Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIP Experience

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.25.12 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VIP Experience

Hey guys, I would like folks to post their VIP/Backstage experiences here. I'm going to Chicago next week, so I'll be posting mine then. I'm curious if it'll be anything like the VH tour back in 2004, which was great. I know there is no soundcheck included with this, but these guys all love their fans and in my experiece you usually get a bit more than you're told you're paying for, so lets document that here. Not sure if any of the overseas shows had VIP/backstage treatment available, but would love to hear from them if they did.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

From what I can see A LOT of the YT videos I have seen show the fans standing by the side of the stage.

Maybe instead of just 2 people watching the last song by the side of the stage....the WHOLE group watches the WHOLE SHOW by the side of the stage.

That's all I have thought of.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seriously guys...we're two shows in to the N.American tour and no VIPers yet? I'm going tonight in Chicago, so I'll post my review.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Most of the venues they are playing are so small that VIP tickets just are not a priority to me. But the pre-show booze and food is always nice.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.27.16 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilguitar View Post
    Seriously guys...we're two shows in to the N.American tour and no VIPers yet? I'm going tonight in Chicago, so I'll post my review.
    I am anxious to hear what the VIP experience is like. I have two for Charlotte on the 27th.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Basically you are paying $400 bucks for a backstage tour, a laminate, and a CHANCE to watch the last song from the side of the stage.

THAT's IT. I bought a regular $50 GA ticket and I was standing RIGHT BEHIND friends of ours who went for the VIP. And it was vice versa for me at The Mod Club. Went for the VIP and they were standing RIGHT BEHIND me.

However at a gig like the Mod Club I would have been disappointed with anything BUT FRONT ROW up against the stage. When you see a band like this playing in a club THAT small, you HAVE to be RIGHT UP AT THE STAGE. So I paid the $260 bucks. But these venues are all pretty spacious.

PLUS...60-70% of the fans that are coming to these gigs are semi-casual fans. And almost 100% of the kids coming to these shows are there because Chad Smith is in the band. So even the people at the front of the line aren't going to rush to the stage. They're gonna hit the merch booths and the bar, etc.

There was about 60-80 people in front of us in the line at the Sound Academy on Wednesday and the group of us were STILL, roughly, 2nd row from the barrier (the stage is about 3 feet away from the barrier to leave room for photographers.)

So in closing...........whew...................... .....I don't think the VIP is worth it. But....if Chickenfoot came back...who knows.......I might spring for one. I'm a whore. I'm a Foot Whore. I HAVE a Foot Fetish. So who knows.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VIP Backstage Review of Chicago:

Well, let me start by saying that the show itself was AWESOME!! The VIP Backstage experience was sub par at best and I would say not worth the money, unless you absolutely wanted a signed picture and some of the extra swag that goes with the package. Traffic was a freaking nightmare getting into Chicago. As a result, out of the maximum of 50 VIPers...there were 18 no-shows at the time the tour started!! Oh well, better chance for us to get goodies and a chance to stand at the side of the stage for the encore. We got there at 5:15 and they let us in at about 5:30. We stood in the door way as everyone got checked in first and then waited again for Danny Knowels to get done with sound check. They finally let us in a 6:00. We were led into the theater and took a seat. They gave out a set of Joe's used strings, two or three drum heads of Chad's and then pieced out Mike's strings one by one to a total of 5 people, then of course 4 lucky winners were chosen to stand at the side of the stage for the encore. My wife and I didn't get any of the giveaways, but that's ok.

After that they split us up and we went with the first group to tour backstage...not very exciting as usual. At least with the Iloveallaccess VIP gig we got sound check included in the price and got some stuff signed. The band wasn't even in the building, even though our guide Rich kept telling us he was expecting them. Later I saw a schedule posted in each of the guys changing area with their schedule...the band hadn't been there for 2 hours and wasn't going to be back until just before they went on...so all our guide was doing was to build anticipation...not what I paid for. We did get to go thru the guys dressing rooms and practice room which was pretty cool, got to take pictures and Rich handed us all guitar pics from Joe, Sam, and Mike...pretty cool. After that we were led downstairs and out a door...on to the street at about 6:20.

