Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

Default Preamp out question on Peavey 5150

I was messing around a minute ago with my 5150 buy running the preamp out (from the back of the amp) into the effects return of my Peavey Classic 30. I kept the speaker load hooked to the 5150 while I was doing this though. It got me wondering...is there a way I can safely run this setup without having a cabinet hooked to the 5150?

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

You should be able to run the effects send from the 5150 to the effects return of the Classic 30 without hurting anything, even with the speaker cabinet hooked up to the 5150. You are simply removing the power amp section from the signal path on the 5150, and the pre-amp section of the Classic 30. None of the controls on the Classic 30 will do anything.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    ...even with the speaker cabinet hooked up to the 5150.
    So I still have to keep a speaker load hooked up to the 5150 if I go that route?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcody5150 View Post
    So I still have to keep a speaker load hooked up to the 5150 if I go that route?
    Yes. Definitely.

Running the 5150 preamp out to your other amp isn't going to cause any damage, but when your 5150 is on, EVERYTHING is on -- the preamp, and the poweramp. So if you unhooked the cab that the 5150 is plugged into, you would be running your 5150 into no load, which would cause the early demise of your output transformer, and possibly power tubes and many other things as well.

The moral of the story is;

NO ONE SHOULD EVER EVEN POWER ON THEIR TUBE AMP WITHOUT A SPEAKER LOAD CONNECTED!

Actually, it's a good habit to get into checking to see if your cab is hooked up even before you plug your amp into wall power.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

yes,regaurdless of tube amp it is amp+no load=Meltdown.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Yes. Definitely.

Running the 5150 preamp out to your other amp isn't going to cause any damage, but when your 5150 is on, EVERYTHING is on -- the preamp, and the poweramp. So if you unhooked the cab that the 5150 is plugged into, you would be running your 5150 into no load, which would cause the early demise of your output transformer, and possibly power tubes and many other things as well.

NO ONE SHOULD EVER EVEN POWER ON THEIR TUBE AMP WITHOUT A SPEAKER LOAD CONNECTED!

Actually, it's a good habit to get into checking to see if your cab is hooked up even before you plug your amp into wall power.
    exactly,thats why all the amps you will play at guitar center sound like shit!

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

I accidently turned mine on without a load at a gig a week ago. I freaked out and turned it off within about 5 seconds. Guess I got lucky, because it survived. Phew.

Actually, what happened was I plugged it into a power board that wasn't yet plugged in itself. Someone plugged it in, and for some reason my amp and standby were both on.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Yes. Definitely.

Darn, that's what I thought. I was hoping there was some way I could get by without having to lug the 4x12 around.

mrjstudios, this is off topic, but do you still have the 2x12 cabs from the 5150 combos that you cut up? How do those sound when you run the 5150 head through them?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Darn, that's what I thought. I was hoping there was some way I could get by without having to lug the 4x12 around.

mrjstudios, this is off topic, but do you still have the 2x12 cabs from the 5150 combos that you cut up? How do those sound when you run the 5150 head through them?
    You'll have to do a little searching but there is some companies that do make a reactive dummy load box so you can run the preamp out of an amp. I used one years ago to run my 5150's preamp out to my VHT power amps. A company I used years ago, Peterson Electronics made a damn good one for me It's actually a fairly simple premise. (I sold mine in 97' though. ) On the unit's input side, it basically reacts the way a speaker does electrically, varriying the voltage resistance so the amp does not overheat, and functions normally. The output if you can call it that is essentially a dissapation circuit and a huge heat sink, with a fan that runs off the stepped voltage, kind of like the Marshall Powerbrake, but with NO output jack. Check with Webber, and see what they have, but there are some cool oldtimer electronic shops that will build you one like mine. I paid around 175.00 for mine. It was'nt pretty, being in a generic project case, but it did the job. If I have some old pics showing it, I'll post 'em.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

You really don't need to lug around a 4x12 cabinet with you. You could just bring one 16ohm speaker with you, and hook it up to the head. It's not going to produce any sound, since the signal path goes to the other amp, but it will impedence match your power section.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do still have them. When I use my full Wet Dry Wet rig, it's MUCH easier to have 3 2x12"s then 3 4x12"s!

I'd say the cabs sound basically like the regular 5150 4x12's. I haven't done a thorough side by side comparison, but I think the 2x12's might sound slightly less full, and cut a little more.

Actually, I'm recording my band's first album right now, so I decided to get one Warehouse Speakers Green Baret (greenback clone), and drop it in one of my cabs for close micing. I'm not entirely sure yet, but I'm starting to be convinced that Ed never used the Peavey cabs in the studio... I think for Balance he used the 5150 into the old Marshall cabs...

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lonnie said ed didnt ever have the peavey speakers in his cabs. even back in the days before he came on board. i dont know how much water this holds but i do know he did start using celestions in 5150 cabs for sure around vh3. i have heard both sides of the story for balance. i can never get my 5150's to get as tight as balance as far as the low end. i get close but not all the way. i am actually in the middle of changing one cab over to celestions to see how i like it and then go from there. figured it would be easier to change 4 speakers first then to change 12 at once and not like it lol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    lonnie said ed didnt ever have the peavey speakers in his cabs. even back in the days before he came on board. i dont know how much water this holds but i do know he did start using celestions in 5150 cabs for sure around vh3. i have heard both sides of the story for balance. i can never get my 5150's to get as tight as balance as far as the low end. i get close but not all the way. i am actually in the middle of changing one cab over to celestions to see how i like it and then go from there. figured it would be easier to change 4 speakers first then to change 12 at once and not like it lol.
    Which celestions?

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, that's what I figured you were going for. The warehouse guitar speakers green barets are pretty cool too...