Thread: BOSTON

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default BOSTON

Ok, just got home. This show kicked some ass. Might have been cuase i was sitting fourth row dead center. Chad actually owes me a fucking beer. I was on my way back and I think he purposely knocked it out of my hand...regardless I got a stick that mutherfu....ker.

Oh, and me being a vh3 fan, i got another photo with Gary on the way out. That guy is still a saint in my book!!! Great show. Someone else can give a review. No I did not drive home.

follow tom with a ton of picts...

BD
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Last Online

08.02.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i saw gary around earlier in the day, did he end up on stage at all with them?

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Just in from the show. Sat in the 13th row on Joe's side towards the middle aisle. Wow. I knew it would be good but they exceeded my expectations. For me it was Satriani that stole the show. If you're a longtime Satch fan then you must have been creaming your pants tonight. The guy was awesome.

My personal highlights were:

Avenida Revolution - What a KILLER opening song. I was pretty blown away by the balls this song had in person. Right from the start I was so incredibly impressed with how tight this band sounded. You'd NEVER know they just formed less than a year ago.

Down the Drain - Been my favorite since it first leaked and man did it deliver. Could Satch's tone be any better on this? That heavy, thick tone was fucking great. What a monster of a song this is.

Future In The Past - Loved this song from the start and it I thought it was spot on tonight. Such a good song.

Midway through this show I was convinced there's no way this band can pull the plug on this thing without a follow up album and tour. Still can't believe they've only been together for the short time they have. To me this isn't a supergroup novelty act, this is a legit band. They'd be fools to not keep this thing going.

Individually the whole band were top notch. Sammy sounded as good as I've ever heard him, Satch played out of his fucking tits, Chad was a maniac on the drums and really blew me away, and Mikey was playing and singing his ass off.

Awesome job by the 'Foot in Boston tonight. The best $56 I've ever spent!
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by empyre44 View Post
    i saw gary around earlier in the day, did he end up on stage at all with them?
    Gary never got on stage, but he was stage right when i was leaving the venue. I forgot to tell him;....(again, that i'm looking for a lead singer)...damn it.!!!

Perhaps next year during the "right of the chicken tour" with Sammy Hagar, MA and Dany Knowles.

Did anyone listen to the opening act? That guys was a breath of fresh air...
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fantastic show last night! I was on the second night of back to back concerts. Judas Priest on Sunday and the Foot last night. Chickenfoot was definately the much better show. Satch is unfreakenbelievable! I was blown away. Yes, he definately stole the show and he was able to play through Chad hitting him in the head with a stick.

The band as a whole were tight. You all know about Joe, Sammy was his usual self, Mikey looked and sounded great and was running around like a madman and Chad can whale on the drums. The highlights for me were Avienda Revolution, Soap on a rope, Down the Drain, and the acoustic number they did. I'm not sure what it was but it reminded me of Bron-yur-stomp by Zep. Everyone was rockin' out to that one. Also, the fellas threw in little tidbits of Jimi Hendrix, The Who, and Led Zeppelin which was great. My only criticism would be the encore which paled in comparison to the rest of the show. They should end with something better.

All in all it was a great night. Definatley worth the money and I would see them again for sure. I hope these guys don't end up being a one and done band.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Dog View Post
    and the acoustic number they did. I'm not sure what it was but it reminded me of Bron-yur-stomp by Zep. Everyone was rockin' out to that one.
    Bitten By The Wolf ?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

What did you guys think about Chads comments about the Celtics and Lakers?? I gotta say, his attempts at being funny didn't land well at all. I've been to hundreds of concerts and I've never seen anything like that.

Any of you that spend time in Play Ball should know I'm not a big C's fan at all, so I'm not upset about what he said. Just saying that it felt like the air came out of the place for a bit and even Sam, Mike, and Joe looked to be cringing at his comments. I swear the band could feel the tension he created and Sam tried like hell to ease it up.
    Last edited by Double Down; 08.25.09 at 01:59 PM.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    What did you guys think about Chads comments about the Celtics and Lakers?? I gotta say, his attempts at being funny didn't land well at all. I've been to hundreds of concerts and I've never seen anything like that.

