Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Toy

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

New Toy

This was just hand delivered by a good friend and the King.

This baby plays sweet and the EVH relic humbucker screams. My God.
    Mounted right into the Ash body.

We went for a Fair Warning era with a few tweeks. A little more relicing than FW but not much. FW is my fav Frank era.

Bridge in a position for proper intonation. The addition of a dTuna.

Waiting on a few reflectors to give it the exact look.

It's got the Original Floyd rose on it that I put on a hondo guitar I converted into a Franky in 1982. lol So the Hondo lives as does the original Floyd! This makes it extra special for me along with the EVH relic and made by a bud.

The paint job is beautiful. My camera sucks but good enough to slap pics online.

I finally have a sweet Franky to satisfy the inner EVH geek in me.
    I'm going to bust this out for VH tunes on gigs with my cover band when the venue is appropriate.(local clubs/bars where tons of friends also VH fans would be at).

To the King of the Frank. Thanks buddy. Always nice to have you over and thanks for being Santa today. lol I felt like a kid on Xmas morning when getting up today. Outstanding and exceptional work!!!

Pre tweek pics
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 08.09.09 at 11:02 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Beautiful!
    Congratz!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"King" EVH? Elvis Van Halen? LOL. That is super sweet AP. You're getting a different set of reflectors you said? Should definately complete the look. And a very well done to The King also. I'm gonna sit and sigh on all these awesome Frankies until mine is done. Also I'm glad to hear all the good things about the relic humbucker too...got one in a box screamin' to get out.
    Last edited by ME100472; 08.09.09 at 11:19 AM.
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

Really nice job! I'm gonna hang my head and cry as I don't have the capability or extra funds to do something this nice and authentic looking (sigh) !! Maybe I'll just give up and build a Chickenfoot guitar instead!!
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ME100472 View Post
    "King" EVH? Elvis Van Halen? LOL. That is super sweet AP. You're getting a different set of reflectors you said? Should definately complete the look. And a very well done to The King also. I'm gonna sit and sigh on all these awesome Frankies until mine is done. Also I'm glad to hear all the good things about the relic humbucker too...got one in a box screamin' to get out.
    The yellow oval ones have the correct square pattern and the other yellow ones are good but I had a choice..wait a short while or get it now with these red left over ones so I opted for NOW. lol Luckily he is local so changing it is easy. One of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever owned. I'm blown away by that. I'm definitely going to order a non replica guitar in the future to have a similar playing axe that doesn't scream replica.

Anyways the EVH relic pickup screams. It's got a tight but wild growl to it..a little more bright than other duncans I've tried. Great clarity and power too. The harmonics pop off. It does have that VH sound to it. The more I play with it and tweek my amps to better compliment it the more I'm blown away. You won't be disappointed with the pickup in look or sound! Grats on getting one. I mainly got it because of it's official and cool limited run deal. I figured it was a good place to start b4 they were all gone or appreciate in value. I figured you can always change the pup later. No changes now this pup is awesome. I don't know if directly mounting it into the ash body helps but wow. I love this axe. I feel like a kid today. lol:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Congrats man! Beautiful, now lets hear some clips of it!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I love this axe. I feel like a kid today. lol:
    Being able to have it hand delivered made it that much cooler I'm sure. Congrats & enjoy!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Thanks for the cool words all. I'll have to do that Jedi.

I've seen people post a ton of pics of their EVH's guits whether it be Wolfs or replicas and drooled lol... so now I'm just sharing in the fun.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Man, the details on that thing are pretty much spec for how I'd paint up a frankie. Never liked the accidental looking blue paint on it. Enjoy!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Man, the details on that thing are pretty much spec for how I'd paint up a frankie. Never liked the accidental looking blue paint on it. Enjoy!
    Cool bud. We are in agreement there. I don't care for the whole replica of a replica thing. It comes down to personal choice.

I love this thing. I know it's a EVH replica guitar but the tone and playability is so sweet I'm blown away. I have nice strats, a nice Page LP, Jems and other guitars. I've tried many sweet guitars over my years. This thing plays so nice and sounds so good it's more than a masterfully painted and reclid replica.
    It's a world class axe. I wish you could try it and see what I'm saying..it's like..holy shit this is nice! hehe I'm not surprised considering who built it but it's starting to sink in how special the work is.

Best of luck with your build man. I'm sure you will create something sweet. There is something special about building something yourself. I don't have the time or more the patience and skill to do so.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks killer !!

