Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Last Online

07.24.15 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Default Fire damages historic Tadich Grill restaurant

I have a friend who works here and he was telling me about it.

Fire damages historic Tadich Grill restaurant
    John King,Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writers
    Monday, August 24, 2009
    (08-24) 16:16 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco's historic Tadich Grill could reopen as soon as Tuesday after a two-alarm stove fire was quickly extinguished today, officials said.

The blaze at 240 California St. was reported about 11:21 a.m. The fire originated from a wood-burning stove and flames went up a flue, sending a cloud of smoke into the sky, Deputy Fire Chief Pat Gardner said.

About three dozen firefighters responded in 13 trucks to control the blaze. The fire caused an estimated $160,000 in damage, mostly from firefighters removing part of the ceiling to fight the blaze. They managed to confine the fire to the flue.

No injuries were reported.

Gardner described the blaze as a "typical flue fire."

"The damage isn't severe enough to keep it out of operation for long," he said, adding that restaurant managers had indicated the establishment could reopen Tuesday. "That's up to them," Gardner said.

He said fire inspectors check every six months to assure that grease does not accumulate in flues. He said Tadich had passed inspection within the past few months.

Established in 1849, Tadich is San Francisco's oldest restaurant and one of the city's oldest businesses.

Asked what had been cooking when the fire started, Gardner said, "I don't know. It was ashes by the time we got there."

E-mail the writers at and

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yeah, I read about this yesterday in the SFGate. Hopefully, they'll be back in business soon. I used to work right next door when I lived in San Francisco and the food there is delicious!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear of this. There was a marathon of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel last week, and it included a show he did on San Francisco. The Tadich Grill was prominently featured in the episode. Fortunately for all involved, the fire was relatively small.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw