Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

Default How Obama Stumbled on Health Care

You wouldn’t know it from the way President Barack Obama is blaming the GOP for his flagging health agenda. “There are those [read the GOP] who are advocating delay just as a desperation move to try to kill it,” complained White House budget director Peter Orszag. Republicans are working to “block health-care reform,” groused the president. “Republicans should immediately put an end to their political games,” demanded Democratic Rep. Chris van Hollen.

Indeed. The party of the left owns the White House, a filibuster-proof Senate, and a 70-seat House majority. As one House Republican aide quipped: “We could have every GOP congressman and their parents vote against a Democratic bill, and still not stop it.” All Democrats have to do is agree on something.

That they can’t is testimony to Team Obama’s mismanagement of its first big legislative project. The president is a skilled politician and orator, but the real test of a new administration is whether it can shepherd a high-stakes bill through Congress. In retrospect, the mistakes are growing clear.

• Living in the short term: The administration thought it was clever back in February, using its $787 billion “stimulus” as an excuse to pass all manner of non-stimulating spending. But the bill sent deficits soaring, forcing those numbers to the center of today’s health debate and unnerving Democratic deficit hawks. Mr. Obama’s demand that a bill be deficit-neutral enthused House liberals to propose crushing tax hikes that further alienated conservative Democrats.

Mr. Obama boxed himself in on taxes back in his campaign. Senate Finance Chairman Max Baucus and counterpart Chuck Grassley were merrily on their way to a bipartisan deal based on taxing existing health benefits. Yet having slammed John McCain for that idea, the White House vetoed the compromise, derailing an agreement. “The President is not helping us,” bluntly stated Mr. Baucus. “He does not want [that tax]. That’s making it difficult.”

• Unleashing Congress: Not wanting to repeat Hillary Clinton’s mistaken attempt to micromanage Congress, the administration took the equally dangerous path of no management at all. Left to wild impulses, Nancy Pelosi, Henry Waxman and Ted Kennedy took the most radical of Mr. Obama’s proposals (a public option entitlement) as a starting point, and ran left with new mandates, income tax surcharges, and business penalties. The House bill stirred a Blue Dog rebellion and mired the bill in committee. Mrs. Pelosi failed to include enticements for susceptible Republicans, leaving her hard-pressed to poach GOP votes.

The White House’s decision to let Mrs. Pelosi charge ahead with her climate bill has also been a disaster. To get that unpopular energy tax through, Mrs. Pelosi had to strip conservative Democrats of their committee rights and then arm-twist them into votes. Their egos and poll ratings bruised, this crew is balking at taking a second one for the team. “If you’re a member who voted for cap and trade and had a bad experience back home, you’re probably not looking forward to a bad vote on a health-care bill that’s not going to go anywhere in the Senate,” says Pennsylvania Blue Dog Jason Altmire.

• The perils of spin: Selling a huge expansion of government health care in the middle of a recession was never going to be easy. The Obama team hit on the argument that by adding to the government rolls, it would in fact save money and boost the economy.

Bizarre as this claim was, it became the administration’s prime rationale for “reform.” Until last week, when Congressional Budget Office director Douglas Elmendorf blew it up, noting that the existing House and Senate bills would “significantly expand” federal costs. This gave Democratic senators such as North Dakota’s Kent Conrad an excuse to back away from existing bills, and place new emphasis on a highly uncertain Baucus compromise.

• False deadlines: Mr. Obama is right to worry this project is a race against time and falling poll numbers. But the administration’s unwavering demand for bills before recess led to the gridlock it hoped to avoid. The deadline inspired the House leadership to rush out a bill without consensus, further antagonizing the Blue Dogs. In the Senate, the pressure on Mr. Baucus to produce has very nearly pushed away Mr. Grassley, who Democrats need for cover.

A unified Republican message helped raise public alarm. But if they were the problem, Mr. Obama’s campaign arm, Organizing for America, wouldn’t be running TV ads that target his own Democrats. This debate has a stretch to go, and we’re about to see if the administration is nimble enough to adapt its strategy. Some Democrats are even hinting the White House needs to start over. At this point, that might not be bad advice.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...185061360.html
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

So we can look forward to you starting yet another thread every time you find something negative about the President on Google? Golly, what a public service you are providing.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    So we can look forward to you starting yet another thread every time you find something negative about the President on Google? Golly, what a public service you are providing.