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being called "The King" by such a monster player does boost the ego a little.(wait till you hear clips of this nut)
    But to be honest. There are so many of us makin Frankenstrats these days, its hard to keep up the statis. I remember it seemed Duffy and I were the only guys around who made em. And the suck asses back in the day at EVH.com used to call him "The King" Now it seems everyone and their grandmom is doin em up. So I figured I better make em more playable and have a better tone then the next guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Being called "The King" by such a monster player does boost the ego a little.(wait till you hear clips of this nut)
    But to be honest. There are so many of us makin Frankenstrats these days, its hard to keep up the statis. I remember it seemed Duffy and I were the only guys around who made em. And the suck asses back in the day at EVH.com used to call him "The King" Now it seems everyone and their grandmom is doin em up. So I figured I better make em more playable and have a better tone then the next guy.
    Hey Elvis, play somethin' with some balls will ya? LOL!...Ron, the guitar is awesome. Very well done. What's your take on the EVH relic humbucker?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Really nice job! I'm gonna hang my head and cry as I don't have the capability or extra funds to do something this nice and authentic looking (sigh) !! Maybe I'll just give up and build a Chickenfoot guitar instead!!

lol man. With a wife, two kids, and everything that goes with it I feel your pain. Dude I'm 42 and loved VH since I was a child when they were new. This is my first proper EVH replica/guitar. A converted hondo and Kramer Baretta doesn't really count. So when the time is right you know who to go to to get one that will exceed your expectations. If you have the skill, time and talent to do it yourelf thats a awesome way to go too.

IMHO, Don't do the CF guitar. As much as I dig CF I think a few years down the road you will look at that CF logo on a guitar and regret it. Not that there is anything wrong with their logo or the band. Their music and stage show certainly kicks ass but with time and effort spent on that you might as well wait and get something you'd really want. Just squirrel some cash away from time to time if need be, then build one or order one from the man.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post

lol dude. Not a monster but thanks. I learned early on just when you think you have reached some high level of playing and have a false sense of pride in yourself you walk into a music store and some 13 yo kid is sitting there shredding through sweeping arpeggios that would make Malmsteen turn his head. lol Not that you are an accomplished player simply doing flash techniques but it's all about the love of playing and respect/passion for music and the instrument more than all that stuff. I've met and become friends with an 80 yo player that plays at 1 mile an hour and he is one of the most amazing guitar players I've ever met in my life. I have learned more from him over the last few years than anyone.

You guys have to know Ron personally to know how much effort and attention and heart he puts into it. Not just that but he deeply cares about his customers and the quality of his product. He'll take any step to get it just right. Nothing is a hassle. The most stand up easy going person I've ever met that does this type of work. I initially pmed someone who had a sweet factory finish Frank and he suggested I look into Ron. I studied the different pics of various builders here and elsewhere and started to notice how realistic, aged and all that his looked. Then when pming him I noticed he was local. lol So I'm just a big fan of his work, ethics, and passion for this stuff. Not to take away from anyone else but I'm just giving my endorsement whatever that is worth. If I didn't truly think this I would not go on about it. I'm blown away by the total quality.

I'm not building up a friend. I truly think anyone that hires Ron would be thrilled with the product. Not just with the realistic aging and attention to aesthetic detail but the playability and tone. Thats the killer element. There are some unseen things done I can't get into that also make a difference. When it was all pointed out to me I was in awe.

The dude is known for this around here also I've learned. We went to a guitar show a while back and builders knew him and were picking his brain for little facts on various painting and building techniques. The Elvis/King this is appropriate cause after a while I felt like I was hanging with a celebrity. lol It became evident to me how much of a guitar freak Ron is.

So to end this rambling post. Friendship and all that asside..I simply can't get over how cool this Ron built axe is.

This says it all. A neighbor of mine who's older and old school, pre VH flash era and loves vintage strats(digs Hendrix, Clapton and even older players, not a VH fan etc) came by this afternoon to return a pedal he borrowed. I let him try it and he thought it played beautifully. He was stupefied that a private guy put together something with such quality and sound/tone.
    It was funny to see him playing it but very cool to see his excitement.
    I gave him your card Ron. His name is Ted. Doubt he wants a frank lol but he seemed intrigued by the idea of getting something custom made for him.
    I hope he follows through.

Peace all!
    Happy playing , guitar building, and collecting!