Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Pickup mounts on an Ernie Ball EVH/AXIS

I've never had the chance to pull one apart, so I'm hoping some one can enlighten me...

How are the pickups mounted on the music mans? I'm assuming that the pickup legs are sitting right on the bottom of their routed cavity, with no shims or springs right? So the body is just carefully routed to the right depth so they sit the right height under the strings?

Also, how much space is there between the back side of the pickup, and the bottom of the pickup route? Is the route flat, so the legs rest on it, and the pickup baseplate is off of the wood? Or is the entire pickup contacting the wood?

Thanks in advance.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pickups are mounted direct to the bottom of the cavity ... no shim, springs, foam, or anything.

The legs provide space between the bottom of the cavity and the baseplate, so the baseplate does not make full contact with the wood ... just the legs.

I actually experimented with a "contact shim" on my Star guitar so the entire baseplate now makes full contact. The guitar sounds SO MUCH better than it used to, but it's hard to tell if that's due to the pickup mounting or the harder finish, since I had to repaint it.

I'll have to experiment a bit more.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    The pickups are mounted direct to the bottom of the cavity ... no shim, springs, foam, or anything.

The legs provide space between the bottom of the cavity and the baseplate, so the baseplate does not make full contact with the wood ... just the legs.

I actually experimented with a "contact shim" on my Star guitar so the entire baseplate now makes full contact. The guitar sounds SO MUCH better than it used to, but it's hard to tell if that's due to the pickup mounting or the harder finish, since I had to repaint it.

I'll have to experiment a bit more.
    Ok thanks a lot, that's what I thought.

Are the legs the same length as regular Dimarzio pickups?

I've done some shims like you have to get a super direct mount, and although it sounds good, for my next guitar, I really want that music man sound that I love so much... maybe that 'air' between the baseplate and the wood helps a little.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I've never had the chance to pull one apart, so I'm hoping some one can enlighten me...

How are the pickups mounted on the music mans? I'm assuming that the pickup legs are sitting right on the bottom of their routed cavity, with no shims or springs right? So the body is just carefully routed to the right depth so they sit the right height under the strings?

Also, how much space is there between the back side of the pickup, and the bottom of the pickup route? Is the route flat, so the legs rest on it, and the pickup baseplate is off of the wood? Or is the entire pickup contacting the wood?

Thanks in advance.
    Hey I was just headed into the shop and saw your post. They are flat at the bottom. The pickups are just screwed right in. They are like that on the Peaveys too. The depth on the peavey's are just different because the neck sits higher on the peavey than the ernie ball's.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Ok thanks a lot, that's what I thought.

Are the legs the same length as regular Dimarzio pickups?

I've done some shims like you have to get a super direct mount, and although it sounds good, for my next guitar, I really want that music man sound that I love so much... maybe that 'air' between the baseplate and the wood helps a little.
    The legs on the stock axis pickups are the same as all their pickups.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok great, thanks Scott!

Since I'm getting a Wolfgang neck (basically) and using a Peavey Trem, I'll just have to mount the neck and floyd and string up the guitar before I route the cavity depth. That way I should be able to get it perfect.

Does the EVH/AXIS have the usual 1/16" distance between the pickups and the strings?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok great, thanks Scott!

Since I'm getting a Wolfgang neck (basically) and using a Peavey Trem, I'll just have to mount the neck and floyd and string up the guitar before I route the cavity depth. That way I should be able to get it perfect.

Does the EVH/AXIS have the usual 1/16" distance between the pickups and the strings?

1/16" ?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1/16" ?
    I thought I heard somewhere that was the string to pickup space on those guitars....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I thought I heard somewhere that was the string to pickup space on those guitars....
    Don't know but that seems pretty damn close to the string. I've played a few of them, and it did'nt scream at me that they were that close, and I tend to look at stuff like that. I usually run about a 1/4" from the string on guitars with hotter pickups or else you get that weird oversaturation/dropoff kind of sound. Especially Dimarzios. I've used their PAF Pro's, Fred's Air Norton's, and they all exhibit this kind of sensitivity. It doesn't sound right when doing fast runs, or string skipping, especially on a high gain amp such as a Soldano or 5150. Kind of hard to explain, but you know it when you hear it.: Some guys run real close, but it usually seems to work best for thrash, not melodic runs. The sound tends to suffer. With my SG, I run a 57 Classic in the neck, and a Duncan 59' for the bridge. Those I have a bit closer due to the lower output, and it works well.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 08.12.09 at 10:31 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You would have to have an AWEFULLY light touch with just 1/16" spacing.
    It's most likely 3/16" - 1/4".

