Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Confidentiality agreements

Anyone know if confidentiality agreements are a pretty normal thing when working with a record label?? Should this throw up any red flags?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Hmm...

Here's a question for you: in what capacity are you dealing with this record label? Band member/leader? Solo artist? Songwriter? Something on the production end?

So, to answer your question: yes, but only because I've rarely heard an entertainment lawyer talk about them as standard operating procedure when signing artists. Please bear in mind that I'm not a signed recording artist myself nor am I currently involved in the industry.

Don't get paranoid or anything. Ask the label what this particular confidentiality agreement is needed for. Then, ask someone else who has the same relationship you may have with the label - a band, solo artist, songwriter, etc. - if they have one of these agreements and why.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back in the 80's, I had a friend who was signed to Island Records. He had to sign one as part of his band, though it could have been because his significant other was also an A&R person.

I imagine like any big, competitive industry, its not unusual.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Like so many things in life, the answer to your question isn't a simple "yes" or "no."

It depends on the situation. Confidentiality agreements are becoming more and more common in a lot of industries as are no-compete contracts.

I imagine that confidentiality agreements are pretty common in the recording industry for various reasons, not the least of which would be to protect the label and artist from having tracks leaked to the web as well as to create a safe confidential context for the artist and label to negotiate with other artists on different labels and such.

I'd have to know in what context the agreement was required and what the actual wording includes to form a real opinion.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Get yourself a lawyer, one who deals with these sorts of labour and employment issues. While non-compete contracts are very common in any industry, they are often non-enforceable, especially if the parameters of the agreement are too far reaching...ultimately no employer has the right to prevent you from earning a living in your field of expertise and experience...but there are situations where they would be enforceable too.

I'm not an expert btw but I do have some experience with these things. I've been asked to sign them in the past and my wife just recently had a situation with one. I will not sign one ever again, and I would not want to work for any employer who would dismiss me for not signing one. You are right to be wary...get some good legal advice from a lawyer well-versed in these issues, it will be money well-spent.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    You are right to be wary...get some good legal advice from a lawyer well-versed in these issues, it will be money well-spent.
    ...and there you have it. Talk with a lawyer.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz