Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Once, Cathedral, Poundcake
    Last Online

10.11.14 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Friday Night Lights

Who's got boys that are playing high school football?

My oldest played all 4 years as a defensive tackle, a starter his senior year. His 'little brother' is a freshman this year. 6'3" 275 of offensive guard/tackle, probably starting their first is next Tuesday, they have a multischool scrimmage Saturday.

Go Lancers!!
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...LSe/weight.png

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Stidham View Post
    Who's got boys that are playing high school football?

My oldest played all 4 years as a defensive tackle, a starter his senior year. His 'little brother' is a freshman this year. 6'3" 275 of offensive guard/tackle, probably starting their first is next Tuesday, they have a multischool scrimmage Saturday.

Go Lancers!!
    Not yet. My son is going into 7th grade, he's in his 6th year of Pop Warner ball. Wife and I hope he stays with it, but he's a tad timid. Big strong kid - 12 years old, he's about 5'5", and 135 lbs. He's been a center since he was 8, he seems to excel every other year. At 7 he struggled mightily, at 8 he was on the field for every snap of the year, at 9 (new level) he was a minimum play kid, at 10 he was on for every snap of the year for a playoff team, at 11 (new level) he was a minimum play kid, and this year (new level) he's the starter as of now, games start in two weeks.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Not yet. My son is going into 7th grade, he's in his 6th year of Pop Warner ball. Wife and I hope he stays with it, but he's a tad timid. Big strong kid - 12 years old, he's about 5'5", and 135 lbs. He's been a center since he was 8, he seems to excel every other year. At 7 he struggled mightily, at 8 he was on the field for every snap of the year, at 9 (new level) he was a minimum play kid, at 10 he was on for every snap of the year for a playoff team, at 11 (new level) he was a minimum play kid, and this year (new level) he's the starter as of now, games start in two weeks.
    My son who's a freshman played 3 years of pop warner ball. Loved it. I think his record was like 33 and 3 in 3 years. 2 championships, 1 undefeated season and a year as with second place finish. First year, like yours minimum play kid. 2nd year would have been a starter but got hurt (away from football, he cut his shin down to the bone on a boat prop and missed 3 weeks of practice and the first game of the season.) he was more than a minimum play kid, but not out there every snap. His last year, started on both sides of the ball and was a true force to be reckoned with in the middle. There was a series he was on defense, The other team ran it to the left, got stuffed in the back field, ran it to the right picked up a couple of yards, 3rd and 9 they go up the middle. Their back runs right into my son at the line. My son actually looked surprised when the kid ran into him. After the play I could hear the refs talking, "Why did they run it right to that big kid?" and then they started laughing.
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

what is "pop warner" and why is it called that?

I hear that a lot...sounds like it's the football equivalent of little league baseball.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is the equivalent of little league football. I found this on www.popwarner.com

HISTORY OF THE ORGANIZATION:

It all began in 1929 when the owner of a new factory in Northeast Philadelphia enlisted the aid of a young friend, Joseph J. Tomlin, to solve a recurring problem. The factory's huge ground-to-floor windows were constantly being shattered - 100 broken windows in just one month - by teenagers hurling stones from a nearby vacant lot.

Joe Tomlin, an enthusiastic athlete who had excelled in sports in high school and college, had a possible answer. Since the other factories in the area were also being plagued by the young vandals, he suggested that the building owners get together to fund an athletic program for the kids. In those days, the city did not have organized recreation programs to keep idle kids occupied and out of trouble.

The owners agreed, and asked Tomlin to set up a program. Commuting from his job as a stockbroker in New York City, he returned to his home in Philadelphia each weekend. Fall was approaching, so football seemed a logical choice to begin the new project. He set up a schedule for a four-team Junior Football Conference in time for the 1929 season.

Then October came, and with it the collapse of the stock market. He left New York and returned to Philadelphia to concentrate on youth work.

By 1933, the Junior Football Conference had expanded to 16 teams. That year Glenn Scobie "Pop" Warner, already a legend among active football coaches, arrived in Philadelphia to coach the Temple Owls. Joe Tomlin met Pop Warner at a winter banquet and asked him to lecture at a spring clinic Tomlin was planning for his JFC teams.

On the evening of April 19, 1934, the temperature dropped to an unseasonable low, with high winds and torrential rain mixed with sleet. Of the dozen area college football coaches scheduled to speak at the clinic, only Pop Warner showed up. The 800 excited young football players kept him talking and answering questions for two hours. By the end of the evening, by popular acclaim, the fledging youth program was renamed the Pop Warner Conference.

The prestigious Warner name was a powerful attraction. By 1938, there were 157 teams. Most of the players were at least 15 years old and a few were even over 30. Competition was organized along top weights only, except for the youngest kids. Teams represented neighborhoods in the city, while suburban teams represented towns.

During the depression years, a large number of kids left school. Tomlin, a great believer in the importance of education, fought the trend with literature and speakers. He also arranged for tutors for "marginal" kids who wanted to stay in school.

When World War II came, the Pop Warner Conference lost most of its older players. Some squads folded, while others merged. Only 42 teams remained.

Although the Conference rebounded to 100 teams in the 1947 season, there was a shift in membership. Many of the returning service-men abandoned football. Increasingly, the teams were composed of 15-year-olds or younger. Rules were set up for their benefit, including minimum and maximum weights. The era of "midget football" had begun.

The first "kiddie" bowl game, called the Santa Claus Bowl, was played on December 27, 1947, in 6 inches of snow before 2000 freezing spectators. The Clickets midget team, sponsored by Palumbo's, a Philadelphia supper club, competed against Frank Sinatra's Cyclones, a New York team.

