Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Your personal guitar heroes

So there's a couple threads revolving around the usual list of "greatest" guitar players that magazines routinely put out and this time it got me thinking about it on a different level.

I'm quite bored with the whole "greatest/most influential/pioneers/world changing/blah blah blah" lists that attempt to rank or name guitarists for all humanity and history. It's pointless.

What I am interested in is this: what guitar players are YOU all about WITHOUT taking into consideration who "good" they are, not taking into consideration whether they "changed the face of music" or how they "inspired a generation" or whatever.

What guitar players do you go to when you want to laugh, cry, celebrate, mourn, get in the mood to write..whatever. What guitar players really do it for you?

Here's a few of mine, in no particular order.

David Gilmour (discovering him late in life...but wow.)

Richie Sambora (granted, he hasn't really "done it" for me since These Days.

Maury Muehleisen (Jim Croce's lead player, the guy's acoustic work is so beautiful and happy, and tragic and humourous all at the same time!)

The Edge (man, I could listen to this guy for days. I love the textures and the thickness of his sound. in his own way, he makes that guitar really cry and howl)

Matthew Sweet and his guys (I found Matthew Sweet many years ago and was blown away by the beatley vibe he and his guitarists create. I have been trying for years to cop his vibe on Ugly Truth and failing the whole time.)

Robert Smith and Porl Thompson (another duo that blows me away. I love how ethereal and layered their guitars are. I love how thick and yet airy they sound together.

Mike McCready and Stone Gossard (my favourite from this era, these guys blow me away. They really reinvigorated my desire to play and influenced me to dig into Hendrix and SRV more than I had to that point. I love how they work together)

Ian Moore (this guy is an animal but to be honest, I prefer his work beginning with Green Grass more than his first two records. The guy brings tears to my eyes with not just his guitar but his voice.

James Burton (damn, to be able to play those incredibly melodic multi-string chickenpick lines like he does. Wow. I absolutely love listening to this guy...particularly his work with Elvis.

Steve Cropper (talk about soul. I love listening to this guy when i'm in a great mood.)

Omar Rodriguez Lopez (this is the most interesting guitarist I've heard in a very very long time. I love the cacaphony, the rage, the fire, the passion...man, I get exhausted just listening to him.)

Tom Morello (another guy that really opened my eyes to a new way of playing. I love his cerebral yet primal approach to playing. This guy is out of sight!)

Peter Buck (I'm not the biggest REM fan, but all the songs I really love by them are ones that he really "makes" for me. He's such a wonderful blend of that cool 60s Byrds/folk vibe with a touch of Andy Summers. Very cool player.

Mike Campbell (Tom Petty's longtime side man, he's one of my absolute favourites! Stuff like Breakdown just really really does it for me.)

Nuno Bettencourt (the guy is an absolute monster. I've never heard anyone who has a right hand like that guy. He plays with such a fire and yet refuses to follow the path of the guitar wanker/hero.)

And Finally, The Beatles (that three headed monster is the beginning and end for me. No matter what's going on, no matter where I end up exploring different players, all roads lead back to these guys and how they approached the guitar. I love all three of them and how they individually played.)

So there you go, those are a bunch of the players that really do it for me. Not all of them are monster players in the vein of an Yngwie or a Lynch or Johnson. Not all of them would merrit consideration in some music mag list of greatest ever but for me, those are the guys that sort of come together to form the foundation of my creative identity as a guitarist and songwriter.

What are some of your's?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.12.11 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

dont know most of your list but Tom Morello is on mine as well :P

Here we go!

Joe Satriani: i just love his style of playing and what he does he is my absolute favorite

Paul Gilbert: His songs always make me happy and cheer me up and i love his style.

Tom Morello: Gotta love his energy in his playing!

Angus Young: Rock N Roll just the way i imagine it and want it, always good!

Eddie Van Halen: The SOUND!!!!

Adam Dutkiewicz: If i want something more ''brutal'' this guy is perfect me, the melodies and heavy riffs are just how i would want them

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Benjami View Post
    dont know most of your list but Tom Morello is on mine as well :P

Here we go!

Joe Satriani: i just love his style of playing and what he does he is my absolute favorite

Paul Gilbert: His songs always make me happy and cheer me up and i love his style.

Tom Morello: Gotta love his energy in his playing!

