Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 2,099 Times in 686 Posts

Default Eddie Van Halen Picks the Essential Van Halen Songs

From Spinner.com

Eddie Van Halen Picks the Essential Van Halen Songs

With no official word from Activision on the track list for the upcoming 'Guitar Hero: Van Halen' game, the Web is buzzing with rumors. While Spinner can't confirm any of them, we're pretty sure tracks like 'Spanish Fly,' 'Eruption' and 'Runnin' With The Devil' will be included. What makes us so confident? We heard it from the guitar hero himself, Eddie Van Halen.

When Spinner spoke with Eddie earlier this year, we asked him to pick some of the essential Van Halen tunes, the ones he would suggest to budding VH fans. "I think 'Eruption' is one. 'Spanish Fly,' just because it's the same thing except it sounds like Segovia doing something, it's on a Flamenco guitar. I wish somebody would take that technique and do something with it," he says laughing. "I had no idea it would trip people out to the point that it did."

As one would imagine of a guy who's written some of the most memorable riffs in all of rock over, narrowing the list down was tough, so he turned to the audience to help with the selection process. "To pick songs, I can only go by what the audience response is, like say 'Runnin' With the Devil.' To the day I die, we'll have to play that because that's what people want to hear, and 'Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love,' 'Unchained' and 'Jump.' There's all kinds of stuff."

These are all songs that of course almost have to be on a game celebrating the VH legacy, but what about some dark horses that could make it? "I love 'Girl Gone Bad,'" he says. "One of my favorite songs of ours is 'Drop Dead Legs.' Whether it's a hit or not, I love that song. Probably the more obscure stuff, like Wolfie [his son/bassist Wolfgang Van Halen] loves 'Romeo Delight.' I do too."

So there you have it, kids. The best of Van Halen from the man himself.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Can't go wrong with Romeo Delight.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

it would be really cool if they do play Drop Dead Legs and Girl Gone Bad on their next tour.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Well regardless of some of the things he says, Drop Dead and Girl Gone Bad are two great VH songs and I am glad they are some of his favorites.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

I know he's correct in saying people would probably bitch if they didn't hear this song or that song. But I also think that fans will adapt to expectations. If VH played whatever the hell they wanted to over the years, then they could have fostered an atmosphere among fans that could go like this, "If you want to hear 'Jump' and 'Runnin with the Devil' go buy a greatest hits CD you fair-weather piece of crap!" Springsteen has played whatever the hell he wanted to in his live sets year in and year out at every show and every show he has a sell out crowd of 15k-30k who leave very happy.

I would kill to see Drop Dead Legs or Girl Gone Bad live!! He should have played whatever the hell he wanted over the years. He frustrates me so much sometimes.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    I know he's correct in saying people would probably bitch if they didn't hear this song or that song. But I also think that fans will adapt to expectations. If VH played whatever the hell they wanted to over the years, then they could have fostered an atmosphere among fans that could go like this, "If you want to hear 'Jump' and 'Runnin with the Devil' go buy a greatest hits CD you fair-weather piece of crap!" Springsteen has played whatever the hell he wanted to in his live sets year in and year out at every show and every show he has a sell out crowd of 15k-30k who leave very happy.

I would kill to see Drop Dead Legs or Girl Gone Bad live!! He should have played whatever the hell he wanted over the years. He frustrates me so much sometimes.
    though you'll be hardpressed to find someone else more of the opinion that a band should NOT take it's fan's wants an desires to seriously, I do have to just mention that although The Boss does play pretty varied sets, he always does the staples like Born to Run.

