Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.12.11 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Could this be real?

This guy is selling a 1960 Gibson SG for 150 bucks o_O at least he claims it is one.
    I think its a fake looking at the pick guard and the controls but i dont really know how SG's from that time looked and all.
    Here are pics:

What do you think?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Man. I'm not a vintage Gibson SG expert. Someone might be able to pick out a discrepancy right away. Hopefully that person will come along. If it's too good to be true it generally is. If someone is going to the trouble of posting it online and taking pics you have to assume they would be able to investigate the true worth and not sell it for what is basically an inflated shipping charge bro. I'd be very suspect but that is not the authoritative opinion. May be a Chinese crap copy. May be a late year crappy guitar. May be a tard who has no clue and just needs the cash. I'd be careful though until you know for sure. That's not a lot of money to burn. I've spent more taking my fam out to dinner at chain place lol but still if your going to spend the money you don't want to end up with crap. My gut tells me it ain't right but keep investigating. Cool deal if it's legit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.12.11 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

asked it on another forum as well lots of confirmations that it is a fake, so you were right ;P

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Ah. sorry man. Well deals do pop up ...but very seldom do they like that, legit online. Like an old dude may sell a real one like that at a yard sale but I doubt you will find that online. Doesn't hurt to look. smart of you to check b4 buying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benjami View Post
    This guy is selling a 1960 Gibson SG for 150 bucks o_O at least he claims it is one.
    I think its a fake looking at the pick guard and the controls but i dont really know how SG's from that time looked and all.
    Here are pics:

What do you think?
    Peghead shape is off, "Gibson" logo looks kinda weird, and three screw trussrod cover gives it RIGHT away. Couldn't see the other photo.

OK- now I see the ther photo- body shape is not quite right, either. The Pickguard is waaaaaaay off. I guess this clown will think nobody could tell the difference. What a maroon!!!
    Last edited by bunnyman; 07.28.09 at 03:31 AM.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Last Online

11.17.09 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Peghead shape is off, "Gibson" logo looks kinda weird, and three screw trussrod cover gives it RIGHT away. Couldn't see the other photo.

OK- now I see the ther photo- body shape is not quite right, either. The Pickguard is waaaaaaay off. I guess this clown will think nobody could tell the difference. What a maroon!!!
    Definitely a fake bro, stear clear! ON the topic of SGs, at one point I was really interested in getting an SG, so out of curiosity I was cruising craigslist and came across a 61 reissue, so I messaged the guy just to get pictures. He then mentions that there was a neck repair, so of course I wasn't going to purchase, but I was curious to see pictures. WOW!!! This guitar had THE worst neck repair I've ever seen. It looked like he used super glue to put this thing back together, haha. There was shit oozing out from the crack, it was horrendous! Anyway, just thought I'd share, wish I still had pics to show how ridiculous this guitar looked.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

There was a vintage guitar show/swap meet in Ohio a few years ago and a woman brought in a brand new almost-never-been-played 1959 Les Paul sunburst. Her son had bought it new, and had been killed in Vietnam a few years later.
    She'd kept the thing under his bed in the case ever since then, and was just bringing it to the guitar show to see if it was worth anything.
    Fortunately, the guy running the show was an honest man and he told her it was extremely valuable. He even had the security guard walk with her around all the booths at the show so she could sell it.
    I'm glad for her that she got what it was worth. She could have easily been screwed.

If this SG was legit, I would feel obliged to email the seller and tell him he could increase the price by a factor of about 20 if he wanted to.

What do you guys think? Should we always be honest, or should the law of the jungle prevail?

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know a guy that bought an all original korina explorer for 75 bucks. He sold it for a little less than two grand a week later.

I know a chick that bought an original gold top les paul, the first year they made them, for 100 bucks at a yard sale.

Deals do show up from time to time, but like has been said, they almost never show up online...and if they do, inevitably someone will ruin it for everyone else by emailing the seller to tell them what they have.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I know a guy that bought an all original korina explorer for 75 bucks. He sold it for a little less than two grand a week later.

I know a chick that bought an original gold top les paul, the first year they made them, for 100 bucks at a yard sale.

Deals do show up from time to time, but like has been said, they almost never show up online...and if they do, inevitably someone will ruin it for everyone else by emailing the seller to tell them what they have.
    This is a very valuable lesson for young guitarists out there: Never cheat on a woman who's house or apartment you share before marriage. My first wife had a seriously unhinged friend when both were in their early twenties, who found out her boyfriend had been screwing around on her. She kicked the boyfriend right out of the house on Friday evening, then promptly had a garage sale over the weekend before he returned, selling off all of his guitars and equipment for prices ranging from a quarter to three dollars, max.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    This is a very valuable lesson for young guitarists out there: Never cheat on a woman who's house or apartment you share before marriage. My first wife had a seriously unhinged friend when both were in their early twenties, who found out her boyfriend had been screwing around on her. She kicked the boyfriend right out of the house on Friday evening, then promptly had a garage sale over the weekend before he returned, selling off all of his guitars and equipment for prices ranging from a quarter to three dollars, max.
    nice. wish I had lived in their neighbourhood!

I never catch these deals myself. I always get a call from someone who says "DUDE! I just got a blah blah blah and only paid 50 bucks!!!!"
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

11.17.09 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn, that sucks...although I wouldn't have minded to be strolling through that neighborhood while the sale was going on.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    nice. wish I had lived in their neighbourhood!

I never catch these deals myself. I always get a call from someone who says "DUDE! I just got a blah blah blah and only paid 50 bucks!!!!"
    Initially I thought it was bullshit, until my (then) girlfriend showed me the acoustic she bought for a quarter at the sale. The whole thing reminds me of the "Woman sells Cadillac for twenty dollars" story. The legend goes that her husband runs away with his secretary, telling his wife to sell his car and golf clubs and to send him the money. So she takes out an ad, selling both for around twenty bucks. People do not call, thinking it's a misprint. Finally, one guy does call, and she explains the story, selling the caller the car and the clubs for a ridiculously low amount.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by groovetuber View Post
    Damn, that sucks...although I wouldn't have minded to be strolling through that neighborhood while the sale was going on.
    kinda makes me want to start checking out every single yard sale in my neighbourhood, just in case.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

For what its worth, I can confirm that this guitar is not a real SG, at least from the pictures...I'm no expert but do know a lot about Les Pauls/SG's and have a few books about them. First thing, the SG didn't come out until 1961, as they still made original singlecut Les Pauls in 1960. The SG was a replacement after the original Les Paul design was discontinued. The '61 SG's actually looked a lot like the current version...same headstock, body shape, pickguard and the appearance is very similar...that's why there are reissues put out by Gibson/Epiphone these days that look much like the modern-day SG. There is no way that guitar is a real Gibson. I hope this helps...
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.28.12 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, I would take whatever she got for my stuff and pay the difference to go rent a wood chipper...