Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.15.11 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

question with effects loop / high gain amps

Now I know they state the effects loop falls between the power amp and the pre-amp stage in a guitar amplifier...so well use the 5150/6505 as our test subject!

Peavey recommends to NOT put distortion/gain altering pedals into the loop...how does this apply to say a multi effects pedal like the Pod X3 or the Boss GT-10? Does the same rule apply? Or can you use the multieffects through the loop as long as you don't use the "gain altering" features?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Halen_Fanatic View Post
    Now I know they state the effects loop falls between the power amp and the pre-amp stage in a guitar amplifier...so well use the 5150/6505 as our test subject!

Peavey recommends to NOT put distortion/gain altering pedals into the loop...how does this apply to say a multi effects pedal like the Pod X3 or the Boss GT-10? Does the same rule apply? Or can you use the multieffects through the loop as long as you don't use the "gain altering" features?
    You can put whatever you want in the loop, but it's not the greatest idea to boost the level in the loop too much. That's why they say not to put overdrive pedals there -- it will only push more signal into the phase inverter and power stage... which isn't how the circuit is meant to work. The actual master volume control on these amps is located right near the effects loop, so really what the master volume is doing is controlling how much preamp signal goes into a fixed volume poweramp. If you stick some OD pedal in there that pushes the preamp signal past what it would be if you had the amp's volume control cranked, then you can have obvious problems with overloading the power section.

So I'd say it's safe to use distortion modelers or whatever in the loop -- just make sure it is only altering the tone, not boosting the overall signal level.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I used to use a Pod xt in the loop of my 5150. The distortions sounded terrible there, as they should because you wouldn't ever put any type of distortion in an effects loop, so yes the same rule would appy. The pod x3 should sound good in your effects loop as long as you use the stuff you would normally use there.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.29.09 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ran an OD pedal in the loop of my 5150 for a little while. it was fehking ridiculous. It was the fattest, juiciest sound I ever had, but the feedback and noise was just insane. I couldn't make it work.

I wasn't much for convention at the time, I would try anything. I probably wouldn't do it now for fear of destroying my amp.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Iv'e used my Zoom in the effects loop on the crunch channel and approximated the gain of my old Marshall, and it sounded kinda cool on the Rat Pedal setting of the Zoom, and it sounded kinda cool. Kinda like the Stevie Ray Tube Screamer sound with the nice reverb and I added a bit of the harmonizer from it. Gave it that real nice In Step era tone. On the lead channel, it was real obnoxious though. Just sounded terrible.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

I used to use an older DOD multi-effects pedal in the effects loop of my 5150 Combo. As long as you keep the Amp and Cabinet simulators off, as well as Overdrive, Distortion or Gain altering effects off, you should be fine.

My particular method is to put all time-based effects in the effects loop, and boost or E.Q. pedals in front of the amp. I've tried delay and chorus in front of the amp, but I prefer the sound of them in the effects loop. The only non-time based pedal I have in the effects loop is my BBE Sonic Stomp.

That leads me to a question that I have. I have never used any kind of noise suppressor pedal in my 5150 Combo. I've always just lived with the noise the amp produces in it's static state. Noise Suppressor pedals all show them being in front of the amp, but would it tame the 5150 noise if you put it in the effects loop, or would the negative effects (loss of sustain/tone) be such that it would not make it worthwhile?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.