Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Vintage Replacement Floyd Bar Collars

Hey all. There have been a couple of posts as of late bringing up the general disdain for the current threaded Floyd Rose collars. Some love em', some hate em'. I personally can not stand them. It's not a major issue but there is just something about their "feel" that I don't like. For one, their too tall. I've modified some by cutting some length from the bar, and redrilling and setting the retaining pin, but they still feel too damn rigid to me. Eddie actually backs off the whole assembly to get that sort of feel that he liked with his 5150, which had almost an inch of play up and down. Mine's sloppy too with about as much play. I'm not proposing that people should have their bars that sloppy, but my intention is to make some stainless steel versions of the old collar/bar design that would retrofit into the modern floyds. They would be great for a replica to give it that period correct look, but also be totally functional for those looking for the original design. Again, I'll make them as exact as possible sans chrome complete with the split rear retaining nut. For those looking for chrome, it's not out of the question, I have access to a chromer locally, but as these would be fairly low production as I'll be making them by hand I'll have to fenagal a deal with him, and it may cost a little extra, but polished stainless would still be shiney enough nonetheless. I could also offer the bar bent and angled to spec. Again it will be stainless. Let me know what you guys think it would be worth to you. Remember, it will be a relatively low production piece. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just trying to aid people as well as myself with a part that has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth.
    Later.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

I'd be interested, seeing as how you can't find the old ones, and I refuse to use those shitty collared ones.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

You'd be the first guy I'd send a prototype to! Given that we share the same opinion of them. It'll be a little while before I'm up and running, but they will be extremely close to the original. I have a first run original that is beat to hell appearance wise, missing chrome around the bar and all, but seriously, it still works as well as the day I first got it. Even the knife edges are still in good condition. I'm a steel fabricator so I know what I'm doing, but my new shop is so small and can be a little restrictive productivity wise, but I figure to produce these upon request should be fairly easy. I don't want to infringe on any patents or liscences obviously, so they'll have to be by direct request only. I've done a little research, and it looks like Wilkinson of all people have rights to the collar design though slightly different from the Floyd version. One thing that would come in handy though is some pics of the original nylon bushing. Mine was history in 87' and at the time there was no replacements all that available, hell there was no internet back then! I used thin brass washers in place of the nylon, but I can't remember if the nylon was just like a washer, or if it had a lower ring that passed into the plate. Iv'e cruised the net and have not been able to see any pics for these as of yet. Do you still have the original washer in place Brett?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.