I was very very pleased to hear that two of EVH's favourites are also mine. I absolutely love Girl Gone Bad an Drop Dead Legs...two of my all time favourites by them.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

I love to hear that Girl Gone Bad and Drop Dead Legs are two of his favorites because they're two of mine also. Hearing his other statements is insanely frustrating. For years of thought of VH as dinosaurs. Not because of their age but because of their attitude. They have used the internet about 1% of what they should have/could have over the last decade. Their promotion has been basically nonexistent during the last two tours. And Ed's thought that he has to play anything is so silly. Check out Pearl Jam's setlists. One example is that Jeremy is arguably their biggest 'hit'. I've seen Pearl Jam about 6 times and I've never seen them play it, and I know for a fact that they usually don't because they post their setlists on the website the morning after every show. The good thing about Ed being reclusive all these years is that VH music sounds like nothing else, because he listens to nothing else. The bad part, in my opinion, is that his thoughts of how the music world functions is stuck in 1978. I love VH, just get frustrated sometimes.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    though you'll be hardpressed to find someone else more of the opinion that a band should NOT take it's fan's wants an desires to seriously, I do have to just mention that although The Boss does play pretty varied sets, he always does the staples like Born to Run.

I was very very pleased to hear that two of EVH's favourites are also mine. I absolutely love Girl Gone Bad an Drop Dead Legs...two of my all time favourites by them.
    This may be true, I'll have to look into it. But when EVH and the band is coming up with a setlist, it isn't necessary to exclude Girl Gone Bad to include Runnin With the Devil. VH went out on extended tours for months/years at a time and their set list was so stale, so obvious and if they "mixed it up", that would usually mean they played one different song, two if they got absolutely crazy.

Another point about this too, I can see the argument for say "Jump" b/c it was such a huge hit, that you should probably play it night in and night out, as with other huge hits. But until 1984 wasn't VH pretty much an album rock band. Sure, they were on the radio and they had "hits", but I would think as the years went on, anything from the first 5 albums would all be pretty classic. I swear VH practically ruined songs like ATBL and RWTD for me b/c they played them over and over to death. And they should have especially dropped them with Sammy over the years. That's just my opinion, but my broader point is that VH being such a stadium rock, album rock band could have easily played deep cuts off the first five albums live without any blow back from the fans. It's not like the songs they played live from the early days were all #1 on the charts or anything.

I saw Duran Duran a couple of weeks ago - yes, I love Duran Duran, sue me - anyway they played 2 hours of great song after great song and they have a ton more hits than VH and probably a greater expectation to play those hits live than VH ever would b/c they are a top 40 pop band and less an album rock band. And yet they did NOT play "Hungry like the Wolf" (#3 billboard) or "Reflex (#1 billboard)". I thought that was fantastic! Instead I was treated to some deeper cuts and some more recent songs.

Just saying, it's always bothered me that VH played it so safe with their live shows.

Last Online

Drop Dead Legs will be awesome if they add it.
    I think they will.

And I hope for Hear About it Later!
    Whew.
    That would be amazing.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

Drop Dead Legs is the bees knees. Shame they never played it live. Wonder why, since Ed "loves it"...

Of course Ed's as FOS as a Thanksgiving turkey.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post

I completely agree here. Van Halen should have played more obscure tunes thru the years. The more serious fans would have appreciated it. It does get old hearing the same songs over and over. I don't think there would have been much, if any backlash from changing things up. The only reason I can think of why they never did would be because their show is choreographed to the minute degree.

I was surprised to hear him give some mention to GGB and DDL. Not that he shouldn't, because they are great songs, but can think of more ferocious songs than those. Probably two of the more serious songs from 1984 though.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Ed needs to shut the fuck up!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Completely agree with Girl Gone Bad and Drop Dead Legs. They should bust those out next tour, turn them into an extended jam in place of Al's drum solo or something like that.

Last Online

Drop Dead Legs and Girl Gone Bad and House of Pain.

And Bottom's Up would be cool, too.

Light Up the Sky. Would be amazing.

Those, plus Me Wise Magic and CGTSNM.

And like 10 standards. Jump, Hot For Teacher, etc.

And Hear About it Later.

Wait...and DOA...!

And 5 new tunes.

Yep.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    "One of my favorite songs of ours is 'Drop Dead Legs.' Whether it's a hit or not, I love that song.
    Yes sir!

Sixstring and I have talked at great length about this song.

It is the Holy Grail of EVH tone.

Just look to the left of these words.

<-------------------
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!