WTF? So there we were...20 mins at most from the time they let us in the theater to the time we were sitting on the pavement outside the theater. Everyone was a little miffed by that. We thought we would at least have gotten to hang out in our seats til the general admission got it..maybe have a go at the merchandise stands before the masses got to them...a little food...a little drink maybe? Nothing...over and out....not even thanks, that's the end of the tour, thanks for coming. Pretty lousy if you ask me.

So of course you show up a little early and then wait in line to get into the door for the VIP thing, but then you get let outside and have to stand in line AGAIN to be let in with the masses. Absolute no chance to meet the band, no additional autographs outside the one you are given(which is actually kind of nice), but nothing special at all. All you are getting folks is your seat in the first 5 rows, an autographed photo and a 4/50 chance to go to the side of the stage, your swag, and you get to stand in line twice. IMO, it would be cheaper to get good tickets on eBay.

Show review:
    Chicago theater was really nice…we were 5th row and it wasn’t bad at all. The sour taste in my mouth from the VIP experience was washed away by the phenomenal show these guys put on. Danny Knowels friggin rocks!! Best no-named opening band I’ve seen…ever! Sammy honestly sounds better than I can ever remember, looks fantastic and is a true show man entertaining everyone all night long. Mike’s bass and vocals were great; he actually has some really great bass lines that stand out! I’ve been a Joe fan for sometime now and he did not disappoint…flawless as usual. Chad. Chad Smith….first time seeing him and he really, truly adds to the already fun/party environment that Sam and Mike have been doing for years. Funny as hell, making faces all night, really interactive with the crowd, phenomenal drummer, and a great show man. Someone else said he threw out a ton of drum sticks…they are right!! He must have thrown 30 drum sticks out to the crowd through out the show…had one right to me, hit my finger, dropped to the dark floor…everyone was trying to focus in the dark for it, by the time I saw it, the guy right in front of my snagged it. Son of a biatch!! Fun though.

Lets see, some other randomness that happened…in between songs, Chad berated the balcony seats for sitting on their butts, while everyone else on the mainfloor is on their feet, and the band is up their sweating their butts off for them, the more he yelled at them, the more and more people stood up until finally almost everyone up top was standing. He then yells and points… “You! You right there sitting on your ass still….you in the orange shirt”…by this time everyone in the place is looking and just pumped, laughing, screaming and clapping. Finally, emerged from his front row seat at the balcony rises this big guy in an orange shirt, who finally stands up and throws up his arms in surrender….the place goes freaking berserk-O!! It was great, the energy was awesome!

Joe jumped on the drums for Sam’s slide guitar bit and Chad ran to the side of the stage signaling for a guitar…later emerged with Joes guitar and they jammed for a bit. Joe can hold a beat, but I think Chad may only know an E chord…it was funny as hell though and a lot of fun.

The most annoying thing of the whole show was this woman who brought her son to the show and allegedly his guitar which she confidently kept saying she WAS going to get signed for him. She had 5 extra tickets that she didn’t seem concerned about not getting rid of and acted like she could get anything and everything for anyone…all she’d have to do is talk to them. Kept going to the stage to get this thing signed…the band didn’t really do signatures at all, if any and the security guard was finally sick of her crap and told her not to come back…we later saw her trying to smooth talk the sound guy at the top of the theater as we exited…my wife and I just shook our heads…the kid never stood up the entire time and obviously was being used by his mother to get signatures and such. Poor kid. Never did get that thing signed...ha ha!

Anyways, bottom line is that this was a great show…the first one of the US tour and you guys are in for it. VIPers, don’t be too upset, it’s just I’ve been to far better backstage experiences…this one is just not worth it. Luckily, these guys will pull off such a great show that the money won’t matter to you…too much. If I go again, I’ll probably just buy tickets from eBay or try to get really good floor seats. The first 20 rows in theses places are great and even the first row in the balcony would be pretty darn good. I’ll try to post some pics later.
    Last edited by lilguitar; 08.08.09 at 03:16 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lilguitar View Post
    VIP Backstage Review of Chicago:

