Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Them Crooked Vultures

Them Crooked Vultures
    Comprising vocalist and guitarist Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), Led Zeppelin bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones, and percussionist Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters frontman and former Nirvana drummer). Alain Johannes from Queens of the Stone Age also performed live with the trio at their first show in August 2009.

http://www.myspace.com/crookedvultures
    http://forum.themcrookedvultures.com...isplay.php?f=2
    http://themcrookedvultures.com/
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.12.11 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

im really stoked for this band, too bad i didnt have any money because ifi would i would have been there in amsterdam last night

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm very intrigued by this group.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

John Paul Jones for the block.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    John Paul Jones for the block.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave Grohl said he's had a hard-on for 6 months because of this project.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

There are a variety of clips available here, ranging from passably audible to outright dreck. Included is the Pukkelpop mentioned below.

Them Crooked Vultures Rock Amsterdam, Hint at Pukkelpop Gig

Them Crooked Vultures performed their second concert yesterday, August 19th, at Amsterdam’s Melkweg club, treating the Dutch crowd to an 80-minute set stocked with the hard-rocking songs crafted by Queens of the Stone Ages’ Josh Homme, Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl and Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones. The band has only offered up about 30 seconds of “Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I” on their YouTube page, but now thanks to the miracles of technology, full video of the Vultures performing their song “Dead End Friends” in Amsterdam is on the Net (after the jump).

While the band’s next official concert will be on Monday, August 24th at London’s Islington Academy (Update: Contrary to reports, the Islington Academy website denies the Vultures are playing there), that sneaky little Google Earth function on Them Crooked Vultures’ Website has marked its X over Hasselt, Belgium, the site of this weekend’s Pukkelpop Festival. The Vultures aren’t yet listed on the Pukkelpop Website, but the site does hint at a surprise guest that will take the stage today.

“Observant visitors to our website must have noticed that there’s a rather large gap in the Marquee timetable between Wilco and Beirut on Thursday,” the Pukkelpop site writes. “To make the already impressive line-up even more spectacular, Pukkelpop has a surprise act in store. Do not expect any hints, tips or clues from us. We can only promise that you will be astounded by our 100 percent surprise act.”

Message board rumors have also begun spreading that Them Crooked Vultures might take part in next weekend’s Reading and Leeds Festivals in the U.K., but nothing has been confirmed. We’ll settle for an announcement of a U.S. tour or a release date for the Vultures’ first album, which rock’s new supergroup worked on over four years.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...pukkelpop-gig/

A review of the August 10 show from the Chicago Tribune.

Concert review: Them Crooked Vultures at Metro

The term “super group” gets thrown around way too often in rock, but in the case of Them Crooked Vultures, it applies.

The group consists of the Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl on drums, Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme on guitar, and Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones on bass and keyboards. The trio made its international debut and capped off Lollapalooza weekend in Chicago with a 75-minute performance that began at midnight Monday at a jam-packed Metro.

Grohl discussed his hopes for the group as many as four years ago, and the three have been working on an album in Los Angeles this year. But the music has been a mystery; none of the tracks has leaked on the Internet, and the group’s future plans are shrouded in secrecy. After debuting a dozen songs at Metro, the group made it very clear that it’s not only for real, but also has the chance to be the exception to the super-group rule. Most of these Frankenstein projects usually end up being less than the sum of their parts, but Crooked Vultures sounded like it was on to something fresh, invigorating and just plain nasty.

Grohl is in many ways the linchpin. One of the great drummers in rock, he was the man who put the wallop in Nirvana, and also anchored the finest Queens of the Stone Age album, “Songs for the Deaf” (2002). His work on this night was astonishing, a clinic in brute force and finesse that was exhilarating and exhausting to observe at close quarters.

Homme handled lead vocals and guitar, and was unusually clear-eyed and affable, playing with more precision than he usually musters in Queens. And Jones, whose music with Led Zeppelin is an obvious touchstone for both his bandmates, was a huge presence with his variety of four-, six- and eight-string basses, a match for Grohl’s power and a counterpoint for Homme’s melodies. The group was rounded out by Queens alumnus Alain Johannes on guitar.

The set’s foundation was hard rock and hard edges, with Jones and Grohl going toe-to-toe in the engine room. Homme played more with texture and layering sounds on his guitar, the first memorable riff showing up four songs into the set on “Dead End Friends.” His high vocals were often bolstered by harmonies from Grohl, Johannes and even Jones. There were a couple of red herrings: “Bandoliers”” flirted with tenderness (Homme introduced it as a love song) and “Interlude w/ Ludes” came off as a prank, with Jones on keytar and a shimmying Homme in lounge-crooner mode. Otherwise, it was wrecking ball time, with the arrangements sometimes taking several turns before resolving.

Two epic tracks stood out. “Daffodils,” which hinted at psychedelia with reverb effects on the vocals and a massive bass tone, was capped by a Jones piano solo. And “Warsaw” ebbed and flowed, winding down to a low-key guitar-bass exchange before building back up into a slamming finale.

History tells us that super groups usually don’t last very long. But at least this particular one is off to a rousing start.

greg@gregkot.com

Them Crooked Vultures set list at Metro:

Elephants
    New Fang
    Scumbag Blues
    Dead End Friends
    Bandoliers
    Mind Eraser
    Gunman
    Daffodils
    Interlude w/ Ludes
    Caligulove
    Warsaw
    Nobodys Loves Me
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

this just in...