Any of you that spend time in Play Ball should know I'm not a big C's fan at all, so I'm not upset about what he said. Just saying that it felt like the air came out of the place for a bit and even Sam, Mike, and Joe looked to be cringing at his comments. I swear the band could feel the tension he created and Sam tried like hell to ease it up.
    He has done this at several shows. He seems to like to antagonize the sports fans of the cities he plays. I did it at both shows in Chicago.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.26.09 @ 04:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the Boston Herald:

"Chickenfoot lays an egg
    By Jed Gottlieb / Review
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - Added 14h ago

The first time Chickenfoot came to town (May 26), the new supergroup found the tiny Middle East rock club a wee bit confining. Or as Sammy Hagar put it at the gig: “My (expletive) hotel room is bigger than this.”

This time around, Hagar, ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and virtuoso axeman Joe Satriani had more room at their Monday Bank of America Pavilion show. (Maybe too much room, the venue was only about 70 percent full).

But other than the venue and date, not much has changed.

We get it. This ain’t Van Halen; it’s a brand-new, distinct band that’s looking to the future and looking to hype its album. But playing virtually the same set list for three months is lame. Maybe it’s a good way to sell records, but it’s a terrible way to sell a band.

The Southern California party rock of the band’s debut album is what Van Hagar fans have wanted for years. From the guitar histrionics of the furious “Avenida Revolution” to the grooving, metallic chug of “Oh Yeah” to the almost Chili Pepper-ish funk of “Soap on a Rope,” the songs rocked as hard as Van Hagar can rock.

But why bloat the set with 11 of 12 cuts off the debut album? It’s too much of an only OK thing. And when there’s little to no deviation from night to night, it makes the shows indistinguishable from one another.

Sammy, you got a righteous rhythm section and an ace shredder behind you. Let them off the chain and reward your die-hards with a little “Best of Both Worlds” or “Mas Tequila” or anything from your back catalog - other than the now-tired first encore of “Bad Motor Scooter.”

The slight surprises of the night came when the band paid tribute to their influences. On “Get It Up,” the guys nicely outroed the song with Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song,” and the final encore of The Who’s “My Generation” was solid, chunky rock. The one big surprise came from Smith’s dirty mouth. Smith proved you can take the Chili Pepper out of Los Angeles, but you can’t take L.A. out of the Pepper. Halfway into the show, the drummer mocked the Celtics [team stats]’ ’09 playoff run and then (gasp!) joked about Larry Bird performing a sex act on him backstage.

It was damn raunchy and a little funny, but it would have been nice to see the band channel some of that raw energy into the set list instead of saving it for the banter. If Chickenfoot is going to be more than a one-off project, the band will need to find some spontaneity in its sets.

Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam opened the night with some retro British blues. It was decent, if unremarkable. The best moment came with the young guitarist Knowles jamming hard on Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’s “Almost Cut My Hair.”

CHICKENFOOT with DAVY KNOWLES AND BACK DOOR SLAM at the Bank of America Pavilion, Monday night.

jgottlieb@bostonherald.com"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Obviously a Sammy hater.No Cabo for you!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know jed, he actually enjoys Sammy and isnt the usual hater writer. I think he has a point about the setlist, its something I think many of us have talked about in other threads. The only thing I didnt like was the 70% full mention...while its true, he isnt really pointing out that most of the shows have been 70% or less capacity this summer

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    From the Boston Herald:

"Chickenfoot lays an egg
    By Jed Gottlieb / Review
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - Added 14h ago

The first time Chickenfoot came to town (May 26), the new supergroup found the tiny Middle East rock club a wee bit confining. Or as Sammy Hagar put it at the gig: “My (expletive) hotel room is bigger than this.”

This time around, Hagar, ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and virtuoso axeman Joe Satriani had more room at their Monday Bank of America Pavilion show. (Maybe too much room, the venue was only about 70 percent full).

But other than the venue and date, not much has changed.

We get it. This ain’t Van Halen; it’s a brand-new, distinct band that’s looking to the future and looking to hype its album. But playing virtually the same set list for three months is lame. Maybe it’s a good way to sell records, but it’s a terrible way to sell a band.