If nobody responds with the exact measurement, I'll check my EvH later on tonight.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You would have to have an AWEFULLY light touch with just 1/16" spacing.
    It's most likely 3/16" - 1/4".

If nobody responds with the exact measurement, I'll check my EvH later on tonight.
    +1 Dino !

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok. I run my custom guitars generally between 1/8" and 1/4" -- 1/4" for hotter pickups. I read somewhere that the EVH had super close pickups though. I remember it because I thought it was strange at the time. I'm glad they don't though.

If anyone has an exact measurement for both sides (if it angles up towards one end), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everybody.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Ok. I run my custom guitars generally between 1/8" and 1/4" -- 1/4" for hotter pickups. I read somewhere that the EVH had super close pickups though. I remember it because I thought it was strange at the time. I'm glad they don't though.

If anyone has an exact measurement for both sides (if it angles up towards one end), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everybody.
    Is this a wolfgang style body? I can just get the exact distance from mine, because you realize the set up of a wolfgang is different than an axis. Neck depth, pickup depth, etc.... the neck on the ernie ball sits deeper in the pocket. The Peavey neck sits higher, therefore the pickups sit higher to accomidate the Peavey design. I will measure it out with calipers for you tomorrow. Don't forget you are going to have to angle your neck pocket too.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    Is this a wolfgang style body? I can just get the exact distance from mine, because you realize the set up of a wolfgang is different than an axis. Neck depth, pickup depth, etc.... the neck on the ernie ball sits deeper in the pocket. The Peavey neck sits higher, therefore the pickups sit higher to accomidate the Peavey design. I will measure it out with calipers for you tomorrow. Don't forget you are going to have to angle your neck pocket too.
    I realize that the wolfgang's geometry is set up a lot different than the axis. I'm kinda going for the feel of the wolfgang, but the sound of an axis.

I'm making a custom body of my own design to go with the neck you're making me, but in order to make it easier for the both of us, my body has the EXACT same neck pocket as a Wolfgang. (I have a Wolfgang special body that I was able to take measurements off of and make templates with.) Also, the pickups and trem are located the same distances from the neck pocket as the wolfgang.

Why would I need to angle the pocket?? The original Wolfgang body that I have has a flat pocket -- perfectly parallel with the flat top of the body.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 08.13.09 at 12:18 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

I realize that the wolfgang's geometry is set up a lot different than the axis. I'm kinda going for the feel of the wolfgang, but the sound of an axis.

I'm making a custom body of my own design to go with the neck you're making me, but in order to make it easier for the both of us, my body has the EXACT same neck pocket as a Wolfgang. (I have a Wolfgang special body that I was able to take measurements off of and make templates with.) Also, the pickups and trem are located the same distances from the neck pocket as the wolfgang.

Why would I need to angle the pocket?? The original Wolfgang body that I have has a flat pocket -- perfectly parallel with the flat top of the body.
    Well, you have a choice of no angle or put a angle in. Yes the production guitars had no agle in the pocket , that is because I discover that they built the angle into the neck ! If you look down the fretboard of a wolfgang you will see the fretboard is gets thinner as you go down the neck. That to me was more trouble then putting in an angle in the pocket. I don't know why they chose to do it that way. I am not going to be building them that way, too much trouble and not necessary. Here is another thing. I discovered on my prototype special wolfgang it has no angle in the neck or the pocket , but oddly enough it sets up fine. So what you can do is go with no angle at all and if you feel you need just a little angle you can shim the pocket wich is what a lot of builders do to their guitars anyway. So you really don't have to angle the neck pocket.