Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I need some advice here,& only trust you guys

Ok,I recently flipped a bunch of gear,it was tight,but able to get a Charvel So Cal guitar and I had had enough of (please don't get mad)tube amps.I had been playing a JCM 2000 100 watt head for years,and didn't care for the loud hiss or being careful cause of the tubes.I had a little 15 watt MG Marshall amp in my bedroom that I blazed on and figured I'd get the 100 watt head and it'd be the same.My problem is,I finaly got to use it 2 days ago with my drummer and bass player and,using the one hard overdrive channel,with all the volumes all the way to 11,still had a hard time hearing.I felt like they both wanted to kill me as I changed the sound of the band pretty much and not for the better. I can play on the clean or kinda dirty sound but it sounds like shit.Without you guys yelling at me to go buy another tube amp,what can I do? I thought buy like a Line 6 pedal or something with amp sounds on it,play the amp on clean and use a preset sound from a pedal. Please help,I appreciate your thoughts.Thanks!

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 347 Posts

This is just kind of one of those "live and learn" situations. I think most of us that have played in a band have been through this very same situation. The thing about a Solid State amp, is that it sounds GREAT at home by yourself, but it just can't cut through the mix in a live situation.

Luckily, there is something you can try.

If you can find a cheap, used tube power amp, you can run the effects send of your head to the input of the power amp, and out to a speaker cabinet. Just make sure you have a speaker plugged into the output of the head, or you could lose the power section.

I tried this when I had a little Tech 21 combo amp. The thing sounded great practicing, but it was about a 5 watt amp with a 8 inch speaker. I wanted to see what it would sound like through a 4x12 cabinet, so I plugged it into a 60 watt Peavey tube power amp that was laying around the guitar store. It sounded great.

The truth is, you gotta have tubes.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Little Dreamer DaveRobertsSteal's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you're right....but you know what I mean about being gentle on account of tubes and the hiss.Thanks for the insight,I will try your method!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

I don't quite understand the problem. I use a 5150 head that is notoriously noisy and really in a band setting there is not much noise and hiss thats noticeable/ a hindrance. It's just not very versatile. Maybe if it's cranked and the room is DEAD silent you can hear a hiss but isn't that somewhat normal?
    After all it's a high gain amp cranked. It's certainly not something you can hear when a crowd of people are talking. Definitely not when the band is playing/your playing through it. And even less noticeable when you are only on 4-5 which has been loud enough for most bars and clubs.
    And thats a 5150! Could it be your effects or something are causing extra noise?? Maybe it needs some maintenance? Was it always so noisy with so much hiss?

Also I guess you can't drop your head on the ground because of the tubes(who does anyway) but besides being careful in not setting it down hard I'm not sure what you mean by being gentle?

My 5150 head was bought when they first came out. I've used it a lot at gigs, jams, etc and the thing has never busted a tube on me in transport or setting up or breaking down.

Good luck. I don't think you should rule out Tube amps for the reasons you mention. You just need a better one or sort out whats wrong with yours.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When it comes to this stuff, Im a moron.
    But would some sort of noise gate help?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    When it comes to this stuff, Im a moron.
    But would some sort of noise gate help?
    Or maybe a conditioned power supply?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there is no such thing as a high Gain amp like a JCM 2000 or others that will not hiss or creeks at band level, none, specialy tube amps.

If you're looking for NO HISS..play a Fender Reverb Deluxe 65 Reissiue..only one i heard with no hiss..but it's 20w tube combo with ZERO GAIN..that's the reason..

I firmly suggest you get back on the horse, learn from your mistake and start hunting a new tube amp quickly..

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 347 Posts

Noise gate would work, but it has a negative effect on your sustain and tone. It's true that, although the hiss, or buzz or whatever you hear in your basement sounds bad/loud, when you are playing live with the band, you barely notice it, if you notice it at all. The only time you would hear it, is between songs, but usually not even then.

You may want to try setting the gain on your amp lower, and using an overdrive pedal to get your thick gain when you want it. It helps reduce the noise, and makes the rig sound more toneful IMO.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ahhh! Ok,thank you for the responses everyone....that's what I needed. I will get back on the horse.Thank You!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

U guys must think I'm a rookie player with these questions but I have a new one...is anyone familiar with the Ibanez TBX 150 Head? I was gonna try to unload that hunk o' shit Marhall MG head I got and get this. It should be loud enuff and have bite.Ur thoughts? Also,if I have to get my JCM 2000 off consignment at the store,does anyone have any idea of what the cost would be to tune it up? And please don't tell me to just go get the JCM head back hahahahaha! I'd like to hear from anyone that knows bout that Ibanez head.Thanks guys!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Marshall MG stuff is god awful.

I play a solid state amp in my band and not only does it cut through the mix beautifully but I can only take it to about 5 without blowing everyone off the stage. Granted, it's a 220 watt 2x12 combo so there's a lot of juice there.

I only use the clean channel and run pedals for distortion, as well as other effects.

If you want to continue working with a solid state amp, check this one out:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-LS-...96-i1322635.gc

I might pick one up myself because I would like to have a head and cab.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.