Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Default Mystery of Watergate tape’s missing 18 minutes may finally be solved

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6732422.ece

Part of the article:
    Phil Mellinger, a former analyst at the National Security Agency who has delved into the notes, reports, testimony and evidence relating to Watergate, said he had a “eureka” moment in October last year when he visited the National Archives and asked to see Mr Haldeman’s notes from the June 20 meeting.

An assistant brought them out but there were only two pages. They had four sets of holes in the top left-hand corner, suggesting that staples had been taken out and new ones inserted later.

“Wow — I suddenly realised that at the top of page two, the discussion of Watergate was ending,” Mr Mellinger told The Times, “The first page of notes went right up to the time they started discussing Watergate. I believe page two was about the last minute of the 18-minute discussion.”

Mr Mellinger believes that in 1973, when the Watergate scandal began heating up, Mr Haldeman destroyed the pages that covered the gap in the tape, then restapled the remainder.

The notes were subpoenaed in 1974 and retrieved from a White House safe to which only Mr Haldeman had the combination.

Yet nobody noticed that he provided only two pages of notes from the 79-minute conversation. It is unlikely that he sat through a large part of the meeting without taking notes.

Mr Mellinger has convinced the archives to subject the existing notes to electrostatic detection analysis, which can capture indentations on paper. The hope is that what was written on the allegedly missing pages can be recreated.

Mr Haldeman usually wrote in felt tip pen but on this day he used a ballpoint, greatly improving the chances of success. “I’m pretty confident this will work,” Mr Mellinger said.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

just 18 minutes missing?..........I'll bet there's more like 10 albums worth

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    just 18 minutes missing?..........I'll bet there's more like 10 albums worth
    Funny thing about those missing 18 minutes is that when the tapes were "accidentally erased", they were erased not once so that data could still be extracted, but like 26 times! Cover-up???? Noooooooo......
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Ever since the Watergate hearings, people have acted as if some great conspiracy was in the works, from 18 minutes of missing tape to a handful of notes removed from a policy briefing. The truth may lie in the mundane. For instance, who here among us has not thrown in a tape of one's wedding or vacation into the VCR, only to find the last quarter of a football game or an episode of "The L Word" instead?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

they just recently released some tapes of Nixon having candid conversations about policy and race relations and even abortion. NPR played a few clips about a month ago and I found myself in hysterics.

The one clip that I remember most is when the conversation comes around to abortion and he and, I forget who, were in the oval office hashing out a position for the president to take. He says "you know, I just can't see making it legal to have an abortion. Well...maybe in cases where the baby HAS to be aborted, like rape or a mix race marriage...but only in cases like that...where you have to abort."

My my...what a difference a couple decades makes!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I went through a Watergate phase a few years ago and did a bunch of research about it.

Mostly because that kind of stuff really attracts the ladies!

Anyway, I can believe that Haldeman destroyed some of his notes, but I doubt that those notes contained anything earth-shattering or anything we don't already know.
    ("Pres. killed another hooker last night. Have Colson dig another grave in rose garden...")

To me, Nixon's crimes seem kind of tame compared to the kind of craziness that's been in the news lately.
    He had a list of enemies that he tried to screw, and he used campaign contributions to fund break-ins and wiretapping and other dirty tricks. When his guys got caught, he ordered the FBI to hush the whole thing up.

...and that's about it. Hardly seems worth making a fuss over, doesn't it?

Remember, too, that Nixon did some serious political good while he was in office; most notably arms negotiation with the Soviet Union and opening up China. He was a skilled diplomat and a serious, intelligent man.

I think the reason for his resignation had more to do with the national mood than with Watergate. The public was sick of the war, there were race riots and anti-war riots all over, American cities and college campuses were burning and Nixon, unfortunately, was a mean, unsympathetic, son-of-a-bitch who didn't have the skill and tact to settle things down. I don't think he ever tried. Watergate was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

So while it's historically interesting to discover what was in the notes Haldeman destroyed, I don't think we'll find another smoking gun.

Don't read this.

Last Online

Yet isn't it sad that in today's political climate, the actions of a sitting President like Nixon are viewed in retrospect as "Golly, he didn't seem so bad"?

Wow, to think that holding the highest elected office in the country might have at one time reflected some sort of dignity, let alone honest intentions and values toward the electorate. Who'd a thunk it?

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yet isn't it sad that in today's political climate, the actions of a sitting President like Nixon are viewed in retrospect as "Golly, he didn't seem so bad"?

Wow, to think that holding the highest elected office in the country might have at one time reflected some sort of dignity, let alone honest intentions and values toward the electorate. Who'd a thunk it?
    American political corruption is as old as American politics. Some of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were crooked.
    (Pop quiz: What is the origin of the word 'Gerrymander?' Anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller?)
    We're fortunate to live in a time where we find out about events the day, even the hour, that they occur. I'll bet there were people living on farms in Nebraska who never found out about Teapot Dome. And that was in 1921 and it occurred in the next state over! (Remember that electricity was a luxury for some communities, even into the 1940's and 50's)

All in all, I'd guess that the current information climate forces politicians to be more honest now than they were in the old days.

Don't read this.

Last Online

No kidding. Those that worship at the "ideal" of John Kennedy would be amazed to learn that as a young soldier, he was not only seduced by an attractive double agent, yet also may have divulged highly sensitive (and classified) information to her. When his dad Joe found out about the liaison, JFK was promptly shipped out to the Pacific theater from his stateside gig in South Carolina.

All political appointees are guilty of one thing or another. It goes with the territory. My point is that as a people, it is shameful to realize that we not only acknowledge this as a fact, we somehow manage to accept it as a part of life. No, I'm not some overtly naive Pollyanna, far from it. I simply find it repugnant that the terms served by so-called "leaders" are not defined by their virtues, yet by how little scandal was revealed during their service to the public.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    All political appointees are guilty of one thing or another. It goes with the territory. My point is that as a people, it is shameful to realize that we not only acknowledge this as a fact, we somehow manage to accept it as a part of life. No, I'm not some overtly naive Pollyanna, far from it. I simply find it repugnant that the terms served by so-called "leaders" are not defined by their virtues, yet by how little scandal was revealed during their service to the public.
    Those capable of getting elected are those least suited for the job.

Power corrupts, we all know that. Maybe it's healthier for us as a society to realize this and accept it.
    Isn't it our fault, as voters, to demand such high moral standards? Aren't we just begging to be lied to?

Note: I'm just throwing this out there for discussion. Not saying I really stand behind it.

Don't read this.