Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Question for Les Paul Owners

Last Night (Friday), I watched a documentary of Les Paul on Milwaukee Public Television. Today (Saturday), I went to Discovery World with my wife and kids and went through teh Les Paul exibit. Very cool to see things I saw in the documetary live and in person. Like the three piece solid guitar and one of his personal Les Paul's (says Les Paul Personal on the truss rod cover), and last but not least they had a couple of guitars from Les Paul celebration events with autographs all over them from some of the greatest guitarists to ever live. Found Eddies autograph on one them from his 90th bitrhday celebration (I think).

Anyways, My question is: When you buy an EVH guitar, you see Eddie play one on stage and yours is just like his. When you see the custom made guitars Les Paul played(in the documentary he states that when he wanted a guitar, he had luthiers custom make his and he did not use or like to play production Les Paul's). His look nothing like a production Gibson Les Paul. In the documentary he states that he was not exactly happy with all the compromises he had to make with Gibson to his original design. Does it change your fellings about signature Les Paul's Like the Ace and Slash models. I don't know, What do you think?
    Last edited by AT; 08.23.09 at 12:23 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess what I am getting at is that - How does it make you feel that Les Paul didn't like, to play at least, the Gibson Les Paul. It is kind of funny, given the lore of the guitar.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Les was real funny that way.
    Ya gotta remember, he more or less invented the electric guitar. So the stuff he was playing over and over, all day was what he was acustomed too.
    Gibson had to produce a guitar "based" on Les Pauls original design that was sutable to the masses.
    There wern't many that could play Les Pauls early designs. What was different, I dont know. Neck. action..ect.
    The SG was Gibsons original Les Paul design and they changed the entire guitar due to Les Paul thinking the shape was "too evil"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

DLR era
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.29.13 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I've seen from pics of Les, most of his personal guitars where a flat-tops that had 2 weird looking pickups. They look like a fat single coil EMG. The guitar had some of the craziest wiring setups I've seen on a guitar, I think on one I've seen he had a 5 way fender style switch where a normal gibson 3-way would have been, tons a toggles and knobs couple of input jacks. It's really cool stuff and I'm curious as to what everything does.

Now my question, is Gibson going to be greedy and see the $ signs and produce a Sig Les Paul (I know sounds weird huh) and if they do. well, that would be a sad day because it would mean that Les had to die to get the real (his) guitar, he wanted out to the masses.

IMO Honestly I can see Gibson doing something like that.
    Last edited by Tapster1984; 08.22.09 at 11:41 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tapster1984 View Post
    From what I've seen from pics of Les, most of his personal guitars where a flat-tops that had 2 weird looking pickups. They look like a fat single coil EMG. The guitar had some of the craziest wiring setups I've seen on a guitar, I think on one I've seen he had a 5 way fender style switch where a normal gibson 3-way would have been, tons a toggles and knobs couple of input jacks. It's really cool stuff and I'm curious as to what everything does.

Now my question, is Gibson going to be greedy and see the $ signs and produce a Sig Les Paul (I know sounds weird huh) and if they do. well, that would be a sad day because it would mean that Les had to die to get the real (his) guitar, he wanted out to the masses.

Yeah, The Gibson "Les Paul" Les Paul. I guarantee this will happen. It wont be cheap either...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Eruption
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

There are so many versions of the Les Paul, you just need to shop around and get the one closest to your liking. Mine is an '89 Standard that I've had refretted with 6100 jumbo frets, added a Suhr Aldrich humbucker, and dropped in a Fishman piezo transducer for acoustic tones.

It's bad ass. LOVE IT.

That being said, I also have a Tom Anderson Drop Top, Divebomb Frankie, EBMM EVH, Fender Kotzen Tele, and my old Mutt -- all of them play great due to modifications and adjustments over the years.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This site has a lot of info on wiring and how his guitars were modified

http://jbwid.com/guitar/lpp01.htm

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjay21 View Post
    Anyways, My question is: When you buy an EVH guitar, you see Eddie play one on stage and yours is just like his. When you see the custom made guitars Les Paul played(in the documentary he states that when he wanted a guitar, he had luthiers custom make his and he did not use or like to play production Les Paul's). His look nothing like a production Gibson Les Paul. In the documentary he states that he was not exactly happy with all the compromises he had to make with Gibson to his original design. Does it change your fellings about signature Les Paul's Like the Ace and Slash models. I don't know, What do you think?
    I might be able to shed a little light on this..to my knowledge when the Les Paul model first came out ('50's Goldtop) he did use these guitars and I believe he mostly used Les Pauls until 1961 when the SG body shape took over...he didn't like that style and stopped using them..after Gibson resumed making the original style Les Paul in the late '60's they allowed him to design a few spin-offs from the original guitar...for example the Les Paul Recording, Les Paul Signature and the Les Paul Personal, which used low-impedance pickups he had pioneered...these guitars were a different shape and the pickups were angled and had a different rounded shape than standard humbuckers. These LP models were not very successful and were discontinued by the late '70's , but I believe Les Paul himself preferred to use them. I hope this helps to clarify, and its possible I may have missed some info, as well..
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

It doesn't bother me b/c it all comes down to what you are
    comfortable playing. It only figures the creator would be less than satisfied
    with production models, but if they work for a number of the masses (as
    mentioned) that is where the success of the line comes in.

Frankly, I would feel dorkey playing anyone's sig model other than an LP
    or a Strat. I suppose that's b/c at this point those names are more of a
    brand than some supposedly individualized product. That said, I'm also
    considering a EVH simply for the D-tuna feature. I digress. But when you also
    consider most LP players are diametrically opposite stylistically of LP the man,
    it further makes sense that some would like what the creator himself does not.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tapster1984 View Post

Gibson already made a "signature" Les Paul in the '70s- low impedance (XLR connection) pickups, odd wiring scheme, semi-hollow (but not 335 semi-hollow), the whole lot. It was a commercial flop, and oddly enough- it isn't one of the LP's that went up stratospherically in value, either. It is probably one of the most uncharateristically LP sounding of all of the LP's.

Would Gibson re-issue that guitar in light of his death? Probably so.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!