Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Default Kids being ticketed for good behavior

I thought this was a cool story. Kids get ragged on a lot all over the place. Some deserve it some don't. Either way I think this will go a long way in any town.

Stonington police issuing tickets for good behavior
    New program rewards youths for positive deeds
    By Joe Wojtas Published on 8/6/2009

Stonington - Over the past month, some youths in town have been surprised to see a police officer suddenly approaching them with a ticket.

But it hasn't been for breaking the law.

Instead, officers have been issuing “positive tickets” to children and teens who exhibit behavior they like to see, such as wearing a bike helmet or helping someone.

The ticket comes with a coupon good for free ice cream, bowling, the movies and other rewards, courtesy of local businesses.

It's an idea that Police Chief J. Darren Stewart recently got after attending an International Police Chiefs Association meeting and hearing a talk by leadership guru Stephen Covey, who talked about the positive-ticket program.

”We're trying to build relationships with kids around town, so when we see them doing something we like, we want to reinforce that,” Stewart said, adding that the program is part of the department's community policing effort.

Stewart said the positive-ticket program is used in other parts of the country and is especially popular in Canada. He said that since beginning the program here, some other area departments have asked him about it.

”This is a test to see how it will work. If it's positive, we'll continue it. So far it's gone pretty well,” he said.

Stewart said officers have so far handed out about 35 tickets recognizing youths who were wearing bike helmets or cleaning up at the Village Fair, among others. One child had called 911 when a relative had a medical problem.

Youth officer Tim Marley is overseeing the program.

Stewart credited the Greater Mystic and Westerly-Pawcatuck chambers of commerce, the Board of Police Commissioners, the Human Services Department, the school system and a group of residents and businesses with helping make the program possible.

The positive tickets look like the typical ticket that a person would receive if cited for speeding. The officer fills in the youth's name and checks a box next to the appropriate citation. The officer writes his or her name and phone number on the ticket for parents to call with questions. The youth can then choose from a selection of rewards.

”It's another tool for our officers,” Stewart said.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

DNR does that here if they see kids wearing their life jackets in a boat. We got pulled just as we launch the boat a couple weeks ago & the officer gave our boys each a T-shirt. We thought it was cool.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like this. I like this a lot. This is the sort of thing I'd like to see police do more of.

Seems like it used to be, and I may be over-romanticizing, but it seems like in the past the local policeman was as much a part of the community as the crossing guard, the lady at the donut counter, the crazy old man on the corner and the school teacher. They knew people's names and people knew them. They weren't just looking to ticket people for misdeeds, they were looking to serve the community in positive ways.

To see police out there reinforcing positive behaviour is what we need more of.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

this is a fantastic idea

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I like this. I like this a lot. This is the sort of thing I'd like to see police do more of.

Seems like it used to be, and I may be over-romanticizing, but it seems like in the past the local policeman was as much a part of the community as the crossing guard, the lady at the donut counter, the crazy old man on the corner and the school teacher. They knew people's names and people knew them. They weren't just looking to ticket people for misdeeds, they were looking to serve the community in positive ways.

To see police out there reinforcing positive behaviour is what we need more of.
    There are a few officers that go to my kids schools every now and then, a D.A.R.E. officer and a few others just to get to know the kids and be a positive reinforcement for them. So much so they know my son by first name and he them when we are out and about around town. And no it's not because he's in trouble all the time.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    There are a few officers that go to my kids schools every now and then, a D.A.R.E. officer and a few others just to get to know the kids and be a positive reinforcement for them. So much so they know my son by first name and he them when we are out and about around town. And no it's not because he's in trouble all the time.
    I never experienced that. The only cops we had in school were the DARE cops that came talking shit about drugs and then in high school they hired cops to come moonlight as hall monitors. I remember one time this one guy went off on a tangent about Ricky Nelson freebasing and crashing his plane.
    The hall monitor usually fell asleep at his post...which was a desk in front of the cafeteria. He never once had to actually do anything...he was there simply to be there. To make our asshole assistant principals feel like they were extending a measure of "security" and "intimidation."

God I hated our school.

The cop ended up getting shit canned because he kept falling asleep and because he felt up a couple girls and they ratted on him. What a bastard.

Back to the story though, honestly, this is the best cop related story I've heard in ages.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a realy cool idea, especially in the age of YouTube convincing people that police officers' sole purpose is to taze you, bro.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hotforteacher921 View Post
    This is a realy cool idea, especially in the age of YouTube convincing people that police officers' sole purpose is to taze you, bro.
    yeah...damn this whole concept of actually documenting police abuse. We really should go back to the days when cops could kill you for whatever reason and get away with it. They really don't need all the attention. It's a distraction really.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

This idea SUCKS! What on earth is wrong with you people. Kids are supposed to behave properly and do what is right, now they get coupons for ice cream and tshirts for just doing the right thing?

When kids do things wrong they should be punished, regularly and harshly so that they are prepared for the real world

If they do the right thing and work hard to improve themselves, they should just be ignored

They should also be forced to walk their fat asses to school uphill both ways.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

it's not an entirely bad idea if it helps kids build a good rapport with law enforcement, but still I worry that it's no longer enough for kids (and a lot of adults) to strive to be "good" simply for goodness sake. There's gotta be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    yeah...damn this whole concept of actually documenting police abuse. We really should go back to the days when cops could kill you for whatever reason and get away with it. They really don't need all the attention. It's a distraction really.
    What I mean is that these abuse videos are, for a lot of people, overshadowing the good things that police do. Not that they shouldn't get attention, they absolutely should, but this idea might help people feel a little less distanced from police officers.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hotforteacher921 View Post
    What I mean is that these abuse videos are, for a lot of people, overshadowing the good things that police do. Not that they shouldn't get attention, they absolutely should, but this idea might help people feel a little less distanced from police officers.
    absolutely. Over the course of recent past, cops have gone from being positive, engaged approachable members of the community to being something like hall monitors and prison guards. They stopped just walking around engaging people and started only interacting with people when a law was being broken.

I think that's the worse possible way to manage a police force.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.