The Southern California party rock of the band’s debut album is what Van Hagar fans have wanted for years. From the guitar histrionics of the furious “Avenida Revolution” to the grooving, metallic chug of “Oh Yeah” to the almost Chili Pepper-ish funk of “Soap on a Rope,” the songs rocked as hard as Van Hagar can rock.

But why bloat the set with 11 of 12 cuts off the debut album? It’s too much of an only OK thing. And when there’s little to no deviation from night to night, it makes the shows indistinguishable from one another.

Sammy, you got a righteous rhythm section and an ace shredder behind you. Let them off the chain and reward your die-hards with a little “Best of Both Worlds” or “Mas Tequila” or anything from your back catalog - other than the now-tired first encore of “Bad Motor Scooter.”

The slight surprises of the night came when the band paid tribute to their influences. On “Get It Up,” the guys nicely outroed the song with Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song,” and the final encore of The Who’s “My Generation” was solid, chunky rock. The one big surprise came from Smith’s dirty mouth. Smith proved you can take the Chili Pepper out of Los Angeles, but you can’t take L.A. out of the Pepper. Halfway into the show, the drummer mocked the Celtics [team stats]’ ’09 playoff run and then (gasp!) joked about Larry Bird performing a sex act on him backstage.

It was damn raunchy and a little funny, but it would have been nice to see the band channel some of that raw energy into the set list instead of saving it for the banter. If Chickenfoot is going to be more than a one-off project, the band will need to find some spontaneity in its sets.

Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam opened the night with some retro British blues. It was decent, if unremarkable. The best moment came with the young guitarist Knowles jamming hard on Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’s “Almost Cut My Hair.”

CHICKENFOOT with DAVY KNOWLES AND BACK DOOR SLAM at the Bank of America Pavilion, Monday night.

jgottlieb@bostonherald.com"
    Another unprofessional review. It is that simple. " Playing the same set list is lame " This band has been only around for what................a few months of touring !!! Are you fucking kidding me. I need to get a job as a " critique " At least I would use my fucking head before I ran my mouth !!! This tells you how lame the music industry really is now. As a consumer I can tell you guys like this are all wrong wich is why they are making $15 / hour and every guy in Chickenfoot are millionares !! That should tell you everything right there. I DON'T want to hear any van halen , I DON'T want to hear anything but what they are playing.. Listening to Chad in the radio interview tells me these guys are being smart about it and they know what they are doing. Chad said that this band is for people who " get it " it is about a new Cult band. Apparently they do because I would have paid twice what I paid to go see this band, they are that good !!
    Last edited by scottfletcher; 08.26.09 at 09:45 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by empyre44 View Post
    I know jed, he actually enjoys Sammy and isnt the usual hater writer. I think he has a point about the setlist, its something I think many of us have talked about in other threads. The only thing I didnt like was the 70% full mention...while its true, he isnt really pointing out that most of the shows have been 70% or less capacity this summer
    With all due respect, I don't know how old this guy is, or how long he has been " reviewing " but he needs to learn a lot ! Most of what he points out .............is pointless ! Doe he have any fucking clue how many band " play the same set list " !!!!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i got to disagree with ya Scott...I dont know what his age or how long he has been "reviewing" has to do with anything. I thought it was a great show but the fact their the set was pretty much the same as the Middle East show annoyed me some. Your right, bands play the same sets not after night...lots of them do it. There is nothing wrong with doing that. Hell ACDC has played the same song for 30+ years and made a lot of money on it

But, I would have liked to see how the group has changed/grown together musically now that they have been on the road for a couple months but really didnt see any of it since it was essentially the same exact set. There is a thread here where people are voicing displeasure over the setlist, listing their "dream" setlist. Does that make them people who don't "get it" either?

by the way...nice clone guitars, they look great. hopefully evh inc doesnt come callin on ya. This one looks amazing though. You do killer work!

Last edited by empyre44; 08.26.09 at 11:47 AM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.05.10 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get It Up is Immigrant Song? Because it rocks and isn't based on
    a major scale. What a genius.