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Last Online

Them Crooked Vultures Join Arctic Monkeys for Surprise London Show

One of the hottest bands in the world made their London debut last night as the openers for Arctic Monkeys at the Brixton Academy. Billed cryptically as “very special guests,” the secret was clearly out as a line wrapped around the block with fans eager to catch a set by new supergroup Them Crooked Vultures. At 7:50 GMT John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme casually assumed the stage as any opening band might, before rocking the theater with just under an hour of ear splitting, foot stomping, unadulterated rock.

Offering nothing more than a simple “hello” from frontman Homme, the band immediately launched into “Elephants,” beginning with a Led Zep-inspired bluesy guitar riff and thumping bassline before doubling to a speed that resembled Homme and Grohl’s respective outfits. The trio, who were joined by Queens of the Stone Age guitarist Alain Johannes, then broke out “Dead End Friends” and the droning hard rock “Gunman” both of which call to mind QOTSA material but with the amps turned up to 11 and Dave Grohl beating the drums within an inch of their life.

Homme kept crowd interaction with the 5,000 lucky fans packed inside the quaint venue to a minimum — they were the support act after all — saving his voice for melodic vocals on tunes like “Mind Eraser (No Chaser).” Many of the Vulture’s tunes took a number of meandering turns as they progressed, shifting styles and time signatures. The fifth song, “Caligulove” was a throwback psychedelic number with John Paul Jones blaring Hammond organ sound from his keyboard.

The Vultures played with an deafening intensity that brought the Monkeys out to watch from a back corner of the stage. Their strongest tune was “Daffodils,” which features a driving riff that had a whiff of Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song” before Jones switched to the keys for a dreamy, classical, prog rock ending. The Vulture’s then moved on to the catchy, toe tapping “New Fang” which again showcased Homme’s vocals.

The one-hour set wrapped up with “Nobody Loves me, And Neither Do I,” another bluesy number featuring Jones on the 12-string slide guitar, followed by an untitled eight-minute sprawling epic. The closer featured multiple mood changes, wandering from jazzy slap bass interludes with swinging drums and lounge singer vocals to raucous hard rock sections. It was more of a novelty tune than a cohesive rock anthem but still a hell of a lot of fun.

“We had a lovely time, we hope you had the same,” Homme told the crowd as the band soaked up the rapturous applause before leaving the stage as casually as they had assumed it. It was an epic night in the rapidly unfolding history of perhaps the next great “supergroup,” a term that in this case may be justified.

Exactly where Them Crooked Vultures will land next is anyone’s guess although after appearances at three festivals in the Neatherlands and Belgium last week speculation is brewing about a possible slot at the Reading & Leeds festival. For now fans will have to keep up with the healthy rumor mill and hope they find themselves in the right place at the right time.

Set List:

1. Elephants
    2. Dead End Friends
    3. Gunman
    4. Mind Eraser (No Chaser)
    5. Caligulove
    6. Daffodils
    7. New Fang
    8. Nobody Loves Me, And neither Do I
    9. Untitled

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...e-london-show/

Last Online

Them Crooked Vultures Unleash First Single “New Fang,” Add Dates

10/26/09, 12:57 pm EST

Them Crooked Vultures have unveiled the studio version of “New Fang,” the first single off their self-titled debut album, over at twt.fm today. The supergroup — Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme, Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl and Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones — blend the heavy, jammy and psychedelic influences of their respective bands, and with Homme on lead vocals, “New Fang” sounds like it wouldn’t be out of place on a Queens of the Stone Age album. The track opens with a few blissful seconds of Grohl’s monster drumming and launches into a groove propelled by Jones’ wandering bassline and a crunchy guitar riff that’s comparable to Zeppelin’s Physical Graffiti rocker “The Wanton Song.”

The stream of “New Fang” is currently linking to an Amazon MP3 store page where fans can download the track for 99 cents, however Amazon says the song won’t be available for purchase until November 3rd. As Rolling Stone previously reported, the self-produced, 13-track Them Crooked Vultures will be released on November 17th, just three months and one week after the band made their surprise live debut in Chicago following this year’s Lollapalooza.

From there, the Vultures traveled Europe playing surprise gigs at festivals before finally flying back over the Atlantic for their first stateside tour, including gigs at Austin City Limits and New York’s Roseland Ballroom (read our review of the show here). In addition to concerts in the U.K., Germany and Australia on tap this year, the Vultures also announced some West Coast concerts, including the band’s first in California, in November. Check out the dates below:

Nov. 17 – Los Angeles, CA @ Wiltern Theater
    Nov. 19 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theater
    Nov. 21 – Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theater
    Nov. 22 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...ngle-new-fang/

Holy shit, check out this teaser of the track "Elephants"!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

edit

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for posting those Craig. I'm getting kinda worked up about this release.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I had a chance to see these guys at Austin City Limits a few weeks ago and was planning on doing so but they played Friday night instead of Sat or Sun. I got to Austin on Friday and just couldn't get over there in time to see them. Heard they were unbelievable. So bummed I missed them.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Them Crooked Vultures have leaked their album to Youtube a week early for people to listen to before possibly buying it. I must say I am on song 8 right now, but is such epic sounding album. To me it is part Zeppelin and part downright weird in a cool sort of way.