The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Default Sikh soldiers guard Queen Elizabeth II

Kinda cool if you ask me.

LONDON Ė Queen Elizabeth II has switched bearskin hats for turbans outside Buckingham Palace, where Sikh soldiers have begun guarding the monarch and her treasures, Britain's defense ministry said Friday.

Signaler Simranjit Singh and Lance Cpl. Sarvjit Singh are the first Sikhs to take part in patrols outside the queen's residence and to stand watch over the Crown jewels at the Tower of London across town.

Guard duties are usually carried out by the Guards of Household Division, famed for their bearskin hats and crimson coats that attract picture-taking tourists in their thousands. The ministry said the Sikh soldiers instead wore turbans and blue uniforms.

Other army regiments often help carry out guard duties at Britain's Buckingham Palace when the Household Division is on operations. The ministry said the two soldiers are the first of the 90 Sikhs in Britain's army to be handed the task.

"It's purely a coincidence that this has happened now," said a defense ministry spokeswoman, on condition of anonymity in line with policy. "Regiments take it in turn to stand in for the Household Division and it just happens that two of the soldiers this time round are Sikh."

Sarvjit Singh, who was born in India and is a member of 3 Regiment Army Air Corps, said he was thrilled to have had the opportunity to guard the queen.

"My experience being a Sikh on the queen's guard is beyond words," said the 28-year-old. "It is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I feel privileged to have this honor."

"Being in London and parading in front of hundreds of people has been brilliant. Being Sikh hasn't made any difference," said Simranjit Singh, 26, from Coventry in central England, who is attached to the 21 Signal Regiment (Air Support).

"It's been hard work, but definitely worth it," he said.

He said the toughest part of the role is keeping perfectly still when on sentry duty outside the queen's home.

Sikhs routinely guarded Queen Victoria ó a colonial ruler of India. At the time of World War I, Sikhs formed about 20 percent of the British army, but numbers dwindled following India's independence.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

they wore turbans and blue uniforms instead of the bear skin hats and red uniforms. I get the turbans but why the blue? Is there something significant about the colour that I'm missing?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    they wore turbans and blue uniforms instead of the bear skin hats and red uniforms. I get the turbans but why the blue? Is there something significant about the colour that I'm missing?
    Somewhere in the story it mentions that when the House Guard is deployed or not available, other units rotate in to assume duties. The House Guard is the only unit, I believe, that wears the Scarlet blouse and bearskin covers.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    Somewhere in the story it mentions that when the House Guard is deployed or not available, other units rotate in to assume duties. The House Guard is the only unit, I believe, that wears the Scarlet blouse and bearskin covers.
    Ah, I see. I thought everyone that guarded the palace wore the red and the bear hats but since these guys were sikh's they would be wearing their turbans and blues.

Funny though, I don't recall ever seeing a picture of anyone guarding the palace NOT wearing the bear skin hats and the reds.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Good to see this, especially in light of the recent events involving the Ghurkas.

I've obviously seen the guards at Buckingham Palace and if you do get the chance, it is worth a watch, simply for the absolute metronomic timekeeping of these guys. I watched two march about thirty metres away from each other and turn back as if one. They kept this up for hours. Unbelievable.

It does make me laugh seeing the tourists standing next to the Home guards for photos though. Kiddies smiling standing next to the hardest killing machines on the planet.

Nice juxtaposition.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Badass looking outfits.

And those bayonets are pretty intimidating too.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

it looks like the bayonets are stuck in the barrel of the gun...those must have really small barrels.

What's with the leather wrap around the parts of the guns?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Unimpressive.

When these cats get the call, let Me know.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    it looks like the bayonets are stuck in the barrel of the gun...those must have really small barrels.

What's with the leather wrap around the parts of the guns?
    The barrel on the L85 A2 is the same size as a standard armalite barrel. The bayonet just has a large hollow grip which the flash eliminator and barrel of the rifle slots into. Its a menacing piece of kit the British bayonet - its made of one piece of metal and is very solid.

The leather is actually just for ceremonial duties and to keep dust and rain from the optics and gas parts - it just looks nicer lol.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interestingly I just noticed the soldier on the right has his dust cover open on his rifle (the cover for the ejector port).....some training sergeant would have a field day handing out press ups for that!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YO!Edward View Post
    Interestingly I just noticed the soldier on the right has his dust cover open on his rifle (the cover for the ejector port)
    A disgrace to Sikh soldiers everywhere! Ha ha ha!

Oh, man...if one of my guys had their dust cover open, I'd light them up.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Interestingly I just noticed the soldier on the right has his dust cover open on his rifle (the cover for the ejector port).....some training sergeant would have a field day handing out press ups for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post

what are you guys talking about?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

oh i'd have screamed at him for that one....good eyes there mate.
    what Reg were you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    interesting fact...there are 5 different regiments of guards(Grenadier guards, coldstream guards, Welsh guards, Scots guards, Irish guards) all of which wear the bearskin hats and red uniforms...the main difference is the way the buttons on the uniforms are arranged...groups of 2, groups of 3 etc. other indicators are the plumes worn in the bearskins (colour and which side they are displayed on) and colar badge and shoulder badge.
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 08.01.09 at 03:36 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post

They let the Junior Birdmen play with guns??? Yikes!!

SISCA...where did you hide the kevlar???

Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    oh i'd have screamed at him for that one....good eyes there mate.
    what Reg were you in?

interesting fact...there are 5 different regiments of guards(Grenadier guards, coldstream guards, Welsh guards, Scots guards, Irish guards) all of which wear the bearskin hats and red uniforms...the main difference is the way the buttons on the uniforms are arranged...groups of 2, groups of 3 etc. other indicators are the plumes worn in the bearskins (colour and which side they are displayed on) and colar badge and shoulder badge.
    RM tommywho5150. Hence my silence on all things 'Army'. From the post above I think I will leave that to you