Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Default Telecaster choices

I know this will be a strange post being a Van Halen site and all but I respect your guy's opinion and maybe a few of you can help me out.

Over the past year, I have fallen into a country bug and now am starting to incorporate some of it into my guitar style. Not going well because its different style but then again some of it is pretty tough. Anyway, since all of my guitars are humbucker style guitars, I have been thinking of picking up a telecaster style guitar since it can offer a more traditional tone.

I am not a big believer in breaking the bank for a guitar so I am looking at maybe 500-1000 for a used or new guitar. Any ideas outside of throwing a dart at a Musician's friend and seeing what telecaster it hits? Any horrible years with them or if you have another guitar suggestion, that would be great too.

BTW if you give me an idea how to get a better left and right hand, that would be great too!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I know this will be a strange post being a Van Halen site and all but I respect your guy's opinion and maybe a few of you can help me out.

Over the past year, I have fallen into a country bug and now am starting to incorporate some of it into my guitar style. Not going well because its different style but then again some of it is pretty tough. Anyway, since all of my guitars are humbucker style guitars, I have been thinking of picking up a telecaster style guitar since it can offer a more traditional tone.

I am not a big believer in breaking the bank for a guitar so I am looking at maybe 500-1000 for a used or new guitar. Any ideas outside of throwing a dart at a Musician's friend and seeing what telecaster it hits? Any horrible years with them or if you have another guitar suggestion, that would be great too.

BTW if you give me an idea how to get a better left and right hand, that would be great too!
    I love telecasters...nothing sounds like it. Choice wise, Fender naturally. Model wise, the USA Standard is always a good choice, used between 600$ and 750$ depending on year and model. The new line of Road Worn is VERY nice, sounds incredible if you don't mind a relic guitar.

If you can find a 52 reissue for 1000$..then it's the holy grail of Telecasters basicaly. But like all guitars, go try as many has you can.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

"BTW if you give me an idea how to get a better left and right hand, that would be great too!"

Masturbate as frequently as possible. And change hands each "session."
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Glad to see that someone else here can join the Tele Fan club, which I had previously thought was a membership of 1! I have two Teles and I love them. But, the one that I love is a $400 Japanese model that I plucked brand-new from a pawn store. The other is a pretty amazing $1,200 vintage-style made in America, but I don't play it as much as the "inferior" version.

Fender Teles are kind of weird that way. I'd say, be patient and definitely don't order one off the Internet without playing it first. They are very inconsistent from one to the next and you might not get what you pay for. Don't be afraid to try the "cheaper" ones, as with my example, I lucked out and got a really sweet guitar for a reasonable price.

Quick side-bar: if you are getting into country licks within your normal rock playing, check out Michael Lee Firkins. The guy is flat out sick and I thought did an amazing job of bridging the two genres. If you can find his first album, it is full of tasty goodness.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately masturbation hasn't helped my guitar technique over the past 20 years so I may just need a set of new hands.

I don't think I could ever order a guitar off the internet so most likely it will be a local music store or a local seller. I have to pawn off my wedding ring (filed divorce papers yesterday), so maybe I will look around for a pawn shop with a good tele.

I used to listen to Firkins when he came out. Great guitarist. I still have those mp3's of him and a bunch of guitarists playing covers. I think it might have been called Guitar Battle?

Right now, I am just trying to incorporate open strings, chicken pickin' and doing some of those pedal steel like bends.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

absolutely love teles. I have a california series fat tele. If you can score one of those used, you'e a lucky man. It has a humbucker in the neck position and a nasty (in a good way) tele pick up in the bridge. Truly the best of both worlds.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    I love telecasters...nothing sounds like it. Choice wise, Fender naturally. Model wise, the USA Standard is always a good choice, used between 600$ and 750$ depending on year and model. The new line of Road Worn is VERY nice, sounds incredible if you don't mind a relic guitar.

If you can find a 52 reissue for 1000$..then it's the holy grail of Telecasters basicaly. But like all guitars, go try as many has you can.
    +1 on the Road Worn Teles...they play really beautifully and are great value for the money, imho..
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

The best tele I ever played was a Washburn Laredo. Hands down the best sounding, looking, playing tele I ever picked up. I borrowed that guitar from my buddy for countless sessions.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 3 Posts

Hey I strongly recommend the Japanese Telecaster 62 Reissue Custom. I bought one brand new from japan a couple of years ago and paid $750 Australian (I live in Oz). Hence it will be cheaper in USD. It is fantastic. The quality, sound and feel is flawless. I have a brand new US Strat and this tele beats it hands down in all departments.

I bought it direct from Fender Japan over the net and it arrived in 3 working days. The Japanese are brilliant! Set up was a little high in the action but hey - is great now.

Pity I can't play that chicken picken style though! Here is a link

http://www.guitar-village.co.uk/prod...osewood%2C+New
    Her T-shirt ended early and her hot pants started late

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I know a lot more than I did last week when I posted it.

Now if I can only get a handle on this chicken pickin', I would be set.

Any good references regarding that?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the tips guys. I know a lot more than I did last week when I posted it.

Now if I can only get a handle on this chicken pickin', I would be set.

Any good references regarding that?
    when you figure it out, come by and teach me. I'll buy the beer and pizza.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default I wanna build a Tele!!

I have an itch that must be scratched. The sad thing is, I have one already (Warmoth Tele) and just want another.
    I would love to build a Tele with the neck having the same dimensions as a WG or MM evh and have the body be ash or swamp ash. It would have to be relic'd and also be Canary Yellow w/ a Humbucker (that fits in a single coil slot). I know Fender builds a pretty close version of what I'm describing here, but I don't want to make compromises on some options, such as neck etc.

Suggestions are welcome as to what direction I should go in. Warmoth is excellent, but other options are always good to hear. And, with all the guitar nuts around here, it's cool to get feedback from the other junkies.
    Thanks - CV

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    I have an itch that must be scratched. The sad thing is, I have one already (Warmoth Tele) and just want another.
    I would love to build a Tele with the neck having the same dimensions as a WG or MM evh and have the body be ash or swamp ash. It would have to be relic'd and also be Canary Yellow w/ a Humbucker (that fits in a single coil slot). I know Fender builds a pretty close version of what I'm describing here, but I don't want to make compromises on some options, such as neck etc.

Suggestions are welcome as to what direction I should go in. Warmoth is excellent, but other options are always good to hear. And, with all the guitar nuts around here, it's cool to get feedback from the other junkies.
    Thanks - CV
    Keep checking in here...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/testbo1.html

They don't have the color you want yet, but they are getting more color options in soon, as well as solid ash bodies from what I hear. I have been very impressed with everything I've purchased from GFS.

For the WG or MM-like neck, I'd contact Scott Fletcher right here on the links.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Keep checking in here...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/testbo1.html

They don't have the color you want yet, but they are getting more color options in soon, as well as solid ash bodies from what I hear. I have been very impressed with everything I've purchased from GFS.

For the WG or MM-like neck, I'd contact Scott Fletcher right here on the links.
    Thanks Man!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.18.14 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A used '52 RI (or '62 RI, if you like rosewood) would be a great way to go. If you want to buy new, the Highway One series falls in your price range.

If you're looking for an instructional video, James Burton's Hot Licks video is pretty good:

This guy likes the occasional Tele: