to ear. I knew right away that I was walking out the door with a new amp. Somehow, Blackstar was able to make two 1x10 cabinets sound like a true Marshall stack in meldown mode. It was also great finally being able to enjoy the benefits of power amp distortion vs. just the pre amp distortion. With the small wattaage, I was able to crank the volume and not kill my ears.

The sales guy told me the ex-Marshall employee story and told me they had a deal going so I could get an extra $50 off. That put that amp head and two cabinets at $450. I was sold and ran home to play. I was so excited about the amp and still am today when I plug in. I put all my MesaBoogie gear up on Craigslist and actually made a nice profit since the HT-5 was so inexpensive.

The amp just rocks and it looks really cool to boot. Now I'm fighting the urge to try/buy their new Series One amps. Great company and outstanding tone!