The Philadelphia team won the game, 6-0, and the Philadelphia Pop Warner Conference won the attention of the nation for the first time.

As football for kids began to develop in communities across the country, Tomlin was deluged with requests for help in starting teams. By the early 1950s, he was determined to "go national." Although he had some supporters, he also had detractors. Many people were convinced that tackle football was too dangerous for kids. Joe told them that the Philadelphia midget program had operated for 15 years without a fatality or serious injury. They wouldn't listen.

In 1953, he spoke at the National Education Association symposium on "Sports for Youth" in Washington, D.C. He suggested to the attendees that a liaison should be formed between the sports and educational establishments for the good of the students. They wouldn't listen.

But there were others who did. Among them: the American Football Coaches Association which bestowed its coveted "Stagg Award" on Joe Tomlin in 1955 for his pioneering work among youth; a major national insurance underwriter which offered a plan with rates based on empirical evidence that tackle football for kids is as safe as its proponents claimed; and Bert Bell, then NFL Commissioner, who, shortly before his death, agreed to introduce the PW program to team owners to gain their support nationally.

Tomlin's dream finally became a reality when Pop Warner Little Scholars was officially incorporated as a national non-profit organization in 1959. The name was selected to underscore the basic concept of Pop Warner- that the classroom is as important as the playing field.

Walt Disney, attracted by this philosophy, filmed a two-hour show, "Moochie of Pop Warner Football." It aired on ABC in 1960, and can still be seen today on the Disney cable channel.

In the 1960's, Pop Warner Football burgeoned in small hamlets, mid-sized cities and metropolitan areas from coast to coast. By the end of the decade there were over 3000 teams.

But football was for boys and girls felt left out. Cheering from the stands wasn't enough. They wanted, somehow, to share in the excitement and fun down on the field. So Pop Warner introduced a new activity: cheerleading. The girls loved it, and during the 1970s this new branch of Pop Warner grew rapidly.

In 1983, in response to many requests, a flag football program was initiated. Originally designed for teams on a tight budget, this sport has become an excellent training ground for tackle leagues.

Today, there are over 300,000 boys and girls, ages 5-16, participating in PW programs in the United States. Teams in Mexico and Japan have also joined the PW "family." There are now over 5000 football teams, playing in eight different age/weight classifications.

Cheerleading programs have expanded beyond the traditional "sideline squads" to include performing groups such as majorettes, pom squads, dancing boots and pep squads. The first National Cheerleading Competition was held in 1988 and now shares the spotlight with the annual PW Super Bowl, being held this year in Walt Disney World.

There is also another competition which is an integral part of the Pop Warner program. This competition recognizes academic excellence, and being named an All-American Scholar is a coveted honor for any PW player or cheerleader.

Author James Michener termed Pop Warner Football as "organized juvenile sports at its best." But Pop Warner is more than sports for kids. It's also the dedicated volunteers- the coaches, field administrators, Board of Directors, Trustees - and the generous contributors and sponsors who make it all possible.

Joe Tomlin passed away on May 16, 1988 at the age of 85. He left a legacy which will endure as long as there are kids and footballs- and dreams.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are some pics of my son's freshman year. He's number 68.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well here we are again. The middle of summer when the sounds pads crashing together starts. High school football conditioning is in full swing. Biggun is getting ready to start his sophomore season. He went to an underclassmen combine in May and got an invite to a camp for college prospects at Illinois in July. The guy running the combine told me. "His stats aren't great, but for a kid his age (15) and his size (6'3 1/2") 274, they are very impressive. "

He's had others tell him he might dress varsity this year. That would be cool.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds great Stidham. You'll have to keep us updated on how the season progresses.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    Sounds great Stidham. You'll have to keep us updated on how the season progresses.
    Well it was looking good for my boy. JV starter, and probably second string on varsity. Then BAM!. The day before the school started, he dislocated a kneecap in a 1 on 1 drill against a kid who's about 5'10 and 325 and strained just about everything else in the knee. No tears though, that's good, but he just got back from the dr's. He'll see him again in 4 weeks, keep up with the physical therapy, etc. his mother, him, and I have decided that with only two weeks left in the season after the next dr visit, we're just going to sit out the year and come back stronger for his varsity seasons. He'll be ready for wrestling in Nov.

We'll keep you informed.

The team is doing well. Both JV and varsity are 3 - 0.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That description just sent a shiver down my spine. Knees get so abused. If you look at Mike Ditika for instance, the man can barely walk. More like he waddles after so many years playing.

I hope he makes a full recovery. And a big thumbs up on the wrestling.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks. he's doing real well in PT, and he's looking forward to wrestling. He hoping the kid that fell on him wrestles. He's going to make him his beyotch if he does.

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

I'm in my 14th year as a HS assistant coach. We won the Oregon big school state championship last year, and have won three titles since 2002.
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA

Chickenfoot
    6-3-12 Portland, OR

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's cool. How's the team looking this year?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    That description just sent a shiver down my spine. Knees get so abused. If you look at Mike Ditika for instance, the man can barely walk. More like he waddles after so many years playing.

I hope he makes a full recovery. And a big thumbs up on the wrestling.

Thanks. I didn't play football. I played church league basketball for 5 years. The crappy tile over concrete floor did a number on my knees. I was a 6'2" 230 lbs center for our team.

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stidham View Post
    That's cool. How's the team looking this year?
    Good. Ranked 3rd in state and favored to win our conference again.
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA