Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Default Cables/Cords thread

What instrument cables do you recommend?

Which are the most durable in your experience?

Is it worth it to spend more $ for Monster, George L, etc?

What is best bang for your buck?

----------------------

I've always used cheap cables and I've been happy with them. But maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. In the last few years I started buying Live Wire cables. They are pretty cheap, about $1 per foot. The only reason I used those was that they were the cheapest ones that you can exchange at Guitar Center is they stop working. However now I don't live near a Guitar Center so I'm thinking about getting something different, hence this thread.

Thanks in advance for any info/opinions
    Last edited by gageroo; 08.13.09 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added more
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the short answer is YES it's always worth buying good cables.
    i always use either george l's, yellow jackets or elixir cables, the elixir's being my personal favourites right now. They (and other good quality cables) maintain you tone much better, theres less interfearence, better mid range and high's.....would you spend thousands of dollars on a car and put cheap tyres on it?......same with a guitar.....good guitar....good strings...good cables...good amp....good results
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gageroo View Post
    In the last few years I started buying Live Wire cables. They are pretty cheap, about $1 per foot. The only reason I used those was that they were the cheapest ones that you can exchange at Guitar Center is they stop working. However now I don't live near a Guitar Center so I'm thinking about getting something different, hence this thread.
    I discovered the guarantee on them, so I have been using them exclusively for a while now. They are decent quality, decent price, and I don't have to worry about having to be able to pay for new cables every few days (if they go).

I would say that the best cable period (although I don't think having a super expensive cable matters much at all tone wise) is Mogami. Their stuff is top notch, and I think they also have a lifetime guarantee, just like the live wires.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've been meaning to start a thread about this forever! Bang for the buck, i say Belden has been an industry standard. Spectraflex are reported to be very good, though expensive. Monster.....Ehhh. Not so spectacularily different to warrant their price tag . Allesandro seem quite good as do Vovox. Now the absolute worst hands down are Yorkville.....at least at the moment. I bought some recently on reccomendation from a staffer at my store. Upon using them for less than two months I've come to the conclusion he must have been on one of those sales incentive contests. I hope he had a good trip to the Bahamas! They are the worst cables EVER. They are medium priced. They look very well made, and come with silicon rubber jackets over the connector housing too which run down the cable about three inches which helps alieviate sharp angle breaks. Well the whole cable is absolute garbage. After regular use, they crackle and pop, and drop out completely at different tensions. I ended up unsoldering the cable from the jacks and reusing them as their the only redeaming part, making my own from a roll of Belden cable from a kit. Jeez. At least I got cables, but talk about the hard way.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wireless.

Doesn't matter how many times I hear how a wireless "robs you of your tone" or whatever.
    IMO, ALL cables suck.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Wireless.

Doesn't matter how many times I hear how a wireless "robs you of your tone" or whatever.
    IMO, ALL cables suck.
    Good point. (I'm still looking for a good, affordable unit.)

But gee Dino, all cables suck? Do you use a separate wireless from pedal to pedal too?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gageroo View Post
    What instrument cables do you recommend?

Which are the most durable in your experience?

Is it worth it to spend more $ for Monster, George L, etc?

What is best bang for your buck?

----------------------

I've always used cheap cables and I've been happy with them. But maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. In the last few years I started buying Live Wire cables. They are pretty cheap, about $1 per foot. The only reason I used those was that they were the cheapest ones that you can exchange at Guitar Center is they stop working. However now I don't live near a Guitar Center so I'm thinking about getting something different, hence this thread.

Thanks in advance for any info/opinions
    I currently use Planet Waves. I find them durable. Not too expensive as well.

Also check out PW picks. They are AWESOME.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

+1 on livewire... they replaced one my dog ate.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my entire rig is all mogami cable. i get bulk from redco audio and its a great price. i either use redco connectors or switchcraft. i personally have nothing agaisnt solderless but theres gotta be a reason no rack builders use it. if i dont make my own cables like my long runs out front i still urchase pre made mogami cables.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    But gee Dino, all cables suck? Do you use a separate wireless from pedal to pedal too?

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I actually had one of these go bad!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'd like to point out that no one as of yet has endorsed Monster. And I think that's about right. Perhaps in the past they were all they were cracked up to be, but I've seen so many go bad in recent years it's ridiculous. I recall one studio client a couple of years ago, using a Monster to connect his keyboard, claim there was no way it could be his cable when we were having signal problems--because "it's a Monster." Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I checked literally EVERY other cable and connection, including the patch bay and pre-amp. Guess what? It was the Monster (the cable I wanted to check FIRST!). And that's just one example...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hehehehe.

Right now I'm imagining your effects loop setup... a chain of those brass connectors and pedals, all bent in a big U shape hanging off the back of your amp...

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nevermind the ugly guitar standing next to it. This is in 5150 Studio. If the guy that works there uses it, it can't be that bad.

David Gilmour uses Evidence Audio, doesn't he? Kinda like expensive, maybe I'll sell a kidney to buy a couple of them...

Currently I'm using George L's. Kinda bright, keeps a good signal, but I hate the stiffness of the cable. Fortunately I just play at home these days.