Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

EVH's 07/08 Amps Live

Was I the only one who walked out of the arena and was suffering from hearing loss? BTW, I had plugs in my ears too boot. I thought ed was so loud in was ridiculous. Some time went by and it was all a big "whatever". Then I started watching some concerts on VH1, such as Donnington and started noticing that alot of artists, such as Tesla and Def Leppard had much "SMALLER" set ups than EVH. This struck me as odd considering the Donnington venue appeared to be 10x the size of a hockey rink (what vh was playing in). EVH must have had 10 stacks set up and It appears that they were all mic'd, which made me think they were really being used (not just for show). A good friend of mine agreed with me and he just got back from an AC/DC show in Foxboro. Again, the boys in AC/DC had what appeared to be a smaller rig and they FILLED a Football Stadium with sound.
    My question to EVH is ,,,,, why? As a former bar band singer, I can say that singing over a MONSTER rig is NO fun ! MY sympathies to Roth.
    Maybe it's just my opinion, but that's what I was hearing and seeing. Best CV

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    Was I the only one who walked out of the arena and was suffering from hearing loss? BTW, I had plugs in my ears too boot. I thought ed was so loud in was ridiculous. Some time went by and it was all a big "whatever". Then I started watching some concerts on VH1, such as Donnington and started noticing that alot of artists, such as Tesla and Def Leppard had much "SMALLER" set ups than EVH. This struck me as odd considering the Donnington venue appeared to be 10x the size of a hockey rink (what vh was playing in). EVH must have had 10 stacks set up and It appears that they were all mic'd, which made me think they were really being used (not just for show). A good friend of mine agreed with me and he just got back from an AC/DC show in Foxboro. Again, the boys in AC/DC had what appeared to be a smaller rig and they FILLED a Football Stadium with sound.
    My question to EVH is ,,,,, why? As a former bar band singer, I can say that singing over a MONSTER rig is NO fun ! MY sympathies to Roth.
    Maybe it's just my opinion, but that's what I was hearing and seeing. Best CV
    It all depended on the venue. At the two shows I saw at the Air Canada Centre here in Toronto. I was on the floor 4 rows from Ed for the first show and I actually took my ear plugs OUT because the sound was actually at a reasonable level.

Certain dates the sound was bad and at others it was better.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I went to the second show of the tour in Greensboro and it was the loudest I have ever heard at a concert. Beyond loud.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Yes, he was loud, but he wasn't going thru all the cabs. He uses his normal 3 cabinet set up.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Same in Philly.
    Three cabs miced up.
    PLENTY of sound.
    I stuck around after the show to watch em wrap it up. The "dummy" heads didn't even have tubes in em.( I dont think) The stage hands were literaly dropping them into their cases enough for a nice loud "thump"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes ed only uses 3 of the cabs on stage. the rest are for looks. 2 wet one dry. been that way for a very long time.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I went to the second show of the tour in Greensboro and it was the loudest I have ever heard at a concert. Beyond loud.

I was @ the Verizon 5/28/08 in Manchester NH. Even with earplugs, my ears rang until 2pm the following day. Granted, I was in row 3. As I've gotten older, 43 in a few days, I have realized that louder is NOT better. I prefer sound quality any day. BTW, evh played really good, it was just too darn loud.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The mic'd speakers on stage should be for the guitarist to hear, not the audience. The audience listens to the big p.a. speakers that are usually hanging down from the rafters on the sides of the stage. The stage volume is only for the guitarist. You could play Wembley Stadium with an acoustic if you wanted to. The p.a. does all the work.
    Ed seemed to be hella loud on stage. The fact that he complained about not being able to hear himself makes me think that he's got some serious hearing loss.
    I think, just guessing here, that Ed's volume made it difficult for the sound engineer to mix the band properly. There have been lots of complaints about the sound mix being very tinny and very, very loud.

Either that, or the sound company was a bunch of Van Halen cousins.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me/Dreams/Learning
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it's too loud your too old!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The mic'd speakers on stage should be for the guitarist to hear, not the audience. The audience listens to the big p.a. speakers that are usually hanging down from the rafters on the sides of the stage. The stage volume is only for the guitarist. You could play Wembley Stadium with an acoustic if you wanted to. The p.a. does all the work.
    Ed seemed to be hella loud on stage. The fact that he complained about not being able to hear himself makes me think that he's got some serious hearing loss.
    I think, just guessing here, that Ed's volume made it difficult for the sound engineer to mix the band properly. There have been lots of complaints about the sound mix being very tinny and very, very loud.

Either that, or the sound company was a bunch of Van Halen cousins.

If evh has hearing loss, I wonder if the ear moniters would be of help to him? Although, they (vh) must have thought of all the different options. I typically don't mind loud music, but when the "loud" overshadows sound clearity and quality, than I'm thinking it's toooooo much.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Going way back to the old days Eddie always said Dave stayed away from his side of the stage because he was too loud. I guess old habits die hard. Is VH a louder band than most? I don't go to a lot of shows any more, too expensive.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 621 Times in 291 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    I was @ the Verizon 5/28/08 in Manchester NH. Even with earplugs, my ears rang until 2pm the following day. Granted, I was in row 3. As I've gotten older, 43 in a few days, I have realized that louder is NOT better. I prefer sound quality any day. BTW, evh played really good, it was just too darn loud.
    I was in the front row in Machester. Since then every night I lay in bed and its quiet I can hear ringin in my ears
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    I was in the front row in Machester. Since then every night I lay in bed and its quiet I can hear ringin in my ears
    That's just Eddie whispering to you..."thanks for all that money for paying for front row!"

Seriously, Eddie was loud and it depended on where you sat. I saw him at the same venue two nights in Ft. Lauderdale. The first night was so loud it was unbearable and I play freakin loud myself. I stuffed my napkins in my ears and I never do that for band practice or shows.

The second night I sat in a different spot and the sound was much more evenly mixed.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was on the floor in Philly, EVH's side, and it WAS hella-loud. I was on the 2nd level at Madison Sq Garden and it was MUCH better.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

To me it kind of sounded like when you turn an alarm clock radio's volume all the way up. It was just hard to make out.