Angus Young: Rock N Roll just the way i imagine it and want it, always good!

Eddie Van Halen: The SOUND!!!!

Adam Dutkiewicz: If i want something more ''brutal'' this guy is perfect me, the melodies and heavy riffs are just how i would want them

I don't know who Adam Dutkiewicz is...I guess he's a "metal" player?

I love Ed a lot too! (obviously, I'm here aren't i!)
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.29.09 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greg Howe - I just love his technique and phrasing and particularly his extreme vibrato

Chris Poland - The guy just writes such amazing melodies

Marty Friedman - For the exotic flair that his playing always seems to have

Allan Holdsworth - Because he's an alien

Vitto Bratta - A lot of what I like about him is clearly EVH inspired, but he had his own spin on things.

These are just the first that come to mind.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damon Johnson.
    Amazing player, amazing songwriter. Wiki him and see who all he has played with or written songs for if you don't know...

Nick "Evil Twin" Cantanese.
    Close your eyes and he could easily make you think he is Zakk Wylde. Super nice guy as well, not to mention my guitar teacher.

Chirs DeGarmo.
    DeGarmo was a linchpin player for Queensryche. I'd say since his departure, the band hasn't been the same-even when they had him guest on a CD. Just the cool stuff he came up with on the guitar....jeez, I don't even know how to put it. Chris just really played his ass off, and hes missed.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post

Mike Campbell (Tom Petty's longtime side man, he's one of my absolute favourites! Stuff like Breakdown just really really does it for me.
    Campbell is ridiculously tasteful and underrated. He always plays exactly the right parts for the song. Never too much or too little.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EVH (He changed my look on guitar playing, and I started playing guitar because of him.)

Paul Gilbert (He is the only shred guitarist I really like. Such a cool person and very knowledgeable. He amazes me.)

Slash (His playing style is nasty, but in a really cool way.)

Dave Matthews (I love his acoustic work and his songwriting skills, to me, are great!)

Eric Clapton (Great blues player, I most relate my playing style to his.)

Jack White (Great songwriter, and he's rock's last hoorah in this world of rap and pop music.)

Ace Frehley (First rock guitarist I ever heard, and the band that would start my love of rock music.)

The Beatles (Great songwriting, lyrical content and all around great music. These guys just topped everyone.)

Stevie Ray Vaughan (Arguably the greatest blues guitarist ever. He plays so aggressive and so precise, you can't help but like him.)

Jimi Hendrix (I love his improv. work.)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.12.11 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yea he's in a metal band called Killswitch Engage, its the only ''real'' metal band i like actually :P
    Here are 2 songs from them if you like to know about his playing:

really helps me improve my guitar playing as well with the fast alternate picking, pinch harmonics all that stuff

end yea its pretty obvious Ed is on our list here :P

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd have to say my Dad ...
    He was an incredible musician and an awesome player.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

EVH...of course
    Andy Summers...tasty TASTY stuff he does...the man proved you could have add9 and sus11 chords and it would still be rock n roll

and some of the others mentioned above, especially David Gilmour.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

06.04.11 @ 06:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone mentioned so far are all quality players but for me it would have to be Les Paul. When my dad put on a Les Paul and Mary Ford LP back when I was a kid I knew that's what I wanted to do. All the other kids got piano lessons but I knew the guitar was for me after hearing Lester play.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Cool thread. I won't list them in any particular order but my top 3 would likely be Hendrix/EVH/Page.

EVH: I was a young and impressionable kid and guitarist when first hearing him. He is the second guitar player who turned my head and got to me with his cool tone, technique and tunes. Even his wild stage antics and freaky guitars seemed out of this world and awesome. Ed has been a huge influence and one I've tried to downplay in my style because I got into it a little too much in my youth.

Hendrix: The first guitarplayer I heard that I became instantly addicted to and craved to know who it was and hear more. I was in 7th grade or something like that and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Purple Haze being the first Jimi tune I've ever heard. Hendrix is a huge influence to me.

Ace Frehley: When I was real young and getting into guitar and rock music Kiss was just coming out. I loved the band and his guitar playing. I loved his solos and still do. He's a simple rock and roll guitarists but I love how he plays.

Randy Rhoads:
    Another exceptional guitarist that got to me and I was addicted to. something about his technique, choice of notes and tunes that just stood head and shoulders above most and I found it hugely inspirational and addictive. I wanted to play like him.