Well, let me start by saying that the show itself was AWESOME!! The VIP Backstage experience was sub par at best and I would say not worth the money, unless you absolutely wanted a signed picture and some of the extra swag that goes with the package. Traffic was a freaking nightmare getting into Chicago. As a result, out of the maximum of 50 VIPers...there were 18 no-shows at the time the tour started!! Oh well, better chance for us to get goodies and a chance to stand at the side of the stage for the encore. We got there at 5:15 and they let us in at about 5:30. We stood in the door way as everyone got checked in first and then waited again for Danny Knowels to get done with sound check. They finally let us in a 6:00. We were led into the theater and took a seat. They gave out a set of Joe's used strings, two or three drum heads of Chad's and then pieced out Mike's strings one by one to a total of 5 people, then of course 4 lucky winners were chosen to stand at the side of the stage for the encore. My wife and I didn't get any of the giveaways, but that's ok.

After that they split us up and we went with the first group to tour backstage...not very exciting as usual. At least with the Iloveallaccess VIP gig we got sound check included in the price and got some stuff signed. The band wasn't even in the building, even though our guide Rich kept telling us he was expecting them. Later I saw a schedule posted in each of the guys changing area with their schedule...the band hadn't been there for 2 hours and wasn't going to be back until just before they went on...so all our guide was doing was to build anticipation...not what I paid for. We did get to go thru the guys dressing rooms and practice room which was pretty cool, got to take pictures and Rich handed us all guitar pics from Joe, Sam, and Mike...pretty cool. After that we were led downstairs and out a door...on to the street at about 6:20.

WTF? So there we were...20 mins at most from the time they let us in the theater to the time we were sitting on the pavement outside the theater. Everyone was a little miffed by that. We thought we would at least have gotten to hang out in our seats til the general admission got it..maybe have a go at the merchandise stands before the masses got to them...a little food...a little drink maybe? Nothing...over and out....not even thanks, that's the end of the tour, thanks for coming. Pretty lousy if you ask me.

So of course you show up a little early and then wait in line to get into the door for the VIP thing, but then you get let outside and have to stand in line AGAIN to be let in with the masses. Absolute no chance to meet the band, no additional autographs outside the one you are given(which is actually kind of nice), but nothing special at all. All you are getting folks is your seat in the first 5 rows, an autographed photo and a 4/50 chance to go to the side of the stage, your swag, and you get to stand in line twice. IMO, it would be cheaper to get good tickets on eBay.

Show review:
    Chicago theater was really nice…we were 5th row and it wasn’t bad at all. The sour taste in my mouth from the VIP experience was washed away by the phenomenal show these guys put on. Danny Knowels friggin rocks!! Best no-named opening band I’ve seen…ever! Sammy honestly sounds better than I can ever remember, looks fantastic and is a true show man entertaining everyone all night long. Mike’s bass and vocals were great; he actually has some really great bass lines that stand out! I’ve been a Joe fan for sometime now and he did not disappoint…flawless as usual. Chad. Chad Smith….first time seeing him and he really, truly adds to the already fun/party environment that Sam and Mike have been doing for years. Funny as hell, making faces all night, really interactive with the crowd, phenomenal drummer, and a great show man. Someone else said he threw out a ton of drum sticks…they are right!! He must have thrown 30 drum sticks out to the crowd through out the show…had one right to me, hit my finger, dropped to the dark floor…everyone was trying to focus in the dark for it, by the time I saw it, the guy right in front of my snagged it. Son of a biatch!! Fun though.

Lets see, some other randomness that happened…in between songs, Chad berated the balcony seats for sitting on their butts, while everyone else on the mainfloor is on their feet, and the band is up their sweating their butts off for them, the more he yelled at them, the more and more people stood up until finally almost everyone up top was standing. He then yells and points… “You! You right there sitting on your ass still….you in the orange shirt”…by this time everyone in the place is looking and just pumped, laughing, screaming and clapping. Finally, emerged from his front row seat at the balcony rises this big guy in an orange shirt, who finally stands up and throws up his arms in surrender….the place goes freaking berserk-O!! It was great, the energy was awesome!

Joe jumped on the drums for Sam’s slide guitar bit and Chad ran to the side of the stage signaling for a guitar…later emerged with Joes guitar and they jammed for a bit. Joe can hold a beat, but I think Chad may only know an E chord…it was funny as hell though and a lot of fun.

