Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

'Cash for clunkers' comes to halt, as soon as it started!!

what a joke.... government meddling at its best

'Cash for clunkers' to halt AP sources say the government will suspend the popular trade-in program. Concerns over cost.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government plans to suspend its popular "cash for clunkers" program amid concerns it could quickly use up the $1 billion in rebates for new car purchases, congressional officials said Thursday.

The Transportation Department called lawmakers' offices to alert them to the decision to suspend the program at midnight Thursday. The program offers owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

The congressional officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. Rae Tyson, a spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which administers the program, declined comment.

Congress last month approved the Car Allowance Rebate System program, known as CARS, to boost auto sales and remove some inefficient cars and trucks from the roads. The program kicked off last Friday and was heavily publicized by car companies and auto dealers.

Through late Wednesday, 22,782 vehicles had been purchased through the program and nearly $96 million had been spent. But dealers raised concerns about large backlogs in the processing of the deals in the government system, prompting the suspension.

A survey of 2,000 dealers by the National Automobile Dealers Association found about 25,000 deals had not yet approved by NHTSA, or nearly 13 trades per store. It raised concerns that with about 23,000 dealers taking part in the program, auto dealers may already have surpassed the 250,000 vehicle sales funded by the $1 billion program.

"There's a significant backlog of 'cash for clunkers' deals that make us question how much funding is still available in the program," said Bailey Wood, a spokesman for the dealers association.

Even before the suspension, some in Congress were seeking more money for the auto sales stimulus. Rep. Candice Miller, R-Mich., wrote in a letter to House leaders on Wednesday requesting additional funding for the program.

"This is simply the most stimulative $1 billion the federal government has spent during the entire economic downturn," Miller said Thursday. "The federal government must come up with more money, immediately, to keep this program going."

Brendan Daly, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said they would work with "the congressional sponsors and the administration to quickly review the results of the initiative."

General Motors Co. spokesman Greg Martin said Thursday the automaker hopes "there's a will and way to keep the CARS program going a little bit longer."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

More proof the government should stay out of the private sector. Reminiscent of the coupons for digital converter boxes. Stupid fuck ups.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    More proof the government should stay out of the private sector. Reminiscent of the coupons for digital converter boxes. Stupid fuck ups.
    correct!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 792 Times in 381 Posts

Premium Member

Wow they're really fucked up. Not that I'm upset to see it go since it was such a terrible idea to begin with. Glad it's gone.

Just another Obama program that costs tax payers sick amounts of money to further this administrations "green" agenda. More legislation which no one bothered to read in the first place but passed anyway but now beginning to realize what a dumb and unrealistic idea it was after the fact.

Too bad they don't do the same with Obama's trillion $$ stimulus. Though that $3.4 Million Wildlife “Eco-Passage” in Florida and other such projects really are so vital to our economic recovery. Ha
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

But the government having access to all of our medical records will surely work out just fine! President Oprah-ma said so!

Oh, look! A unicorn flying next to a rainbow!

I love living in Imaginary Land!
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Down In Flames View Post
    But the government having access to all of our medical records will surely work out just fine! President Oprah-ma said so!

Oh, look! A unicorn flying next to a rainbow!

I love living in Imaginary Land!
    Man, I love that album!

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unexpected? Really?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Man, I love that album!

Off topic but

I dig the books the name was taken from as well.

The Character Elric was of an ancient race that rode dragons and his sword(StormBringer) gave him power by consuming his victims souls. lol You may know all this.

As a aside..I don't recall details but Michael Moorcock who is one of my favorite fantasy writers(He created the Elric Saga).. is also a musician and recorded some stuff with BOC. Wrote lyrics and things for BOC and recorded and performed on a very limited basis I believe. Maybe tmi but it just popped into my mind. I don't know if he has any musical connection to DP besides them liking his books and using the concept.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

All those geniuses that couldn't afford a house payment and got their loans 'adjusted', can now go out and get a free $4500 gov't rebate for their old worthless cars and get right back up to the max in debt.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Hmmm. The plan was meant to sell 250K cars over the course of the year to generate sales for the US car industry while at the same time getting less efficient cars off the streets. Rather than take one year, they moved 250K cars in one week. Seems like it worked out better than exected.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Hmmm. The plan was meant to sell 250K cars over the course of the year to generate sales for the US car industry while at the same time getting less efficient cars off the streets. Rather than take one year, they moved 250K cars in one week. Seems like it worked out better than exected.
    Never underestimate the power of free goverment handouts...

Nice to know that $53,000 income tax check I sent to Washington last February just helped 11 people into new cars... Having a new car is what makes life so much better, screw cancer research or the like...
    Last edited by voivod; 07.31.09 at 05:14 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    If you read the article it states that they have sold 22,782 cars not 250,000. It did NOT work as expected. Not to mention they were giving this rebate to people who have had cars that were not running and were headed to the junk yard. Not exactly what the good ol'e Gov't had in mind. Their point was to get the SUV's and pick up trucks that get 12 miles to the gallon off the road, not give you 3500-4500 for your worthless piece of shit sitting in the woods behind your house.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Someone's calculator in Obamaland wasn't working properly. Run out of money in less than a week. I guess I can't trade in my Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 for for a $4500 rebate to get a smaller more fuel-efficient compact sedan.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

http://wcbstv.com/consumer/cash.clun...2.1108544.html

"If they can't administer a program like this, I'd be a little concerned about my health insurance," car salesman Rob Bojaryn said.

Amen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH Wahoo View Post
    http://wcbstv.com/consumer/cash.clun...2.1108544.html

"If they can't administer a program like this, I'd be a little concerned about my health insurance," car salesman Rob Bojaryn said.

Amen.
    exactly....