Jimmy Page: One of my biggest influences. Not just cause of his soulful blues/rock/folk/celtic fusion but because of his production ideas as well. The guitar army he built in the studio. The huge sound and layers of emotion and guitar harmonies really helped create something amazing. I can't say enough about Page.

Al Dimeola: A friend turned me onto him in highschool. I loved his music and style right away. This was worlds different than a lot of the rock stuff I was into. Made me rethink my limits and focusing too much on one genre of playing.

Andre Segovia: As a teen I started taking classical lessons and fancied maybe going to college for it. My father being the eternal great dad and friend brought home a bunch of Segovia and told me "Here is a master guitarist to study". I was stricken right away with the beauty and mastery of his playing. I didn't go on studying classical but it's still a favorite of mine as is Andre.

Yngwie Malmsteen: He melds hard rock with classical and when I first heard him he blew me away. Shortly after I bought a bunch of tapes or cds from Shrapnel records etc of neo classical type players...though many were great non had the tone and imo creativity and heart that Yngwie did. People bust on the guy but I love his ferocious and amazing style. Still a favorite of mine.

Steve Vai: The drummer in my highschool band went to Berkley in Boston. On summer break came back with tapes with all types of players on them. One that stood out to me was this guy called Steve Vai and a tune called the Attitude Song. Never heard of him b4 that. This was b4 he joined DLR. I wasn't a big enough fan of Zappa to have heard him. Right away I dug his eclectic and interesting twist. I became of a huge fan and he became an inspiration because everything I heard from him from then on was fantastic.
    Not just impressive technique wise but composition and emotions etc..it just strikes me.

Satriani: When Satch boogie was big on the radio I bought "Surfing with the alien" and saw him live that tour. Right away I could tell that his compositions and note choices were heads and shoulders above many of the shredders/show offs of the time. His tone was huge live and performance was flawless. I was big into him for several years and have remained a fan but have not followed his solo career much after the late 90's. Lost interest, he became less interesting to me but a fan, he inspired me and I like what he did with Chickenfoot.

Tony Iommi: I still do but I loved Sabbath in high school. Tony is the riff master. He has come up with a wealth of them and he definitely inspired me on multiple levels.

SRV: Amazing technique and played with such tasteful heart.

A huge selection of old Blues Players..Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, Buddy Guy, etc etc

These are all mostly players I've dug from an early single digit age/teens until now. Honorable mention would be Judas Priest. Early Def Leppard(when young..On Through the Night and High and Dry were favorites of mine...after that they became poppy and I started losing interest). ACDC, Rolling Stones.

Guys I have gotten into later in life with new respect.

George Harrison:
    I love his style. His song writing and soloing is fantastic. Tasteful, melodic and interesting.

Prince:
    Amazing musician and guitarist. His latest release Lotus Flow3r is the best guitar oriented CD I've gotten from anyone in years. I'm a big fan of funk also and he's tasteful and creative on so many musical genres that alone is inspirational... but his compositions and playing is also inspiring and a personal favorite of mine.

I could go on, thats enough. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EVH - No better guitar tone, and songwriting is way above the other technical guitarists.

Eric Johnson - Unique tone, technically flawless, greatest all around player.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Awesome technique, over the top solos, and attitude to spare.

Jimi Hendrix - Amazing interpretation of blues, and studio albums showed continual progression

Prince - Severely underrated guitar player, overall supertalent.

The Beatles - simply the best, their talents will never be duplicated.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Frankenstrat View Post
    Dave Matthews (I love his acoustic work and his songwriting skills, to me, are great!)

That he is. Not only is Dave brilliant in his own right, but combined with Tim Reynolds?? Fughetaboutit!!! If people only knew.................

Have seen Dave and Tim together 4 times and was blown away each time. The amazing talent and chemistry displayed on Luther College and Radio City says it all.

My list would coninue with:

Alex Lifeson
    Eddie VH
    Jimmy Page
    Brian Setzer
    The Edge
    David Gilmour
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Adam D is incredible. He writes for and plays in Killswitch Engage. He also records and produces most of their stuff. That is literally the heaviest band I listen to, because they maintain an extremely high level of musicality, while being heavy. Their stuff is not just drop C chugga chugga scream, etc.