Is there anything positive about this president? I'd be eager to hear what you have.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

gotta agree here scotty...why don't you just post all the articles in the one thread? They're all about the same thing? There's really no sense in starting a bunch of different discussions about the same topic.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    Is there anything positive about this president? I'd be eager to hear what you have.
    I have nothing to praise the guy for, not in the least. But you don't see me (or anyone else, for that matter) starting three threads in a single day about the man and his administration.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

I have nothing to praise the guy for, not in the least. But you don't see me (or anyone else, for that matter) starting three threads in a single day about the man and his administration.
    The threads were all about Obama, all on different topics. I did get on a roll, but Obama is disgusting. That is all.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've already pared it down to 2 threads, essentially the budget and health care, if the two topics and their issues can remain relatively seperated, I'll leave this one, otherwise this one will get merged into the other one as well.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

I am both an Obama supporter and a proponent of health care reform.

but I believe that there is no way to reform health care without bankrupting the country if our economy stays in the crapper, and defense spending remains at current levels.

to quote a previous presidential candidate "it's the economy stupid"

we do not need to rush the overhaul of a vital resource such as the health care system, just to make good on campaign promises or capitalize on the momentum of a new administration...it has to be done prudently or it will fail and there may not be another chance for reform for many many years

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    gotta agree here scotty...why don't you just post all the articles in the one thread? They're all about the same thing? There's really no sense in starting a bunch of different discussions about the same topic.
    The Official ScottyBHarris Obama Sucks Thread
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The Official ScottyBHarris Obama Sucks Thread
    Nice!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Yep, roll 'em up into one thread in future please mate, dont mind you posting and discussing them, we don't need the board overrun by it though.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I am both an Obama supporter and a proponent of health care reform.

but I believe that there is no way to reform health care without bankrupting the country if our economy stays in the crapper, and defense spending remains at current levels.

to quote a previous presidential candidate "it's the economy stupid"

we do not need to rush the overhaul of a vital resource such as the health care system, just to make good on campaign promises or capitalize on the momentum of a new administration...it has to be done prudently or it will fail and there may not be another chance for reform for many many years
    what's more, if this doesn't work, it will ruin any chance at even trying to reform it for generations.

But it's not just defense...it's simply that our government spends too much money on too much bullshit.

infrastructure ie roads, bridges, transit, as well as access to telephone and data lines, sewage, water

defense ie making sure we have a strong enough standing army that is well paid, well staffed and well armed at the ready...not out fighting ghosts in caves

education ie ensuring that all citizens have access to trade schools and degree programs at private institutions. You want to be a doctor? Well, as long as you have the grades, your taxes will cover your costs. Want to get a license to run an MRI machine so you can increase your income and get a better job? As long as you're making the grade, your taxes will cover the cost.

health care ie: ensuring that all citizens have access to healthcare period. You can pay more to get better care or to have a private room or whatever, but your taxes will make sure you get your asthma meds and that if you get the flu or run over by a car, that you get care you need.

If we stripped away everything else...all the bullshit spending on pet projects that pander to blocks of voters, if we cut out all the little loopholes that exist to let people off the hook on paying taxes there would be more than enough money to focus on those four basic categories of running a progressive, forward thinking free society.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I've already pared it down to 2 threads, essentially the budget and health care, if the two topics and their issues can remain relatively seperated, I'll leave this one, otherwise this one will get merged into the other one as well.
    the two topics are inextricably linked. They will be the same discussion....if they're not already.
    Last edited by VanHalenRules; 07.29.09 at 01:56 PM.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

the two topics are inextricably linked. They will be the same discussion....if they're not already.
    While very much linked, they could very well be two seperate topics, which is why I'm leaving it like this for the time being. The two start spilling over into each other to where they are essentially one thread, they will become just that.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

But it's not just defense...it's simply that our government spends too much money on too much bullshit.
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090720/D99I4A0G0.html
    RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $2,531,600 FOR 'HAM, WATER ADDED, COOKED, FROZEN, SLICED, 2-LB'...
    http://www.recovery.gov/?q=content/c...ails&primeid=4
    RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,191,200 FOR '2 POUND FROZEN HAM SLICED'...
    http://www.recovery.gov/?q=content/c...ils&primeid=27
    RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $351,807 FOR 'REPLACE AND UPGRADE THE DUMBWAITER'...
    http://www.recovery.gov/?q=content/c...65&primeid=545
    RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,562,568 FOR 'MOZZARELLA CHEESE'...
    http://www.recovery.gov/?q=content/c...503&primeid=36
    RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $5,708,260 FOR 'PROCESS CHEESE'...
    http://www.recovery.gov/?q=content/c...ils&primeid=35