The most annoying thing of the whole show was this woman who brought her son to the show and allegedly his guitar which she confidently kept saying she WAS going to get signed for him. She had 5 extra tickets that she didn’t seem concerned about not getting rid of and acted like she could get anything and everything for anyone…all she’d have to do is talk to them. Kept going to the stage to get this thing signed…the band didn’t really do signatures at all, if any and the security guard was finally sick of her crap and told her not to come back…we later saw her trying to smooth talk the sound guy at the top of the theater as we exited…my wife and I just shook our heads…the kid never stood up the entire time and obviously was being used by his mother to get signatures and such. Poor kid. Never did get that thing signed...ha ha!

Anyways, bottom line is that this was a great show…the first one of the US tour and you guys are in for it. VIPers, don’t be too upset, it’s just I’ve been to far better backstage experiences…this one is just not worth it. Luckily, these guys will pull off such a great show that the money won’t matter to you…too much. If I go again, I’ll probably just buy tickets from eBay or try to get really good floor seats. The first 20 rows in theses places are great and even the first row in the balcony would be pretty darn good. I’ll try to post some pics later.
    Wow. So were you let in with all the rest of the GA's or did they let you in early to get a good spot in front of the stage? But you said you were 5th row so I'm assuming they just let you in with everybody else.

Suck about the VIP experience you had but sounds like the show was KILLER.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.27.16 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Man, that is disappointing to hear about the VIP Exp. I did not do the VH Backstage one in 2004. Sounds like now I should have as it was a better experience. Maybe it will get better at other venues, but I guess these places are pretty small and there really isn't much to see anyway.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Wow. So were you let in with all the rest of the GA's or did they let you in early to get a good spot in front of the stage? But you said you were 5th row so I'm assuming they just let you in with everybody else.

Suck about the VIP experience you had but sounds like the show was KILLER.
    We all had assigned seats. The PIT area was not a free for all, it was assigned seating. But the fact that we had to stand in line again with all the non-VIPers just didn't make us feel any more special then anyone else.

Ticketmaster and Livenation did not have their shite together when the pre-sales hit becuase I couldn't get VIP tickets for almost 2 days, dispite fanfare telling me that their were still tickets left...by the time ticketmaster/livenation got their crap together...the best available was 5th row. I was just happy to have gotten them at that point, but there were more than enough seats in the PIT to give to all the Backstage VIPers a seat in the first 2 rows.

2004 experience was definately way better than this. Doubt that things will change thru-out the tour, but obviously that's what I would hope for if I were debating the VIP thing. Good luck to everyone else, hopefully it does change.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I should have said General Public...not General Admission...sorry about that. But that does brings up a good point...what will they do for those venues?

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was not a VIP last night, but they got their tour and then they got to go to the main floor first.

They let the rest of us in late, so I ran right up to the stage. Chad signed my ticket and Mike was about 2 feet away from me when the security guards made us move back off the main floor! Apparently only those with the VIP bracelets were allowed up there at the time. Well, then I guess they shouldn't have let us up there in the first place! There were a LOT of pissed off people. I was glad I got as much time there as I did, or I wouldn't have Chad's autograph!

Then they told us that we'd have to stay back until after Davey Knowles & Back Door Slam were done with their set! WTF?! That made no sense. Then suddenly, they let us go anyway. Idiots. So I WAS up against the barrier, but then I lost that spot. UGH.

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I received my VIP package in the mail. It contained a T-shirt, 8 Ball and a SMALL concert poster. Isn't there more swag? Do they hand out more at the show?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which show are you going to Te5150? I went to Chicago and still haven't received my stuff yet (8-ball, shirt, or poster). When you get to the concert you get your laminate and autographed photo. You should have received an e-mail with coupon for $25 off stuff in the store.

BTW, you might want to bring a folder or book or something to put your autographed photo in so in doesn't get f'd up during the show. I cringed when I saw one guy just roll his up and put it in the side pocket of his shorts.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey lilguitar, I'm going to the show at Dodge Theater in Phoenix in late Sept. Thanks for answering my question about the rest of the stuff.

I'd send some e-mails and make some calls if you haven't gotten yours, yet. That's crazy.

By the way, I'm still waiting on my fan club T-shirt from months ago. I've been round and round with those people and somehow they haven't been able to figure out how to ship one T-shirt to Arizona.